RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

how to achieve these warm tones

Old 12-12-2014, 12:50 PM

Re: how to achieve these warm tones

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoGrant View Post
I know Jamie.

He shoots everything on film.
Even if that's the case, I don't feel uncomfortable giving suggestions on how someone might approach this digitally. The quality of available equipment is at a point where you should be able to reproduce a lot of the similarity without degrading the file to the point where noise or banding become a problem.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
Even if that's the case, I don't feel uncomfortable giving suggestions on how someone might approach this digitally. The quality of available equipment is at a point where you should be able to reproduce a lot of the similarity without degrading the file to the point where noise or banding become a problem.
Not detracting from anyone's advice, just giving the direction into how it's really done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoGrant View Post
Not detracting from anyone's advice, just giving the direction into how it's really done.
Ah that's nice. I was slightly surprised to read it, because I haven't heard of anyone shooting film in several years.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2014, 04:43 AM

It can only be about the marketing, as retouching is digital anyway. If it is true.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
Ah that's nice. I was slightly surprised to read it, because I haven't heard of anyone shooting film in several years.
I'm thinking:

Vincent Peters
Alasdair McLellan

to name a few from the 'world top'... the before mentioned shots have a lot in common with McLellan's work especially with regard to the warm tones.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2014, 03:28 PM

Who cares what it was shot on? Film or digital, it's still retouched, and that's what we're discussing here, no?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2014, 03:10 AM

There are two major and distinct elements to what you see in the link

1) Equipment - camera, light setup, shooting style, etc. You can't recreate this element, only the photographer who took them can, even if giving his equipment and setup. We all know this very well.

2) Post processing, this is actually the easy part, once you develop your own style and aesthetics, you can always recreate them giving that you use the same setup every time.

Once in a while, I will attempt to recreate some style just for the fun of it and as part of getting good at what I do, this is also how I am learning the back alleys of Photoshop and the intricate interaction among the various tools and commands, in other words, this is how I gain experience in Photoshop.

Most of the time, I succeed, sometime I fail, but when I fail, it is usually due to the fact that a particular photographer used particular set of equipment that have its distinct foot print.

I was able to recreate almost 99% of the styles posted here under "How to do this, or, how to recreate this look" - I strongly recommend this as a process of getting better at Photoshop.

Throughout the process of recreating every and each style that was requested by someone, I used the usual suspects, HSL, Curves, Channel mixer, selective color, BW, High-pass, Blend If, etc, etc, Meaning, there are no secrets, no plugins, just thinking outside the box and experimenting.

Alan...

I have attached a before and after of my attempt at recreating the style that the OP pointed to, it is close enough, but, no cigar.

The usual disclaimer: This photograph is not mine, I found it on the web, I take no credit for it in any way shape or form. Too bad I don't remember the original photographer, I would have giving him credit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg style-4-before.jpg (52.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg style-4-after.jpg (60.6 KB, 53 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2014, 01:53 PM

Basically you need to have very well exposed source photograph. Everything is about lighting and the rule that only one exposure is the right one. In the case of shooting in studio photographer needs to know how to set up lights and what kind of diffusors to use.

After that it is about RAW development and other Photoshop adjustments.

Usually it requires many years of hard work and experimenting.

Try to watch light during the day, take few photographs and experiment with any image editing software.

Regards, Filip

-----------------------------
http://shotworldwide.com

Last edited by creativeretouch; 12-15-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2014, 03:07 PM

Hi guys! Newbie first answer! There we go.

First time I saw the PRESTON BUS STATION photos I was thinking to write pointing to VSCO Film Packs. Some posts after someone wrote "he uses film", so I think I'm not so far.

Sometimes I start with some basic VSCO preset in LR (but no grain) and then refine the colors (and desaturate) in PS. If I needed something with that look, that would be what I would do.

For me Kodak Portra 400 should be a good starter point.

I hope it helps,

Luke
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retouché View Post
Hi guys! Newbie first answer! There we go.

First time I saw the PRESTON BUS STATION photos I was thinking to write pointing to VSCO Film Packs. Some posts after someone wrote "he uses film", so I think I'm not so far.
I like VSCO. What they do is actually really tough. I've actually tried to develop some color remapping. You're limited on several fronts. The available methods of color remapping typically involve enormous amounts of data, and you have a certain range of numerical precision, so safeguards have to be included to ensure something doesn't blow up under certain circumstances. Beyond that iterative methods for both edge finding and 1D mappings tend to be very computationally expensive, along with the annoying issue that they introduce certain stability issues based on the precision of the data. You can do quite a bit if you have access to properly processed hdr data, but if you want to accommodate anything down to jpegs without seeing something that looks like convergence toward a given color and with gradients along edges intact, it needs some kind of smoothing pass too. Now you're up to
find edges --> develop mapping to a suitable level of convergence for each channel --> rebuild gradients and / or introduce visually stochastic noise to mitigate the appearance of loss of precision.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching