RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Frequency Separation on iPhone

Old 10-03-2014, 01:17 PM

Smile Frequency Separation on iPhone

Here is how to do a Frequency Separation on iPhone.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zxbxzzo4ss...Phone.pdf?dl=0
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2014, 01:59 PM

Re: Frequency Separation on iPhone

Pretty cool! will definitely check it out
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2014, 02:49 PM

Pointless.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2014, 10:02 PM

I've pointed out the origination of some of these things in other threads, in that frequency separation was really born from edge finding techniques. What you set up here is a road to nowhere. iOS has no color engine for sorting out profile data. It has only a few editing tools that would even allow the use of blending modes and layers, and yet you placed a GUI on top of this rather than distributing it as a library to be implemented by other apps. The code to accomplish this is simple enough that I wouldn't use a random API anyway. I fail to see the point beyond showing that you can write code for an anti-aliasing filter.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2014, 10:31 PM

What is this all about klev? I'm not the author of the app. The app does the job and that's enough for a mobile device. I guess nobody is going into full time retouching using an iPhone. It's just for fun.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eedmonam View Post
What is this all about klev? I'm not the author of the app. The app does the job and that's enough for a mobile device. I guess nobody is going into full time retouching using an iPhone. It's just for fun.
I wasn't referring to that. I did however miss the bottom of the pdf. I thought you could just save out something separate that way, although I would say a good Poisson solver would be the way to go rather than something that requires layers .

Also yeah I get that iphone apps tend to be more for fun than anything. I'm working on one myself.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2014, 11:28 PM

Sure, image editing on an iPhone is more about fun than anything else, but that's what people thought about computers in the past, and look where we are now I think it will be more useful to start something on the phone and be able to continue the work on a desktop computer.

And good luck on coding your app, hope to see it soon on appstore.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2014, 06:54 AM

I see Iphone and ipad being used instead of todays tablets, also as palette pickers etc. and for drawing, sketching, painting. Especially once the pressure sensitivity arrives. I can imagine myself working on a tablet, no problem, but neither software, or hardware is there yet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Sure, image editing on an iPhone is more about fun than anything else, but that's what people thought about computers in the past, and look where we are now I think it will be more useful to start something on the phone and be able to continue the work on a desktop computer.
I don't know that I see it that way. Doing something on your phone is nice in that it gives instant gratification. The tools that I think work really well there are those that stand on their own in that space rather than a way to start something to be continued later. An iPad could be different if you had the ability to assume sRGB. There are a couple apps with great features and well designed brushes, but they don't seem to do that well. Even the really good ones have only a few thousand reviews. The most successful ones so far have been designed to be self contained on your phone.

Quote:
And good luck on coding your app, hope to see it soon on appstore.
It will be a while.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching