RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to edit like Meg Bitton?!

Old 09-01-2014, 10:36 PM

How to edit like Meg Bitton?!

How the heck does Meg do what she does? I want that soft hazy, yet creamy and sharp look. How does she edit? Anyone?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2014, 06:48 AM
Patron

Re: How to edit like Meg Bitton?!

Well I took a look at some of her work and she is an excellent photographer and well versed in photo editing. But the artistic side is what makes her unique. She does offer some online courses where she will critique your work if you wish to go that far.

Last edited by philbach; 09-02-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2014, 09:36 AM
Patron

I agree with Phil. This is not just simply photo editing of any old image in PS there are other things to consider including the photographers visualisation of how the final image will appear - which should/may be made before even the shutter button is pressed and only finally realised once editing complete.

If you really want to get the same 'look' then I would suggest providing an image of your own (i.e. your copyright image) and a link to the 'look' you want to achieve from a particular photographer. This I am sure would help others to offer specific suggestions of editing steps
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2014, 11:12 AM

In addition to what was mentioned above, Bokeh/DOF is a major and integral factor of her photographic framing and technique. This has nothing to do with retouch or edits. This is decided upon before the picture is even taken.

Post work is minimal but elegant!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2014, 06:08 PM

Long lens. Wide aperture. Diffusion over lens. Shoot into the light. That'll get you close before you even open Photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2014, 12:46 PM

It looks like mostly post with fake bokeh and fake flare/fogginess. Google Image search 'Meg Bitton before and after'. It is simple shots with a particular series of post adds. It is not a bunch of fancy camera tricks. A shallow depth of field is probably a good start though.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/73...9c5b786232.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2014, 09:13 PM

Knowing basic photography is hardly "fancy camera tricks." However, I accept that there is an attitude today that you can take any kind of crap photo and "fix it in post."
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2014, 10:28 PM

You can't shoot sun flare if the sun isn't there. That's probably why a lot of her work is done in post. She probably knows what she is going to do with a photo when she shoots it. So she isn't fixing anything. She is creating a specific style.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by franko60 View Post
Knowing basic photography is hardly "fancy camera tricks." However, I accept that there is an attitude today that you can take any kind of crap photo and "fix it in post."
+1. Much can actually be achieved SOOC for a photographer that knows what he/she is doing and has actually visualised the end product.

Yes PP work will almost always be needed to reach the original visualisation but will/should IMO be minimised by those that know their craft prior to pressing that shutter button. I feel there is a general tendency for some to neglect the important first stages of image acquisition and rely on trying to fix in post - or as it is sometimes referred to plain old fashioned turd polishing . Of course this just a generalisation and not aimed at any particular individual including the OP

There are probably 100's of threads here asking similar questions and without knowing the starting point of the posters original image and the 'look' they want to achieve it is usually a futile exercise to suggest the means to achieve such in post. Hence the suggestion to actually post an image of your own with a link to a finished result that you admire from another photographer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2014, 06:54 PM

I'm sure you are trying to be helpful in some way, however, nothing in what you've said speaks to Meg Bitton's work, how she achieves her look, or how the OP can get closer to understanding it. So I don't see the point of the lecture. Her work is accomplished in post a great deal. You can Google and find a few of her before and afters. So, speaking to the lack of photographic skill that you perceive in the industry adds nothing to the OP's quest for knowledge. Photographers who are also digital artists understand what they are capturing and they know what they are going to do with it in post. Who cares what amateurs are doing in their spare time? Fixing their pics? So what. There are probably a few people out there right now taking pics with the lens cap on. Who cares? I'd like to focus on the positive and the point.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching