RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Is there any video out there for a similar task?

Old 05-22-2014, 04:44 PM

Re: Is there any video out there for a similar tas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repairman View Post
My first impression was that it is an art director's layout to brief a retoucher. Apart from the clumsy repetition of rocks etc, the integration of the vehicle is poor. Not a splash or drop of water on the bonnet or bumpers? Wheel spin blur travelling at very low speed? I love the way the heather drops in and out of focus in all directions though lol.
Your explanation is plausible, although I've seen published shots where they deliberately left out certain splashes so as not to obscure details of the vehicle. The vehicle paint and metal has definitely been retouched, and the reflections used aren't entirely in line with the choice of backplate. I'm wondering if this is a mockup to repurpose a retouched image from another shot as a cost cutting measure. I noticed the heather. It's just quick cloning with a soft brush. The original source may be sharper. They did the same thing with foilage on the other side.

Quote:
Given the skewed appearance of the front end details, it looks like the vehicle has been distorted to sit within the terrain. Having the headlights on would give it the picture a boost too. Putting a windscreen highlight over the driver is an oft used device to disguise driver ethnicity - it enables use of the image across different markets. A bit crude in this case though. Of course, this could all be an elaborate joke!?
I always wondered why they did that windshield highlight thing. I'm not sure about the distortion. I noticed the scaling was off and that it wasn't shot with the same focal length/proximity. That could be it. I don't see its value as a joke, and as mentioned that paint is definitely retouched. I don't think it's possible to light a car to look like that straight from the camera.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2014, 01:59 AM

Windscreen highlights are also used to hide the fact there is no driver at the wheel like in a studio shot! Also, the reflections on the side windows are of a flat landscape at odds with the mountain valley setting. The front passenger side corner has been stretched IMO; the distortion is given away by the raised panel on the bonnet (hood) not being parallel to the screen or the front bonnet edge and there is a kink in the bumper (fender). The colour has been applied more as a flat wash than naturally but that seems to be the trend along with other HDR effects. Of course we can only guess at the reasons behind the project but it feeds a fun debate!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
My first impression was that it is an art director's layout to brief a retoucher.
That makes sense. A crudish comp.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2014, 03:07 PM

I agree with Repairman, it looks like an art director's layout to brief a retoucher.....

Where did you find this?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Windscreen highlights are also used to hide the fact there is no driver at the wheel like in a studio shot! Also, the reflections on the side windows are of a flat landscape at odds with the mountain valley setting. The front passenger side corner has been stretched IMO; the distortion is given away by the raised panel on the bonnet (hood) not being parallel to the screen or the front bonnet edge and there is a kink in the bumper (fender). The colour has been applied more as a flat wash than naturally but that seems to be the trend along with other HDR effects. Of course we can only guess at the reasons behind the project but it feeds a fun debate!
I always thought part of their purpose was to indicate the shape of the windshield in that vehicle. So much of car lighting and retouching is to show off various shapes. I'm not sure what you mean by HDR effects, because that term is used in a number of ways. I was pointing out that if it was rendered, lighting domes don't always produce the most realistic reflections. It's just not necessarily possible to rebuild everything perfectly for an outdoor shot. Indoors you could get a lot closer with primary structures. Hdr textures could be mapped to those, so the contributions of their indirect reflections could be computed to a higher degree of accuracy relative to the capabilities of that rendering engine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2014, 01:25 PM

That's a final composite ad of Tata Storme SUV. Not a mockup of sorts.
Also, I've found another one:
http://soulsteer.com/wp-content/uplo...23f3842f22.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2014, 06:33 AM

Oh, well, Tata. That explains a lot.

Those two images probably show the typical commute to work on the average Indian road.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insmac View Post
That's a final composite ad of Tata Storme SUV. Not a mockup of sorts.
Also, I've found another one:
http://soulsteer.com/wp-content/uplo...23f3842f22.jpg
I also like that, for the splashing, etc, there is actually no mud at all on the surface of the vehicle...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
I also like that, for the splashing, etc, there is actually no mud at all on the surface of the vehicle...
I find it amusing how they maintained contrast on the foglamps. There are just so many things here that don't work for me. The reflections are too tinted. Even metallic paint wouldn't give off that beige reflection color. The splashes don't really work, and in some parts I can't even tell what is supposed to be happening. Beyond that the splashes themselves are way too sharp. They're in motion, yet someone applied heavy sharpening. Their color correction is also off relative to their surroundings. I think the worst part might be how the windshield lighting is coming from the wrong direction. I would have a difficult time with such a composite, but I wouldn't want to hand something over that looks like this. I suspect that this was produced in house.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching