RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

arched text with vanishing point

Old 10-21-2014, 12:21 PM

arched text with vanishing point

Hello,

I paint watercolors and do customized prints from the paintings. I have run into a snag on my current project. I need to be able to add arched text into the two red areas of this painting and also maintain the perspective. I am not sure how to achieve both the arch and vanishing point perspective at the same time. I have both Photoshop and Illustrator. I am fairly well versed in both but far from an EXPERT.

Please Help!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg malta-text.jpg (97.5 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2014, 01:27 PM

Re: arched text with vanishing point

Set the text or import it and place it as a layer (with transparent background) roughly positioned over the appropriate red panel. Use the EDIT >TRANSFORM>WARP tool to cajole the points of the grid into position. When you are happy with the fit use a selection of the modified text as a mask to apply colour, texture etc over your artwork.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2014, 10:34 PM

thanks... i will give that a go and hopefully that will do the trick. I was driving myself crazy trying all sorts of different options and none looked realistic perspective wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repairman View Post
Set the text or import it and place it as a layer (with transparent background) roughly positioned over the appropriate red panel. Use the EDIT >TRANSFORM>WARP tool to cajole the points of the grid into position. When you are happy with the fit use a selection of the modified text as a mask to apply colour, texture etc over your artwork.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2014, 12:46 AM

Just a thought. I'm not sure how much curve there is on the red surface but you may want to use the DISTORT tool first to reduce the depth of the right side of the text block. A further refinement would be to use the CUSTOM functions in WARP to ARC the text first. Alter the curvature of the arc by dialling in numbers. All these interactions are intuitive.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2014, 08:42 AM

I am familiar with this tool I just went about it a different way. I can achieve an arch but it also distorts the letters, which may not be a huge issue depending on how big of an arch i need. What I cant seem to achieve is a vanishing point perspective. The photo is at 3/4 angle so the text needs to not only arch in the set area but it needs to be larger on the left side and smaller as it moves to the right because it is getting further away. I see a "Custom"option under the warp tool but it is grayed out. am I missing something? any other suggestions?

thanks again

Quote:
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2014, 09:52 AM

Both the Distort and Custom options are greyed out. I am not sure why.

Quote:
Just a thought. I'm not sure how much curve there is on the red surface but you may want to use the DISTORT tool first to reduce the depth of the right side of the text block. A further refinement would be to use the CUSTOM functions in WARP to ARC the text first. Alter the curvature of the arc by dialling in numbers. All these interactions are intuitive.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2014, 09:57 AM

Never Mind.... i forgot to rasterize the type first.... thanks for the suggestions. I think this should do the trick
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching