RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Frequency Separation is evil

Old 01-01-2015, 12:59 AM

Re: Frequency Separation is evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeretouch View Post
If you have a deadline, you can use FS. Just take the money and do your job best as you can. But if you have time, choose the right tools.
http://shotworldwide.com
Please back your claim with a concrete example, it is the point behind this thread, It is what Doug asked us to do and asked for. Did you have a chance to examine the before and after that I linked to? did you have a chance to look at the PSD file that I linked to? Would you please point out to me and others where did FS fail in the PSD file that I attached?

My challenge to all that think that FS is a quick way or short cut or not the right way. SHOW ME WHY? with an example of before and after and if you can, attach the PSD file.

I know and I am aware that there are top of the line retouchers on this forum and on this thread specifically, I know their standing with FS and how they put it down. SHOW ME OR PUT UP!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2015, 05:53 AM

Aladdin, unfortunately I am not sitting by my computer these days and I am using my iPad instead. This is the reason I could not examine your files.

But there was posted a nice example - that wooden texture by Flashtones. In my opinion the best approach for his task is to use a luminosity mask as Doug did. But I would use it as a mask for curve adjustment layer so I will be able to change the density exactly as I wish and adjust it in the future again if needed.

It will take me seconds. Not even a minute - I am sure.

The old painters worked on their paintings for months, sometimes for years. Again, in my own opinion, the most important thing is to be able to return to examine your image after few hours or days till you are completely happy with the result.

And I think FS pushes you work fast so this is a psychological reason why I would not use it if necessary.

Have a look at this video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pssYLEX8scY

This is the most important cover of the season and it looks like it was shot somewhere in a garage.

Regards, Filip

------------------------------
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2015, 01:47 PM

@ Creativeretouch

Don't take this the wrong way, but photography is about what's in the frame? I guess it's just an entrance to the studio for when they shoot cars, load set elements etc, but even if it were improvised, who cares???

How does it push your work too far? It doesn't do anything until you do?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2015, 02:02 PM

Scoobey, yes, you are right. Reall professionals as they are are able to shoot under any conditions.
But if you shoot cover for september issue you would expect better working conditions. Am I right?

Regards, Filip

-----------------------------
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2015, 04:57 PM

Shoots only look like that in movies. Including "the september issue".

We're selling fantasy here, and yes it is more fun than your average 9-5, but it's much harder at the same time. Like, we climb trees and ladders, roll on the floor, throw and catch things, run, jump, swim... look and smell like pigs just to get the job done.

Just because something is done in a certain way, doesn't mean it's bad. For example, Testino obviously loved the large light source for this, and for example, he didn't have a leaf shutter lens, and the blowing hair would be blurred, so he opted for sunlight instead of strobe, or it was way too hot that day...

or more likely, they were already shooting at the location, and just assembled a quick set to do these images as well.

Not everything is intentional, it's art, it's fun. You get inspired, you do it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2015, 01:44 AM

Scoobey, I see it from a different point. In that movie they were able through $50k from the window, because somebody decided to do so. And today, from my point of view, they just want to save money as everyone else.

Benny is right, the quality of photographs iand retoching is very low, companies want to save money and do not want to pay fair rate to reall professionals.

Obviously, I am not talking about Mario Testino here.

Regards, Filip

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Scoobey, I see it from a different point. In that movie they were able through $50k from the window, because somebody decided to do so. And today, from my point of view, they just want to save money as everyone else.

Benny is right, the quality of photographs iand retoching is very low, companies want to save money and do not want to pay fair rate to reall professionals.

Obviously, I am not talking about Mario Testino here.

Regards, Filip

Show us a single example.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2015, 12:02 PM

It is not hard to find it. But I do not wish to judge anybody.
You need to learn how to recognize great work by yourself. You can start with names like Richard Avedon or Irwing Penn. They did not have tools we have today, but their work is outstanding.

Regards, Filip

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
It is not hard to find it. But I do not wish to judge anybody.
You need to learn how to recognize great work by yourself. You can start with names like Richard Avedon or Irwing Penn. They did not have tools we have today, but their work is outstanding.

Regards, Filip

They had printers! No, I really want to see a major campaign within the last 5 years with obvious blur across the range, or obvious bad taste... and I am not talking about "mistakes", because they always happen, I mean even Porsche and Ferrari have recalls, I am talking about intentionally doing horrible work because it's "cheaper".

It's already cheap. We are at the stage when there are only so many big players in every market, and every new addition can only be a big player.

So, there really is no sloppy work that I know of.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2015, 04:30 PM

Ok. What I see is that a lot of photographs are overdone. Too much "perfect skin" retouching, too much D&B, too much body shapping. Some fashion models look like aliens.
And FS is very powerfull tool, but a lot of people do not have power to keep themselves out of overdoing things.
And Ideas? These photographers were the best ones because they were able to bring art into their work. And I do not see it anymore. But this is not only their fault.

Sorry, I do not wish to continue in this debate.

Regards, Filip

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching