RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Overwhelmed by amount of resources,where to start?

Old 12-11-2014, 03:41 AM

Overwhelmed by amount of resources,where to start?

Theres so many great resources online, including this site. which all have different techniques - I know spending time retouching is the probably the best way to improve, but if you had to only recommend one book/dvd for fashion retouching what would it be? thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2014, 04:23 AM

Re: Overwhelmed by amount of resources,where to st

http://digitalphotoshopretouching.co...utorials-dvd-2

https://www.creativelive.com/

http://www.grygarness.com/videos-dvd-e-books/
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2014, 05:55 AM

You will be highly benefited if you search from Youtube

I Have got new Idea about retouching from the below link.

I think you will get also some new
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4s...7snXkDqSvSXMsQ

Best of Luck.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2014, 10:29 AM

Read Katrin Eismann's book, Restoration and Retouching. It's dated but it's still the best.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pco View Post
Read Katrin Eismann's book, Restoration and Retouching. It's dated but it's still the best.
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2014, 03:51 PM

For the past six years i`ve spend a lot of money on retouching dvd`s and lessons. For example: Natalie Taffarel, Gry Garness, Stanislav Petera, Creative live, Krunoslav Stifter, Erik Almas, and Jamie Ibarra. But lately i came over Timothy Sexton at lynda.com. I was highly impressed by the way he explained retouching principles, and you instantly get the impression that he`s an highly skilled retoucher. He`s worked at Box studios and now i think he is working at Gloss studios. I wish i found this lesson five years ago, and pray that he will do more instructional videos. So if you read this mr. Sexton this ,please do!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
For the past six years i`ve spend a lot of money on retouching dvd`s and lessons. For example: Natalie Taffarel, Gry Garness, Stanislav Petera, Creative live, Krunoslav Stifter, Erik Almas, and Jamie Ibarra. But lately i came over Timothy Sexton at lynda.com. I was highly impressed by the way he explained retouching principles, and you instantly get the impression that he`s an highly skilled retoucher. He`s worked at Box studios and now i think he is working at Gloss studios. I wish i found this lesson five years ago, and pray that he will do more instructional videos. So if you read this mr. Sexton this ,please do!!!
They all explain is the exact same thing. It's about creating a look. It's about creativity. Noone can tell you how to be a good composer, you make yourself one by experimenting. All off the above are great resources to learn notes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2014, 06:05 PM

You're getting even more hints (albeit good ones) in this thread and I think afterwards you might feel overwhelmend indeed.

I'd say don't get caught up in tutorials too much because you need to have your own way throughout the workflow and this is especially important in our field of work because you can really do the same thing countless ways. It doesn't matter that much if some particular approach saves you a few secs if it's not that comfortable, you have trouble working in a specific way or adjusting something using, say, curves instead of levels.

Now what I've learned a few years ago from the 'pros' was that you don't really need to know all tricks in the bag. I meet people who have the best setup possible, they know all the methods and clever combos and yet they struggle to really see what's in the picture, what needs to be corrected and what not (which is equally as important).

I'd suggest something which gets you into the fastlane of rough fixes, adjustments and important corrections to get an image in shape. You can polish it later on, but to go from a well-processed raw image through key global corrections to fixing the most important issues is really essential. Again, I've meet people who really do care too much about polishing a hand or an ear when there is colour incosistency all over the image.

I personally am a fan of what Timothy Sexton does.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2014, 06:24 PM

That's why I say: choose a look and stick with it. Don't give up until you nail it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
That's why I say: choose a look and stick with it. Don't give up until you nail it.
It is also important to step back and review, and also - don't try to replicate to the extreme, since no two shots are the same and you'll have a bad time trying to mimic your shot to look exactly alike

I think the best approach is to know the sort of "key characteristics" of each style and apply them when needed. I.e. skin color/tan of swimsuit / lingerie shots, overall look and feel of cosmetics ads / editorials (to say "beauty photos" would be too generic, too many styles exist) etc. You get the idea.

That's not to say being as consistent as possible is a bad thing, you can tell if a well known photographer has the same retoucher over the months and years - they do his various jobs and need to apply a particular "look" which a given photographer is famous / known of. I think knowing how to "get the consistent look across photoshoots" is really a super useful skill to learn.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching