RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Please help! Guys how to get that skin effect?

Old 11-17-2014, 03:45 PM

Please help! Guys how to get that skin effect?

http://www.gavinoneill.com/latestwork

there is not just heavy DnB something else IMHO
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2014, 05:49 PM

Re: Please help! Guys how to get that skin effect?

Lighting, setting, model, make up, hair, camera, lens, settings, angle, framing, capture, developing, cleaning up, dodging and burning, color correction, sharpening, sizing, saving, uploading, and all of those involve multiple steps.

So, how about asking about a particular thing? No one will just make you into Gavin by writing a single sentence? Any examples of yours vs. his image and what you can't get a grasp on?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2014, 06:42 PM

What you need is a case study on image editing. You have to break this much detail up into smaller chunks and get specific things to work. I mean if I had to imagine how this started, I could at least count several necessary adjustments just by looking at the lighting and brightness differences. I couldn't necessarily tell you a start to finish though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2014, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
Lighting, setting, model, make up, hair, camera, lens, settings, angle, framing, capture, developing, cleaning up, dodging and burning, color correction, sharpening, sizing, saving, uploading, and all of those involve multiple steps.

So, how about asking about a particular thing? No one will just make you into Gavin by writing a single sentence? Any examples of yours vs. his image and what you can't get a grasp on?
Just open your eyes and look at the topic question...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2014, 02:52 PM

Pick one photo out of this portfolio and people could help with the skin. You're showing a full stack of like 60 images all of which are a bit different.

On second thoughts, they all have something in common: they are over retouched (that's his style nevertheless). There's no magic here. Two thirds are shot on location sipping a refreshing drink through the straw. You have the beatiful lighting for that glossy skin, further smoothed out in post. A lot of the shots have a very uniform colour pallette - bronze skin against saturated greens and blues. Bronze is key, hence the "summer mood".
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2014, 03:00 PM

Here's an image, but different artist - Julia Kuzmenko, the same principe of skin retouching, i would like to know..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kuzmenko.jpg (94.0 KB, 105 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insmac View Post
Pick one photo out of this portfolio and people could help with the skin. You're showing a full stack of like 60 images all of which are a bit different.

On second thoughts, they all have something in common: they are over retouched (that's his style nevertheless). There's no magic here. Two thirds are shot on location sipping a refreshing drink through the straw. You have the beatiful lighting for that glossy skin, further smoothed out in post. A lot of the shots have a very uniform colour pallette - bronze skin against saturated greens and blues. Bronze is key, hence the "summer mood".
i've attached the image!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2014, 07:49 PM
Patron

Look at the Tab.. 'Site Nav' above and click on the Tutorial Section. There you will find many ways of doing the things you want... like the following :

1. The quick de-grunge trick

2. That Soft Dior Look for Portraits

3. So So to So Sexy

4. Wet Skin

5. (5) different methods to achieve the Amy Dresser look:
Amy Dresser Tutorial.pdf

6. Comments and work flow from Amy Dresser(Download the PSD at the bottom of the post to see the work flow she used to achieve this)

To achieve the skin tones you want, use a combination of some or all of the many steps presented.
The main thing is to Practice Cubed till you get what you want

Tis one thing to post a photo of what you want to achieve, and totally another, to post a photo that you are using and trying to achieve the same effect on... is the exposure the same, focus the same, pose the same, lighting the same, sharpness the same, etc.... on and on In other words where you are starting from makes a world of difference

Did you really read the response by 'Skoobey'
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
Your answer was not very nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhamonch View Post
Just open your eyes and look at the topic question...
You came here wanting help and we are all trying to help... Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lBaldy View Post
Look at the Tab.. 'Site Nav' above and click on the Tutorial Section. There you will find many ways of doing the things you want... like the following :

1. The quick de-grunge trick

2. That Soft Dior Look for Portraits

3. So So to So Sexy

4. Wet Skin

5. (5) different methods to achieve the Amy Dresser look:
Amy Dresser Tutorial.pdf

6. Comments and work flow from Amy Dresser(Download the PSD at the bottom of the post to see the work flow she used to achieve this)

To achieve the skin tones you want, use a combination of some or all of the many steps presented.
The main thing is to Practice Cubed till you get what you want

Tis one thing to post a photo of what you want to achieve, and totally another, to post a photo that you are using and trying to achieve the same effect on... is the exposure the same, focus the same, pose the same, lighting the same, sharpness the same, etc.... on and on In other words where you are starting from makes a world of difference

Did you really read the response by 'Skoobey'

Your answer was not very nice

You came here wanting help and we are all trying to help... Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot for your respond, i appreciate that!
BUT, there is nothing usefull...

1) de-grunge is very dirty and quick way of retouching the skin, also known as inverted high pass or digital powder...

2)so so, to so sexy, nothing to say, just applied couple of filters...

3)wet skin, is a basic with highlights and contouring, nothing special...

4)Amy dresser using the hevy dodge and burn technics, BUT on a shadow areas SHE replacing with noise and embos I guess, so im not looking for that...

5) That Soft Dior Look for Portraits - It could be there, but there is not enough information about skin texture replacement, So if you have more information about that technic, could you share it please!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2014, 03:55 PM

Regarding posted image, I think it's rather simple.

It was most likely shot using a highly reflective diffuser underneath model's face. That way you have reflections on the nose, blinks in her yes obviously, lighter shadows.

What I usually do is an adjustment layer blended multiply which initially looks dull and lacks saturation and so I lower the opacity to somewhat around 50% and then create a curves adjustment with a definitive 'S curve' to give it a pop. That way I end up with deeper skin tones, rich contrast and saturation and overally more pleasing to an average viewer.

There's a skin color correction going on obviously to give it more tanned look, more yellowish I'd say but that is pretty common for a shot like this whereas for a fashion shoot you'd be going more towards lightly saturated reds and bronze.

The rest is just heavy D&B, this is too much for my taste however I do understand it's likely a beauty campaign or an editorial which looks smoother on paper due to a lack of backlight source hence the weaker whites.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching