RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Retouching with exact profile but is desaturated

Old 01-19-2015, 03:55 PM

Retouching with exact profile but is desaturated

Im retouching with my photographers ICC profile on a retina display but the calibration is still off. Mine is less saturated with his profile but everything else is correct.

We dragged his profile from his Mac Tower to my 15inch Macbook Pro w/retina via a usb flash drive.

Anyone else had an issue with this?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2015, 04:00 PM

Re: Retouching with exact profile but is desaturat

How is your monitor calibrated?
How is your Photographer's monitor calibrated?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2015, 04:04 PM

Weve used a Lacie Blue Eye Pro on both monitors(his and mines) and when we noticed it still was de saturated, we dragged his ICC profile to mines and used it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2015, 01:13 AM

Is it desaturated with or without his ICC.

You can't use some one else ICC even if both have same monitor. I mean the ICC that gets created as result if calibration.

Make sure that the .PSD file has no ICC or profile impeded in it.

Last edited by Aladdin; 01-20-2015 at 01:18 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2015, 04:00 AM

Are you saying that you dragged his display profile to your machine? Without going into detail, a display profile basically sets up a depiction of the display more than anything. It would not be appropriate for a different display. I should also mention that "retina" is not a display type. It's one of Apple's pending trademarks. It just refers to high pixel density in a marketing friendly way. The display is an IPS display with no hardware or low level means of calibration. You might want to describe what you mean by saturated. If the colors looked way off, it may have been using an incorrect profile. If you had an external display connected to your macbook pro, it may have assigned the wrong thing when dragging between windows.

You do not want your display set to a profile that was written for a different display under any circumstances. Some software packages have correlation tools, but they mostly take a lowest common denominator route and are still intended for similar displays, typically of the same model.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2015, 07:31 AM
Patron

The problem you described is most often a result of color management. What color space are the photos tagged with (AdobeRGB, sRGB, ProPhoto). Assuming you are using PS, what color space are you working in and are your color profile mismatch warnings turned on?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
Is it desaturated with or without his ICC.

You can't use some one else ICC even if both have same monitor. I mean the ICC that gets created as result if calibration.

Make sure that the .PSD file has no ICC or profile impeded in it.
Im working off CR2's through Adobe Raw and in it, the CR2's open up with this profile:

Adobe RGB (1998); 16 bit; 5466 by 3644 (19.9MP); 300ppi

Thats the same information as the photographer's computer and Adobe Raw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
You might want to describe what you mean by saturated. If the colors looked way off, it may have been using an incorrect profile. If you had an external display connected to your macbook pro, it may have assigned the wrong thing when dragging between windows.
What I mean by saturated was actually that the blacks were very deep and rich on my computer then when we brought it up on his, they were flat or looked like i hadnt worked with them at all.

So contrasty? or a high black point?

Also yes I did drag the profile from his computer, to a public shared folder, then to my computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
The problem you described is most often a result of color management. What color space are the photos tagged with (AdobeRGB, sRGB, ProPhoto). Assuming you are using PS, what color space are you working in and are your color profile mismatch warnings turned on?
I dont think I do. is that the menu you find via Edit>Color Settings?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhitf20 View Post
Im working off CR2's through Adobe Raw and in it, the CR2's open up with this profile:

Adobe RGB (1998); 16 bit; 5466 by 3644 (19.9MP); 300ppi

Thats the same information as the photographer's computer and Adobe Raw.
That's pretty typical. If it's happening in photoshop, you have incorrect color settings. If it happens elsewhere there are a few programs that still don't manage color correctly. Try a few different ones. If it happens in almost everything outside of photoshop, you probably have a bad display profile, which is different from the profile embedded in your image.

In drastically (I mean drastically, don't read into this) over-simplified terms consider it this way. Your display profile establishes a coordinate basis relative to your display. Any embedded image profile is meant to allow you to assign values to your image in the form of coordinates in a way that they can be mapped between spaces in some meaningful and defined manner. It's how you get an image that appears correct on screen, and it's typically done by using what is called a profile connection space that maps the image into a larger space that is a superset of the source and destination profile, then into the destination profile.

It's an extremely rough explanation and I omitted things that would mislead you if you tried to read into it. Just make sure you have a good display profile for your display and make sure that upon opening it in photoshop it looks correct. If you are exporting something for the web, convert to sRGB first. That is basically your checklist for troubleshooting. Also note that display profiles are in fact stored in different places in your library folders. There are the user level ones, then the shared system level ones. OSX keeps them hidden by default. If you're looking for the folders try this. It's safer than renaming hidden folders via the terminal (can mess things up too easily).
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2015, 01:59 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhitf20 View Post

Also yes I did drag the profile from his computer, to a public shared folder, then to my computer.

I don't think I do. is that the menu you find via Edit>Color Settings?
Exactly what was the "profile" name that you dragged to your computer and where did you place? An ICC calibration file for someone else's PC and Monitor is embedded deep inside the Windows System folder. It will not work the same on another computer / monitor.

If you are referring to the color profile which was embedded in the file you got from the photographer that is a whole other thing. If you received RAW CR2 files, and they were not edited by the photog, then they actually are RAW and do not contain a color space profile which is only applied after you open and edit a RAW file. If the photog has already done some editing and has sent you RAW files, the RAW pixel data in that CR2 file is never changed. Any adjustments made by the photo are saved as a log of settings in Adobe Camera RAW and that log is either saved as sidecar file with the file type .xmp or that information is embedded in the metadata portion of the RAW file.

Yes, Edit>Color Settings has some key settings and is very possibly where your main problem lies. Please see the attachment below.
Ideally you should set your working RGB color space to whatever the photog wants you to return the edited files in. The most common ones are AdobeRGB and sRGB.
In the section called Color Management Policies, I recommend you set them to "Preserve Embedded Profiles" Since you are not very experienced working with Color Management, I suggest that you check all 3 boxes for Profile Mismatches and Missing Profiles. That way if you open a file with a color profile that does not match the space you are working in, you will see a dialog box informing you and offering some choices on how to handle the file and its ICC profile.

Cheers, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot1.jpg (165.8 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2015, 03:46 PM

You want to calibrate both displays to the same standard (D65 as an example) but in no way do you want to use the same profile for two different displays.

But all that aside, a Macbook Pro is not a good screen to retouch on. The contrast and dynamic range are too dependent on viewing angles and screen tilt, etc, and simply doesn't carry the full gamut that a wide gamut monitor will. No amount of color management can make an sRGB gamut monitor as saturated as an aRGB monitor.

If you plan on doing a lot of retouching you might look into a wide gamut IPS external monitor.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching