RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

When flatten image yellowish blotch appears

Old 09-17-2014, 05:06 AM

Re: When flatten image yellowish blotch appears

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
This is why I said that if it looks good, just keep it as it is, and simply flatten by saving.
That's how I typically save out jpegs, assuming they don't need to be resized. The goal should always be to minimize errors by the way things are structured. Avoid duplicates of the same layer mask assigned to different layers. Instead use "create clipping mask" or a layer group with the mask assigned. Try to always keep a reliable background layer so as to avoid accidental partial transparency. Avoid duplicates of the same adjustment layer type unless there is a real reason you want to keep them separate. Delete explicit layer masks on any adjustment layer that should be applied over the entire image. That way you can't accidentally add some small amount of density. This isn't related to flattening issues, but label everything with a short descriptive name. These are things that I use to keep files as manageable as possible.

I think that's my list, and most of it contributes to avoiding these kinds of things.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2014, 05:07 AM

@ klev
Thanks for advice. I am attaching screenshot to make things easier for us. Sharpened layer is marked in red. Whenever I leave this layer ON while flattening at once all layers to a single layer image yellowish blotch appears. If I turn OFF this red layer or delete it problem gets eliminated.
I have also checked all layers opacity , density feather one by one nothing unusual. All opacities at 100% so densities. I had feather on one alpha(mask) at 9 so I turned it back to 0 problem was there still the until I eliminated RED sharpened layer. Surprisingly after image was flattened I copied ctrl+J layer on top and sharpened it the same way I do all the time. NO problem whatsoever.
@skoobey What do you mean? ,, Also, be aware that if you don't flatten at once ,but in steps, these kind of problems can emerge if you affect the layer stack while flattening."
As I said I never experienced problem like this before and the reason I flatten it is my client wants flattened TIFF as final. Is there any other way to do it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg layers.JPG (38.1 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by nebulaoperator; 09-17-2014 at 05:12 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2014, 05:12 AM

Did you examine that problematic layer to see if the blotch is there? These things usually happen due to an error in a mask, a layer with some transparency not related to the layer mask (typically accidental eraser tool or previously applied mask), and a couple other reasons. If you're having trouble when that one is turned on, then look at it. Also make sure to re-open afterward. There's always the remote possibility of something being redrawn incorrectly when not at 100%. Typically that only happens with strange layer combinations, but it could happen.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2014, 05:28 AM

I know what you mean. those little bits and pieces that causing problems time after time. RED layer is 100% opacity on. What I also did is repeated same proceeder from last layer up to RED with RED OFF and I still get same result. When looking at image zoomed in it doesn't appear so bad as soon image is zoomed back it gets even worse. I don't have time to investigate further for now at least I found ,,error,, in RED layer which is satisfactory for me now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2014, 07:58 AM

I wonder if the problem might be to do with sharpening areas of the blue cloth which are in or out of focus. Where the cloth is in focus the sharpening halos which emphasise the fine highlight and shadow components of the texture may encroach on the mid-toned areas where the colour resides. If this were the case, the resulting areas might appear to take on a complementary cast i.e. yellowish.

I've attached a sample of what I mean, which is rotated to avoid moire problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test.jpg (80.1 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2014, 08:10 AM

Spot on . Funny thing if I zoom in like 500-600+ it would like sharpening taking and highlighting texture but as soon as I zoom back it becomes yellow and the area that suffers is in focus.If you think of yellow is opoosite to blue(curves or colour balance slider). Surely it has technical explanation.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2014, 08:36 AM

I admit I have only skimmed this thread (all you can do when skoobey and klev are posting ) ...

Maybe a solution is an asymmetric frequency split, then apply your unsharpen filter on only the high frequency layer - or something like that.

-- shift studio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2014, 10:55 AM

,,I admit I have only skimmed this thread (all you can do when skoobey and klev are posting ) ...,,
Bingo! It did a job. I compared both : sharpening claw layer filter>unsharpen and HF layer in split . Higher frequency is not effected by yellow blotch.
Many Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2014, 10:55 AM

Can't you just make a new layer on top and do Command + Option + Shift + E? Then delete the layers below that you don't want to keep. I often do this and never have had problems with layers set to different blending modes or adjustment layers merging in a way that produced results that made the image look different from how it looked before the merge.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2014, 11:01 AM

@caravaggio

Did that too. Claw is eventually Command + Option + Shift + E you suggesting to do. I do practice claw on top of the rest then delete everything else apart from original file so my client can see before and after. Never had a problem with that up to now.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching