RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to edit like Meg Bitton?!

Old 09-05-2014, 11:09 PM

Re: How to edit like Meg Bitton?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkain View Post
You can't shoot sun flare if the sun isn't there. That's probably why a lot of her work is done in post. She probably knows what she is going to do with a photo when she shoots it. So she isn't fixing anything. She is creating a specific style.
Um, I think it's a bright object in front of the lens, be it simulated or real, but it's not trying to be a sun flare.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2014, 05:03 AM
Patron

Quote:
I'm sure you are trying to be helpful in some way, however, nothing in what you've said speaks to Meg Bitton's work, how she achieves her look, or how the OP can get closer to understanding it.
And I am not sure of your point or if you are actually now baiting.

Why should anyone here waste time Googling anything - this should be done before posting here and if the answer cannot be found the question can then be asked

This is very simple post and image of your own and a specific example of where you want to get with this particular image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2014, 04:08 AM

Quote:
It looks like mostly post with fake bokeh and fake flare/fogginess. Google Image search 'Meg Bitton before and after'. It is simple shots with a particular series of post adds. It is not a bunch of fancy camera tricks. A shallow depth of field is probably a good start though.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/73...9c5b786232.jpg
You picked such a bad example! There is no bokeh in either the before or after!

What is "fake"! It is her vision, I would not call it fake! You are over simplifying things. If you are a true Photog/Retoucher like most of us here, you would know that it is a lot faster and cleaner to do it in camera than in post!!! Setting a shallow aperture is FANTASY! Oh my lord!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2014, 10:51 AM

Looks like she's got a full bag of tricks:

http://www.pinterest.com/jaykowalik/...ore-and-after/

How to edit like that? When you have the before/afters it's great, do all you can to make the before look like the after. Clone, composite, selectively change colors, density, opacity, etc.

The OP seems to have bailed on the conversation but if they have questions on how to do any of those things we can try to help. But there is no singular "technique" at play. Just a lot of work to develop a vision.

http://picturedmomentsbyapril.co/top...ined-workshop/
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2014, 08:28 PM

I was able to crack her secret!.........She is a damn good photographer!

To the OP and some others, Photoshop is like a car body-shop! If you start with old rusted beat up car, no matter how much work or paint you put on the car, it is still old rusted beat up car!!!!!

Photoshop is like makeup, it brings out the beauty and enhance the vision, this is all to it! Photoshop complements but dose not create!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
I was able to crack her secret!.........She is a damn good photographer!

To the OP and some others, Photoshop is like a car body-shop! If you start with old rusted beat up car, no matter how much work or paint you put on the car, it is still old rusted beat up car!!!!!

Photoshop is like makeup, it brings out the beauty and enhance the vision, this is all to it! Photoshop complements but dose not create!
Sure she's a good photographer, but she's a good photoshop artist as well. If someone is inspired by her work, why shouldn't they explore that aspect of it?

Further up the thread you stated her post work was fairly minimal, and seem to still be trying to tow that line. Maybe it's semantics, but I think of "minimal post work" as largely global and/or achievable in a 'basic' raw editor (exposure, contrast, white balance, etc). Her stuff is a good bit more involved than that.

I think if you'd allow for the possibility that some of the posters in this thread aren't so much trying to salvage bad photography, but are trying to take good photography to another level, you'd need far fewer exclamation points in your replies.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
Sure she's a good photographer, but she's a good photoshop artist as well. If someone is inspired by her work, why shouldn't they explore that aspect of it?

Further up the thread you stated her post work was fairly minimal, and seem to still be trying to tow that line. Maybe it's semantics, but I think of "minimal post work" as largely global and/or achievable in a 'basic' raw editor (exposure, contrast, white balance, etc). Her stuff is a good bit more involved than that.

I think if you'd allow for the possibility that some of the posters in this thread aren't so much trying to salvage bad photography, but are trying to take good photography to another level, you'd need far fewer exclamation points in your replies.
My bad, you are right. I should have been a bit more clear. By minimal I meant comparing to what you see in Vogue and high fashion print. I was comparing to the stuff that once in a while we get "How do they do this?"

By no means I was minimizing her effort, obviously she is master at Photoshop as well, her post work is elegant but minimal, nothing wrong with this statement, which also makes her work hard to reproduce since her post is just part of a vision that starts long before the shutter is released.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
... her post is just part of a vision that starts long before the shutter is released.
As it should be with anyone who's a photographer rather than a retoucher. One of my favourite sayings back in the '80s was, "an amateur photographer takes pictures, a professional photographer makes pictures." Perhaps I should update that for the digital age, "An amateur photographer takes pictures and then buggers around with them in photoshop trying to get something decent and occasionally gets lucky. A pro photographer vsualises the end result before scouting for locations, props, talent, and decides what photoshop or other post processes he or she is going to use before they take the picture." Same-same, really.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2014, 07:20 PM

I haven't bailed! I just want to see what everyone has had to say. I have seen many of Meg's before and afters. Yes, the original image is great. But her post processing is huge in her work. It doesn't have to be specific to any of her photos. Many if not most have similar editing styles.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2014, 04:23 AM
Patron

Perhaps this blog may be of some interest by someone who took one of her workshops
http://picturedmomentsbyapril.co/top...ined-workshop/
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching