RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Metallic silver retouch

Old 02-17-2015, 04:34 PM

Re: Metallic silver retouch

HDRI makes sense whatever the lighting source, you just need to know what you're doing. Light is just light. Size relative to the subject.

And the lighting doesn't need to be the same as the top bit of the tube, as long as it's believable.

P.S. I forgot to praise the OP. What you did is the best thing you could've done. I always say, when in doubt: outsource. You've got no headaches to deal with and you'll meet the deadline. And everyone is pleased with the result.

Last edited by skoobey; 02-17-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
HDRI makes sense whatever the lighting source, you just need to know what you're doing. Light is just light. Size relative to the subject.

And the lighting doesn't need to be the same as the top bit of the tube, as long as it's believable.
Hmm? You may have misunderstood. Okay in a given rendering program, you have light shaders and various GI methods that don't depend on source photography. Those are used to implement light sources in a given 3d package that are reasonably well tested. Bringing in HDRi is something you do to get more realistic environmental reflections, but it is slower. If you're just using something that was roughly painted by hand, you can obtain faster render times just attaching that to one of the lights provided by the CG package as an alpha or gobo or however they implemented it in that given package. Captured images of lights will have the same bits of non-uniformity and similar distributions, so using them for environmental reflection can produce a nice effect. For something small like a studio light being replicated you can model it out to scale in a few minutes or less and attach that as a texture. It works quite well, but it is slower. For the use of a couple gradients created in photoshop, do it the other way and save yourself some render time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2015, 12:26 AM

No disagreement here, I'm was just reffering to a recenet project I did, where I needed lots of chrome, and plenty of reflections to combine with an environment, so instead of bothering with lights I just added a "spotty" HDR as a global light and gotten the most reflections. Easier than setting up 30 light sources.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2015, 12:57 PM

Why would you need 30 light sources? I think you're conflating the use of HDRi imagery in global illumination and global illumination in general.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2015, 10:50 PM

Because I wanted round light sources all around the model to reflect on the model itself, giving it lots of little reflections.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching