RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Input on this process/look

Old 01-30-2015, 06:06 AM

Re: Input on this process/look

Klev: No worriesafter i studying my result further, i think i get what you mean by facial structure. Looking at the image especially right side, forehead area stands out..
And the backgrounds bothers me too, i should have paid more attention to hair masking as well, it melts into the background. I am trying to find another picture, where it is better separation between hair, and background. I will try to make new version of this.
I am aware of the effect using contrasting colors to create depth, and i see B&H uses it a lot.
You say it would be easier if i study differences bit by bit. One of my main concerns is the desaturated skin tone in B&H pictures.
What would be your approach to getting this type of desaturated/monochromatic skin without grey spots? tweaking channel mixer set to monochromatic, with lowered opacity?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2015, 12:25 PM

Re: Input on this process/look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Klev: No worriesafter i studying my result further, i think i get what you mean by facial structure. Looking at the image especially right side, forehead area stands out..
And the backgrounds bothers me too, i should have paid more attention to hair masking as well, it melts into the background. I am trying to find another picture, where it is better separation between hair, and background. I will try to make new version of this.
I am aware of the effect using contrasting colors to create depth, and i see B&H uses it a lot.
You say it would be easier if i study differences bit by bit. One of my main concerns is the desaturated skin tone in B&H pictures.
What would be your approach to getting this type of desaturated/monochromatic skin without grey spots? tweaking channel mixer set to monochromatic, with lowered opacity?
That's a reasonable question. I don't actually set channel mixer to monochromatic. I mentioned it because it can be helpful for color correction where you have the kind of trouble where everything starts to look like the same color. Sometimes the color balance tool does a decent job too, but its finicky. It's important to do a rough mask of the skin with some of this stuff. It can be a little soft, but pleasing skintones often need to be rendered independently of other surrounding elements. With many of the examples, they're a bit desaturated. It doesn't take much. The other aspect of it is that it's surrounded by elements of greater saturation. The color of the backgrounds, lips, garments, and other details are saturated or make use of a contrasting color, which makes the skin feel less saturated.

Let's say you managed to do something similar with the background. If you have a layer in place with masking that will work, you can adjust the background a bit. You may find that the skin doesn't require such a dramatic shift. I'll suggest on facial structure what I've suggested to everyone else (because it helped me), look up artist reference and anatomical illustrations. You'll eventually develop a greater understanding of it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching