Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to get this toning?

Old 03-29-2014, 07:37 PM
How to get this toning?

How do you get toning like these?
I like those color one in the women's section.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2014, 09:01 PM
Re: How to get this toning?

Hue/sat, Saturation down.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2014, 10:52 PM

Let's look at them step by step and identify similar characteristics. Some are fully desaturated to black and white. This can be done with hue/saturation or monochromatic channel mixer. If you dislike the normal blending of hue saturation, try set to color blending mode. The color ones are also somewhat low in saturation. You can probably get this with something between -10 and -20. If you have a lot of variation in skintones, quickmask is your friend for further adjustments. Much of the time you'll find that these things have been simplified to provide a certain tone to shadows or highlights, but trying to do it to the image as a whole doesn't always work. In each of these the background is deepened to differing degrees and offset in color on the color versions. I can tell this just by looking at them and having seen a lot of digital files. It's even more evident due to the halos on some. I can mask better than that, but it can be time consuming to get it just right depending on the image. Of course the slight haloing can also be a sign that they were sharpened slightly with a medium to wide radius. I doubt it though, and I wouldn't recommend it. it's too easy to overdo that kind of thing. These photos have a lot of detailing balancing the whites of the eyes. The irises have obvious retouching, as do the lashes. The cheekbone areas are emphasized. I've worked on a few similar to this and seen enough of them to spot it. Things like the eyes and brows are especially obvious just because of how much they differ in brightness from surrounding areas.

Okay now for practical application.... if I had to work on something like this or someone used these for reference as to what they wanted, here is how I would approach them. At the very least I would have a quickmask or path for the backgrounds. They're offset from the subject. It's obvious, and I wouldn't be able to complete them without that. I would also have something for the skin. Depending on difficulty, I might use quickmask to outline it. The eyes would be the other crucial mask and possibly the brows. Brows would definitely be done with quickmask.

I would then try to block out the look. With an unadjusted background, these would appear flat to me. It needs the right offset to make the subject stand out. Once that is done I would know if the skin and clothing need really specific adjustment or if they can be mostly included in the overall. I would probably go for the eyes next. They often add a feeling of contrast to the image, and if they aren't done correctly the subject won't necessarily feel as bold to the viewer. Things like emphasis on cheekbones or the highlights on legs and things are things you'll have to learn. You can't just do them without some understanding of the subject. There are specific muscles and bones in those regions, and you have to account for them or it will look cheesy. There are other critical areas, like the definition where the nostril borders the cheek. There are some of these where I might also have to tweak the clothing separately. Sometimes a mask is required. Other times you can get away without it. I'm just looking at this and trying to gauge whether without the use of highly specific adjustment if I could create that difference between two surfaces without isolating one from the other. Much of the time I couldn't. The way I might get some of that clothing or a background to a certain density range could ruin delicate qualities in the skin. The same goes for if I tried to make the eyes so high in contrast via a global adjustment.

Hopefully this helps you somewhat. The problem I see regularly with these kinds of questions is that the person asking isn't asking about the tone at all. They're asking about the overall mood of the image which involves much more than simple color correction.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2014, 04:06 PM

You need two adjustment layers on top of the BG.
Hue/sat adjustment, take yellow down to like -20
Vibrance adjustment, take down Vibrance to like -15~20 , take saturation down to about same value.
You might push the values even further down, then, put the two layers in a group, lower the overall opacity of the group to taste.

Keep in mind that those values are relative, every picture is unique in its color tone. This is why you need to take the values more than what I mentioned above, then play with group opacity .
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching