Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

ELLE cover image trouble

Old 10-21-2014, 10:46 AM
ELLE cover image trouble

Hello All,

I shot an 'elle' style cover that I'm having trouble finishing.. here is where I am right now and I'm currently stuck. I can't get the fine details to be perfect.. I've done some dodging and burning to get here... can anyone help?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2014, 11:19 AM
Re: ELLE cover image trouble

Fine detail in texture you enhance in the end by sharpening. Your DNB is uneven, and that's why she looks "blotchy", lower the opacity of your brush.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2014, 11:46 AM

This has a lot of detail issues. That jacket has a quilted pattern. In my opinion you want a much cleaner look at that detail if possible. I don't mind some creasing, but I also don't like how I'm drawn to the creases rather than the jacket detail. The hair has somewhat of a gap toward the top where I might build that in too.

As for evening the skintone, it's easy to get trapped by that. Ideally when you have a lot of blotchiness like that, you want to make a conscious decision which way it should go based on the underlying bone structure and the way it faces relative to the overall lighting. Otherwise it's really easy to get either a sanded down look or something of that sort. It's tricky, because you have to be proactive in not overdoing it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2014, 05:32 PM

So, the clothing and quilting need so much work that I wouldn't bother. That's because the quality of the jacket wasn't high enough to end up beautiful and smooth.

As for the skin, it doesn't look like your Dodge and Burn is "blotchy," but more like you didn't finish retouching the image. If you are the reason that the dodge and burn is bad however, you need to work at a lower opacity and possibly lower the opacity of the layer you are dodging and burning on. if it's a curve, just keep on DnB-ing and lowering the opacity and slowly edge toward perfection. You're closer than you think.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching