RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Any books on learning CGI photography?

Old 07-18-2014, 11:56 AM

Any books on learning CGI photography?

I am talking about images like this and this.

I beg to differ. I was talking about learning Photoshop for CGI art.

Last edited by beefhitler; 07-18-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2014, 02:17 PM

Re: Any books on learning CGI photography?

There is not as much CGI here as you might think. okay buildings obviously, and baloon in the second one, but all the people and most of the scenery in front was a composite.

Well, learning how light behaves(photography), how colors affect one another (color theory), composition(drawing, painting ,photography...)... Basically you need to understand the concept from an illustrators point of view.

There are no additional techniques/tools involved. Maybe 3d in photoshop, but that is still in it's early days.

What I'm saying is: learn the tools, and practice practice practice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2014, 02:28 PM

Looks like Steven Wilkes work (a friend of mine) and he does obviously multiple exposures and work in Photoshop, it's not CGI per se. It's great photography (he was Jay Masiel's assistant for years) and really good Photoshop work.

http://webodysseum.com/art/day-and-n...tephen-wilkes/
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
There is not as much CGI here as you might think. okay buildings obviously, and baloon in the second one, but all the people and most of the scenery in front was a composite.

Well, learning how light behaves(photography), how colors affect one another (color theory), composition(drawing, painting ,photography...)... Basically you need to understand the concept from an illustrators point of view.
It's a misconception that you would require CG to create those buildings. Apart from that there isn't a good reference book on the specific topic mentioned by the OP, because it's too small of a market. It would mean being competent with the basics of modeling, texturing, and lighting as well as retouching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
There are no additional techniques/tools involved. Maybe 3d in photoshop, but that is still in it's early days.

What I'm saying is: learn the tools, and practice practice practice.
I doubt that will ever take off. They started adding tools with CS3, and they're poorly designed aside from being limited.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
Looks like Steven Wilkes work (a friend of mine) and he does obviously multiple exposures and work in Photoshop, it's not CGI per se. It's great photography (he was Jay Masiel's assistant for years) and really good Photoshop work.

Oh man those are lovely. Thanks for the link.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2014, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post

Great images, like I said, it's more about compositing. And true, klev, there is no need for them to be CGI.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2014, 06:50 AM

Taylor James has step by step videos on their website for some projects:
http://www.taylorjames.com/project/csx/?thumb=3314
http://www.taylorjames.com/project/g...13/?thumb=8443
to give you an idea of the work that goes into creating these scenes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2014, 11:57 AM

OP here. I understand what you guys are saying about the Photoshop usage. I have been using Photoshop for retouching for quite a while. I just wanted to read up something on Photoshop Compositing. Step by step videos showing the Photoshop window also helps. Is there anything out there which is actually written in the form of a book?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefhitler View Post
OP here. I understand what you guys are saying about the Photoshop usage. I have been using Photoshop for retouching for quite a while. I just wanted to read up something on Photoshop Compositing. Step by step videos showing the Photoshop window also helps. Is there anything out there which is actually written in the form of a book?
I can't think of a single really good one that focuses solely on photoshop. Ron Brinkman's "The art and science of digital compositing" would probably teach you a few things, as it has some case studies of stuff taken from different sources. It's not so much about still image compositing through, and topics like chroma key work don't really translate well to what you're doing. Something that focuses on matte painting might help, due to its inherent similarity when combining generated objects with painted details and altered photos. I'm still not 100% sure on that. Lastly you could look at books that deal with digital illustration, because the concepts are very similar and translate well. You line up elements, shade and color correct to match certain components and imply shared light sources, and fix details. If you're lacking a good foundation there, you would probably learn something. Step by step isn't likely to help you learn anything, as you'll just end up copying without any idea what to do on the next image. It imparts a false sense of security.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2014, 01:42 PM

As klev knows, and his advice help me a lot, once you "get" one visual art, you'll be reasonably good at all of them, then it's just up to the practice and using specific tools.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching