Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Challenging faded photo

Old 03-13-2015, 10:28 AM
Re: Challenging faded photo

I would go with a nice B&W..
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2015, 02:25 AM

Thanks for the reply,
You'll have to excuse my ignorance,but,there are a few things in your description that i'm not sure i understand,i get the levels adjustment in each channel,i don't understand what you mean by " I then stamped the collection and started again",how do you know when you have the B&W luminosity about right?when you found another photo to get the other colours,did you use something like the eyedropper tool to sample the colour and use that or do it by eye?
Finally could you explain more on how you colorized the other areas on seperate layers,did you select a seperate layer for EACH colour or a seperate layer for EACH person?
Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2015, 01:03 PM
Smile Re: Challenging faded photo

Well I discovered that I needed to colorize the whole image. So I started in the beginning and used a black and white adjustment layer with the red filter preset and then a curves adjustment layer to adjust contrast. Then I stamped a new layer so I could proceed with other adjustments. Now on my first post I used the exact color on your photo that was on the Mickey Mouse Photo I discovered. But notice that it is faded. The reason was that the luminosity of the black and white layer below was too bright. So to replicate a more correct color I needed to lower the luminosity of the black and white image to increase the saturation of the color.

Here is an explanation. I made this example using two layers. The bottom layer is a gradient going from black to white. On the layer above I filled a selection with the Mickey Mouse Photo Pants color. On the red layer above, I used color as the layer blending mode. So in my example, I put a green star on the color of my first restore, and on Mickeys original I put a blue one.

So on the red swatch in colorize mode over the b&w gradient notice how the saturation fades as the underlying gradient gets lighter. Run your info tool over the red gradient and see the changes.

So on your photo,after lowering the luminosity of the b&w below the color layer above produced the proper color.

In most cases I put the colors on separate layers and each layer has a layer mask and is in a color blending mode.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colorize.jpg (190.8 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2015, 07:51 AM

Am still scratching my head a bit,got a lot on at work at the moment,as soon as i am able,i will try to sit down and absorb what you have explained,many thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching