RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Why I hate frequency separation

Old 07-18-2014, 11:59 PM

Re: Why I hate frequency separation

Quote:
Originally Posted by typiac View Post
First at all, I didn't say that I take one day for an editorial image. I said that I have one day to retouch THE ENTIRE editorial!

Winning more than 30 minutes could be very easy with FS but once again, I said we always need DB after. FS could be necessary...or not, exactly like DB. It depends of the photographer, the model, the lights, the kind of magazine, the country...
Oh you misinterpreted me. I meant that I laugh whenever anyone claims something like that or in other words I was sort of agreeing with you. I read through several posts pretty quickly.

I've still never seen that kind of gain in time, although as I've mentioned in another thread there are slightly similar methods used in other areas of graphics (look for edge preserving decomposition). There are a lot of areas where something may look rough yet not require very much to correct that. I guess I never found a real use for it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2014, 05:10 AM

Explain to me how on earth can you select each clothing item, eyes, lips, shoes, accessories in color blocking editorial in 30 minutes? And decide on the raw conversion? No f-ing way. You need and hour at least for a clean fashion image, everything on top of that is how detailed you want to go with the clean-up, but an hour is a must.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
Oh you misinterpreted me. I meant that I laugh whenever anyone claims something like that or in other words I was sort of agreeing with you. I read through several posts pretty quickly.

I've still never seen that kind of gain in time, although as I've mentioned in another thread there are slightly similar methods used in other areas of graphics (look for edge preserving decomposition). There are a lot of areas where something may look rough yet not require very much to correct that. I guess I never found a real use for it.
Sorry Klev, it was just to be sure!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
Explain to me how on earth can you select each clothing item, eyes, lips, shoes, accessories in color blocking editorial in 30 minutes? And decide on the raw conversion? No f-ing way. You need and hour at least for a clean fashion image, everything on top of that is how detailed you want to go with the clean-up, but an hour is a must.
I think you have a perfect example at the end of the movie The September Issue. Patrick Demarchelier is shooting a color block! They don't need to retouch so much because:

1- the light is soft and progressive
2- the clothes are perfect
3- there's just some little parts with skin

30min...45 or 1hour, it's ok but be careful to don't make Anna Wintour hungry!

http://fashionthrumylenses.files.wor...er_2007_we.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2014, 07:31 AM

That image is not only color corrected, but also DNBed quite a lot, and I would also guess a merge of two images (and i checked the movie, and yes it is a merge of two images).

So, no less than an hour, and that's not getting into finer things like local DNB on the the coat and the hat; that was done, BTW.

Time is important, but at the same time, in order to give a good performance as an artist, you need to feel the image, and be patient to get the details right.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2014, 09:59 AM

You're right, two pics are merged in...5 seconds and you can see this in live during the movie! ^^

For me, it's more a curves work than a DB one. Men's skin hasn't been retouched, shadows and reflexion on the coat, the shoes too.. It's a strong team work but a very light retouch with a beautiful light used by Patrick Demarchelier for 20 years. But it's just my opinion!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2014, 11:25 AM

Looking at a video of a picture on a screen is not an accurate representation. Yes, they are a fantastic team with everything at their disposal, but there is no such thing as "good enough" out of the camera.

Colors always need to be worked on, and even if it was shot perfectly, 40+mpix file'll take 2 minutes at least to develop into tiff so that x2=4 minutes and you haven't even opened the file.

Time adds up pretty quick.

Also, let's make it clear, it's a double spread, not a billboard, so the images are quite small, so if you don't go into detail, you can finish much faster then when you need to path everything out for a campaign or similar purpose.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching