RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Trying my hand at beauty retouching

Old 10-03-2014, 11:56 AM

Trying my hand at beauty retouching

Hi All,

I've just started studying retouching for a few weeks and really want to seriously get into doing this. That being said, I'd love for someone to rip through my retouches and point out the flaws in my method or choices that I can't yet see so that I can take my work to the next level. Please be as critical as you can

Thanks,

David

My Retouch

Haven't been able to find anywhere to share the full size one on, everything seems to shrink it down...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test01_zpsf0606a8b.jpg (95.7 KB, 134 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2014, 07:23 AM

Re: Trying my hand at beauty retouching

86 views and no comments?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2014, 07:49 AM

There is simply too much left to do. You barely scraped the surface.
Make a desaturation adjustment layer on top of the layer stack,set saturation to -100 and blend mode to color. Even out the tones.

Also, skin has not be cloned on the face, nails are not sharp, eyes don't sand out. Hair line is not even, and overall color is not even.

That armpit on the camera is an eyesore.

Keep at it, you'll get better. Only sure way not to get better is to give up.
test01_zpsf0606a8b.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2014, 09:18 AM

Get yourself a reference point which might be a nicely done jewellery ad campaign and see what's done there, similarities between different photos. Thing is, this kind of ad tends to be overdone a bit (i.e. Tiffany) so you have to find something more subtle.

IMO you're going in the right direction - not over retouching which is a pretty common thing for starters.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2014, 10:07 PM

What I really liked about your work is that, you did not use Gaussian blur like some might have done! It tells me you are serious about your work.

I agree with all the above, however, evening out the skin tones like what skoobey recommended is a MUST. Every thing else comes after.

The overall understanding or agreement among retouchers is that, you take care of global color adjustment, then local color adjustment, by then, most of the imperfections will be gone. Only then, you start the actual retouch process on the skin, then hair, then you would move on to individual features like eyes, nose, etc, etc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2014, 06:36 AM

Hi All,

Thank you so much for the valuable input so far, I'm going over it again with the above in mind (and going through some tutorials on how to best accomplish some of it as it's fairly new to me).

I'm going to take another crack at it and will respond in a few days. I'm still very much developing the eye for what looks good with this so it's still difficult for me to see some of these flaws or really 'know' what looks best.

Thanks again for everyone who responded with input, very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2014, 11:32 AM

Easiest way is to have a reference image in the next window.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2014, 02:55 AM

Do not overthink it, too. First, watching too many images is as bad as none. That's essentially the same as with photographers - tons of photos are floating around and you can easily get tired after a while, also it certainly does not keep your mind clean.
You do, of course, need to get a sense of current aesthetics in the industry, that's why I've advocated watching the jewellery campaigns (or beauty ones), but keep in mind that every photographer usually wants a different output regarding the colour and contrast.

I was once in a similar situation and started to gather all the inspirations I could found, but that resulted in an overwhelming amount of files that still wouldn't help a lot, because I'd go from one to another and then onwards trying to find a "better" one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2014, 05:28 AM

Thanks Insmac, I think that (so far) is the hardest part for me. I'm finding myself looking at tons of before/afters and seeing such a wide range of aesthetics that when I'm working on my own image I really don't have a firm idea of how I think it should look.

That's one of the main reasons i came here and found this forum, I really needed outside perspective and input in order to truly grasp what I'm lacking/overdoing/not seeing and really train my eye to the proper range of professional aesthetics. I think once I have that down and have learned/developed better technique, being able to match the desired/requested style within that range will be possible.

Just going to take it one image at a time, I'm hopeful with the advice I've gotten here that the next iteration of this retouch will be several steps in the right direction
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2014, 07:58 AM

You understand what is the hard part. It's knowing what you're after, and why you're after that particular thing. You'll get there in time.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching