RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

HDR non destructively ala Steven Kelin

Old 01-25-2015, 06:40 AM

Re: HDR non destructively ala Steven Kelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
I don't know why do you insist that it is HDR.

It is not.

Have you been familiar with Photoshop, you would be able to create the same effect using Image\Adjustment\Shadow Highlights , just do what @Skooby recommended, you have many sliders to play with. Just apply selective masks at various densities for harmonious result. (I am not talking about the level of details or dynamic range, this is another story) - This discussion doesn't cover the link to the dark image.
Exactly. Start with an image that has enough detail and simillar lighting and go from there. That's a general rule for any retouch job.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insmac View Post
And these campaign are most likely shot on a tripod, nice 11-16 of aperture and so on. Lots of dynamic range available to play with.
Well sure. There's the detail where you actually see a benefit. Some of it is still clipped in processing, which was why I explained a bit about HDR encodings. You would typically process to something like Adobe 1998. Aside from a highly non-linear distribution of points that's applied at that point, any of the resulting points that fall out of gamut are clipped. With an HDR encoding they are "stored".

Quote:
Tell you what. I have the latest iphone and I'm really amazed how much detail can it pull in low end when using the HDR mode which is effectively a 3-exposure bracketing of something like -1/0/+1 EV. Yes it does have an optical image stabilization but regardless - it's pretty impressive for a stupid phone.
I've noticed, although it doesn't necessarily store the entire range after adjustments.

Quote:
In a nutshell, I'd say it's not an exotic voodoo going on but either a composite of the background and models (or a few more frames) or a simple shadows/highlights pull in Capture One and wrapped up in Photoshop for that signature High pass look albeit a little more balanced than the regular one (notice the halos around their heads).
I think the high pass or whatever was applied was probably done as a finishing effect. There is some haloing, which doesn't appear to be from web compression. You can really see it around the hair. I've mentioned this before, but you can sometimes see the same thing with gaussian blur. It just shows up as a dark edge rather than a light one. Actually that you see pronounced haloing is a pretty strong suggestion that they were not stored as HDRs (not that I thought they were) as otherwise it's unlikely that it would have been so pronounced.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2015, 12:36 AM

I like this threat, at least, it's not about skin retouching :P :P
rl-retouch: I understand what you say about "HDR". Lots of details and blance with Shadow/ Highlight, I try to find it for few years when look at Testino, Leibovitz, Sorentti work. But can't find anything. All of them was done by Dangin trick.
http://www.fashiongonerogue.com/alex...ing-kate-moss/
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2015, 02:09 AM

The haloing is very pronounced, but not necessarily an artefact.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seurat Bathers detail.jpg (42.9 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2015, 03:33 AM

if that not HDR, any idea how to archive details like this?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2015, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtechniques View Post
Dodge and burn combined with sharpening.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Have you considered the presentation of elements there and why you might associate its generalized appearance with hdr? You have high contrast when examined over a narrow or medium radius. You have very few truly deep shadows. You lack areas of little variation due to low exposure. You also have an atypical color palette. That's why I think you associate it with HDR, even when that would be an unnecessary production and post nightmare. You do have a lot of composite work, and it's likely that they took bare shots of that background or whatever elements were used to compose it. This means they may have more latitude when it comes to exposure of individual elements.

Overall I think approaching this as an application of HDR would yield an exercise in frustration when you get to the later stages, even if I could tell you how to set (most of) that up.

The McQueen ones are a little different. By that I mean that parts of that would be easier to achieve if you were using linear processing techniques. Bilateral filtering would be an easy way to achieve that crispy look on some of the highlights without a lot of user interaction. Even then it would be impractical for a skilled team, because there isn't an efficient way to deal with complex retouching of hdris in a way that retouchers would be accustomed to. Simple stuff such as removing tripod legs from spherical stitched shots isn't so bad, but photoshop doesn't offer a very good workflow for this. As for things that support HDR painting, there are specialty applications like sillouetteFX or you can use something like Krita paint on Windows or Linux (don't bother with the mac version). It's not really practical though when there is an established workflow that predates these features. What if someone asked you to do this a decade ago? There were virtually no stable hdr paint tools at the time outside of a couple highly proprietary codebases.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Go back and read my previous post, I told you how. There is no Push Button to it.

Get the HDR idea out of your mind. HDR, when done rihgt, it should not look like bad.

This is good HDR:
http://www.glassworksmultimedia.com/...oralGables.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2015, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
Go back and read my previous post, I told you how. There is no Push Button to it.

Get the HDR idea out of your mind. HDR, when done rihgt, it should not look like bad.

This is good HDR:
http://www.glassworksmultimedia.com/...oralGables.jpg
That is a very nice image and an excellent use of HDR. It's used quite a bit in generating backplates for images as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
That is a very nice image and an excellent use of HDR. It's used quite a bit in generating backplates for images as well.
By backplates, do you mean background? If not, please elaborate.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching