Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

HDR non destructively ala Steven Kelin

Old 02-14-2015, 01:49 PM
Re: HDR non destructively ala Steven Kelin

Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
By backplates, do you mean background? If not, please elaborate.
Background yeah... commonly referred to as a backplate if you're going to render an image of something into that environment. The background is often captured that way just to provide latitude, and typically a spherical panorama of the area would be captured as an hdr, allowing it to be used for more realistic environmental reflections. I was adding to your point that not everything HDR means overprocessed. Some of the principles could be very useful in a more general sense. It's just that there isn't a nice clean workflow that would work for something like the shots posted by the OP. The gains would also be minimal. You have a pretty wide dynamic range with some of the digital backs, but there are only a couple raw processors that have attempted to dump unclamped images to a tif, EXR, or HDR format. They also run best on Linux, whereas most of these guys will run OSX for anything other than (possibly) GMG. Now that I think about it, I don't know of any that aren't either beta status or unsupported on OSX.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching