RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Copying colors from a reference image for Gradient

Old 10-16-2014, 09:35 AM

Copying colors from a reference image for Gradient

How do I take the colors from a reference image and then make a gradient map?

For example, if I want to copy the colors from these pics and make a gradient for my pic:

http://www.fashiongonerogue.com/wp-c...hotos-0001.jpg

http://b-i.forbesimg.com/jasonbelzer...Ad-1-22-14.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2014, 11:22 AM

Re: Copying colors from a reference image for Grad

The short answer is that while there are proposed methods out there for this kind of thing, some of which do an okay job, but you won't be able to apply them. There aren't any easy to use tools, and if I pointed you to the research in these areas, you wouldn't be able to read it (filled with math jargon). Your best bet is to approach those by brute force, meaning use the images as reference material while working on your own. That means you should be able to glance over every couple minutes or as often as necessary.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
The short answer is that while there are proposed methods out there for this kind of thing, some of which do an okay job, but you won't be able to apply them. There aren't any easy to use tools, and if I pointed you to the research in these areas, you wouldn't be able to read it (filled with math jargon). Your best bet is to approach those by brute force, meaning use the images as reference material while working on your own. That means you should be able to glance over every couple minutes or as often as necessary.
This. Gradient maps are amazing tools, and I am pretty much using them on every image.
What you are suggesting, however is not a good solution.

I'd suggest selectively "pushing" the colors in the right direction using curves or whatever method that deals with existing color. Then, once you've done that you can go into methods that introduce new color, such as gradient maps, solid color, painting on color layer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2014, 05:42 PM

The main issue is the colour grading from the photos you've linked can be traced back to a lot of selective adjustments, it's not an overall mapping that does the trick.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2014, 04:04 AM

I understand it's tough. How do you do it in the first place? Any good Youtube or articles on this topic?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2014, 05:30 AM

First open you raw, or if it's not raw, make a global curve to set overall temperature for the image.

Look at the local adjustments, and roughly do local color adjustments in your image.

Then do tonal adjustments, like you always do (dnb).

Refine those local color adjustments.

Keep referring to the image you are trying to emulate. You will go back and forth a bit, but that is normal, like tuning an instrument, you go each way, getting closer to the final look with each adjustment.

Different lighting doesn't mean you can't use the same color scheme, but remember that in order to get the same look, you first have to match the tones. Same exact hue and saturation don't give the same color if the luminosity doesn't match(try it).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefhitler View Post
I understand it's tough. How do you do it in the first place? Any good Youtube or articles on this topic?
There are, but I have yet to see one that doesn't suck. The people who make these videos decide on the images. They know it works well enough for that image, but it won't always generalize in that way. It also won't teach you any details needed to ensure that the overall result is a pleasing one. I'll see if I can find a video that involves some really heavy painting on photos, such as matte painting or something like that. I think you would learn more from it that could be applied at a generalized level when trying to create these things from what is readily available.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2014, 02:16 AM

Basic Photoshop tools will do it, no plugins or magic, Good old levels, HS adjustment and color balance.

This guy will show you how to do it, It is the only way to do it, the good old fashion way, by hand https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-DE49Muc0g

Even though it covers matching skin tones, you may apply the same technique to match overall color tones.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2014, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
This guy will show you how to do it, It is the only way to do it, the good old fashion way, by hand https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-DE49Muc0g
This youtube tutorial isn't good. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

He demonstrates a 'trick' for adjusting exposure and colour at exactly the same time, which I think is not a good idea for beginners who are evidently his target audience.

Last edited by AKMac; 10-19-2014 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Explanation of criticism
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
Basic Photoshop tools will do it, no plugins or magic, Good old levels, HS adjustment and color balance.

Even though it covers matching skin tones, you may apply the same technique to match overall color tones.
He is doing exactly what I just said shouldn't be done. He is comparing colors with different luminosity???

If you were to put a desaturation on top of his "different colors scale" you would see that it has no relation to luminosity.

You fix local issues with adjustments, and on top of that you have color adjustments that affect larger areas and give you "mood".
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching