RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Local affordable pro retoucher ?

Old 10-13-2014, 05:49 PM

Re: Local affordable pro retoucher ?

insmac,

I agree. Also, I think that a good starting point, no matter if you're a client or a retoucher is to know what you want. I've come across too many people that don't know what their goal is, and so noone can achieve it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
insmac,

I agree. Also, I think that a good starting point, no matter if you're a client or a retoucher is to know what you want. I've come across too many people that don't know what their goal is, and so noone can achieve it.
That goes both ways, there are clients who think it's essentially meaningless what the initial photo was like, you can create anything in post, no need to spending money on the shoot. Make it look expensive. And they are convinced there are no limits here, you can do it, obviously they might not be happy with the word "expensive" or "time consuming".

As for the first group, You can only give your clueless client hints or show him avaialble options when he has no idea. But even in this case if the client trusts you and doesn't want to interfere too much it is entirely possible to get really nice results. I've recently retouched a politician who initially thought of something typical for his campaign - in the end it looks more like a illustration to an interview, a classic, elegant portrait - I've convinced him along the way, showing samples and briefly explaining why it'll be beneficial.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2014, 06:51 PM

Absolutely, it's what makes us artists. Ability to make decisions. I just completed a couple of images where I changed the captured color scheme entirely and took out a light source. Why? Because it was my decision that the images needed it, and it turns out client loves the result.

Retouching on a certain level is definitely about being a "good fit". That's why it's good idea of the OP to establish a relationship with a photographer.

I say that at certain level, there are no photographers that deliver "horrible" images. Everything can be worked on, and if there is a reason to do a dramatic change, it's a good reason, because our services cost money.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2014, 08:47 PM

I will give you an answer here (Mustardeer) that may be in be in some ways redundant. I say find someone who is already working as a retoucher for an in-house corp or agency. They, like myself, will often take on freelance side work. I would say that your turn might be a little slower, but your dollars will certainly stretch more. No shortchanging them. They will still charge fairly for their time, but they have NO OVERHEAD. No insurance on their building/office, no rent, no utilities (other than their home's). They have all the equipment and resources available to them at home - and can work evenings and weekends. Just a thought. I know I used to have my own business - and now am an in-house resource. I have a small group of photographers who use me regularly. It is great relationship. I know their capabilities and how the files I receive will be - AND I know their end clients, and what they want in their final results. Whoever you use - I would suggest you have them do 1-2 images to see if you can work together and they are capable of meeting your expectations.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching