RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Please help! Guys how to get that skin effect?

Old 11-19-2014, 04:01 PM

Re: Please help! Guys how to get that skin effect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by insmac View Post
Regarding posted image, I think it's rather simple.

It was most likely shot using a highly reflective diffuser underneath model's face. That way you have reflections on the nose, blinks in her yes obviously, lighter shadows.

What I usually do is an adjustment layer blended multiply which initially looks dull and lacks saturation and so I lower the opacity to somewhat around 50% and then create a curves adjustment with a definitive 'S curve' to give it a pop. That way I end up with deeper skin tones, rich contrast and saturation and overally more pleasing to an average viewer.

There's a skin color correction going on obviously to give it more tanned look, more yellowish I'd say but that is pretty common for a shot like this whereas for a fashion shoot you'd be going more towards lightly saturated reds and bronze.

The rest is just heavy D&B, this is too much for my taste however I do understand it's likely a beauty campaign or an editorial which looks smoother on paper due to a lack of backlight source hence the weaker whites.
Thanks a lot for help, I spend 12 hours on dodge and burn, clean out every single pore, and still cannot get that effect, anyway iam more focuse on skin texture, rather then skin tone...
I recon there is a lot of skin texture cloning, but dont know any good technics, so that why im here to looking for some PRO help...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2014, 04:20 PM

Step one: don't worry about it too much. Despite what you can hear here and there it's close to impossible to replicate certain styles without having a certain raw image in the first place. Retouching it's just shuffling pixels around but you're 99% more likely to end up with a desired result if your clean image has certain characteristics in par with chosen style.

Try work the other way round - start with an overall feel, don't worry about the pores that much, you'll get there at some point but first - fiddle with contrast, saturation and so on. I usually do some 'prototyping' trying a few slightly different looks before I go on further and decide what I like best before I start 'pixel level' work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2014, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhamonch View Post
Thanks a lot for help, I spend 12 hours on dodge and burn, clean out every single pore, and still cannot get that effect, anyway iam more focuse on skin texture, rather then skin tone...
I recon there is a lot of skin texture cloning, but dont know any good technics, so that why im here to looking for some PRO help...
That is a waste of time, because most of that time probably didn't do much to develop on the look of the image. There is something to also be said for accuracy in hand movement. Little things can add massive amounts of time due to the cumulative effect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2014, 02:43 PM

If you happen to know every BASIC tool photoshop has to offer, the ones that exist under Image\Adjustment, you should be able to create any look your heart desires.

Solid knowledge of this tools is a must, in addition to experience in color, tone and texture matching, you do this for few month, you should be able to achieve any look.

Before I go any further, I would like to clarify one aspect of DnB, there is Micro DB, and Macro, also known as Golbal DnB.

Micro DnB is used to even out skin, get rid of imperfections and fix problem areas. This one takes super long time to do, long hours, some time more than 12 hours.

The global or Macro DnB is very fast, few minutes if yo know what you are doing.

The sample picture you attached doesn't require any sort of Micro DnB. It is clean as is.

The style of outcome that you refereed to in the link in your very first post requires global DnB.

I have attached my attempt on the sample picture you attached. It was done in about 20 minutes including the required global DnB. It took me 20 minutes because I know exactly how to do it, I know every tool Photoshop has to offer, and still learning!, I also happen to be interested in color and tone matching, I know how to do it.

Pay attention, I keep saying "I know the tools", "I have the experience", "I know how to do it" - I can;t emphasize enough how important it is to know your tools and practice, practice and practice some more, only then, you would look at a picture and get a feel of what to do.

Few issues regarding my attempt:

1- Your sample is a finished product, it is sharpened, a lot, hence, I can't recreate or match the texture of the link of your first post. I need the raw file.

2- Giving the fact that your sample was taken with entirely different camera\lens setup than the ones in the link, you will end up with slightly different finish. The first set of pictures in the link all taken with the same equipment under same light setup, indoors.

3- there are two issues with my DnB, A) it is sloppy, I spent under 5 minutes, have I gave it solid 10 or 15 minutes, it would have been much better. B) This global DnB accentuated the pores in her face due to the fact that the picture was a finished product to start with, it is sharp as is.

To create my version, I used, in the following order, this adjustment layers:
Gradient Map for tan look, Black & White to mute the effect, curves in red and blue channels, color balance, curves for black point, curves for white point, DnB curves, color fill for background, color fill for overall mode.

Do not expect me to give you exact numbers, this are the ingredients not the recipe, every source picture is different, no way around this.

Bottom line, you have to get the color tone right, then, global DnB is the step that will tie it all up, it is the most important element.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg after.jpg (81.2 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhamonch View Post
Here's an image, but different artist - Julia Kuzmenko, the same principe of skin retouching, i would like to know..

She does tutorials, no? No one can recreate in a few sentences here what she's providing hours of video on.

And I've never bought her videos to say if they're good or not, just glimpses a trailer or two. But it just seems axiomatic that if you want to know how she works, and she makes tutorials explaining it in excruciating detail, you invest in one.

There are also many inexpensive shows here by retouchers far more recognized than she:

http://www.retouchpro.com/index.php?page=rentals

See Carrie Beene, Amy Dresser, Gry Garness, Chris Tarantino, etc.

Don't mean to come off as gruff. Just trying to get you where you want to get in the quickest way possible.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
She does tutorials, no? No one can recreate in a few sentences here what she's providing hours of video on.

And I've never bought her videos to say if they're good or not, just glimpses a trailer or two. But it just seems axiomatic that if you want to know how she works, and she makes tutorials explaining it in excruciating detail, you invest in one.

There are also many inexpensive shows here by retouchers far more recognized than she:

Don't mean to come off as gruff. Just trying to get you where you want to get in the quickest way possible.
And that was the exact point of my initial answer. Learn one thing at the time and practice, that's how we all started out, and we experiment all the time in all aspects, that's what keeps it fun. There is no simple answer to: how do I make my images look as the ones of top photograpers.

Main thing is knowing where you're going, and if you know where you're going, it might take you a long time, but you will get there. Not knowing where you're going means you can't achieve what you're after. Keep the referencing the work you like, and adjust yours accordingly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2014, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post

I'm looking for an idea, where to start with... i dont look for exactly the same method, but if you dont know how to, what the reason to post anything, just to be posted?!
I know how torrents youtube and google works...
thank you
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2014, 02:19 AM

Ok, here's some questions, about the methods, not the artists...

1) Is anybody know the method, with sharpenning RED and Yellow channel and than set it to luminosity??? similar method or "upgraded"

2) Lee Varis method of beauty retouching, its the very old one, maybe some one know the improved version of it?

3) Good method of skin texture cloaning, struggling with it..
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2014, 03:42 AM

3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldhG9fmgC7o - It should take care of texture issues.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2014, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldhG9fmgC7o - It should take care of texture issues.
Thank you Alladin for your help, I have seen that, also seen the Pratic Naik frequency technic etc, but i like to work with mixing brush tool, i think it does the best job for me, with blotchiness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwke...2LYtYaHmnJyTNg

been using the pause button 1000 times))

Al right! Here is another question:
i attached two pictures, if you have a look closely to the ear, you will see, that some texture been applied, any ideas what kind of texture, or have to make it?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 111.jpg (95.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 222.jpg (7.5 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching