RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Steven Klein, Mert and Marcus, all frauds.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:44 PM
Janitor

Re: Steven Klein, Mert and Marcus, all frauds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
I'm not sure whether you're trolling here
Oh, I am sure of it
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
I'm not sure whether you're trolling here, but it's obvious that you don't speak from experience. As for the photographers with perfect negatives, digital image processing doesn't really work that way. Response differs quite a bit from some of the various films. Even these guys chose specific films, development processes, and papers to achieve certain aesthetics, but that is really beside the point. The ones you complain about managed to build their own brands that have generated some form of value for their clients. None of those clients care how the images were produced.
And that is why none of their subjects look even real.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMac View Post
An entire week? Sorry, is that a typo? Did you perhaps mean "day"? Or maybe you meant hour?
No I meant a week, you clearly haven't seen the finished editorial and you clearly haven't seen the original photographs, were her hairline basically had to be reconstructed from scratch because you can see where the wig ends and her real scalp begins, as well as the wig adhesive basically, all of which has to be erased and rebuilt on photoshop because they couldn't bother to get it right in the shot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2015, 03:07 PM

blohan, please post the before/afters you speak of. You've got my curiosity.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blohan View Post
No I meant a week, you clearly haven't seen the finished editorial and you clearly haven't seen the original photographs, were her hairline basically had to be reconstructed from scratch because you can see where the wig ends and her real scalp begins, as well as the wig adhesive basically, all of which has to be erased and rebuilt on photoshop because they couldn't bother to get it right in the shot.
It wouldn't surprise me if it took a month of post production to achieve the final results. Mert and Marcus are great artists and their work is highly respected by those who know what they're talking about. You, on the other hand, are completely missing the point. The relatively short time required to fix hairlines etc is almost an irrelevance.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
It wouldn't surprise me if it took a month of post production to achieve the final results. Mert and Marcus are great artists and their work is highly respected by those who know what they're talking about. You, on the other hand, are completely missing the point. The relatively short time required to fix hairlines etc is almost an irrelevance.
Exactly what I was trying to tell him/her. Retouching is enhancing, so all that lovely tonal transitions are made in post, and that means someone, or a team of people, made it happen. It takes a lot of patience to nail the image dynamic. Fixing things is lesser part of the job even if it does involve moving fingers and toes and drawing a couple of hairs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Of course you wouldn't remember, you clearly don't know anything, your probably used to working for quacks that need their photographs built from scratch on post production, and what do you even know about greatness?? You are seriously wrong in the head if you consider Mert and Marcus great, how dare you disrespect true greats like Patrick Demarchelier, Irving Penn, Guy Bourdin and so many others, many of which had their photographs published straight from the negative because they were that good, what the hell do you even know?? Mediocrity. Nothing more. I'm done with talking to you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
blohan, please post the before/afters you speak of. You've got my curiosity.
I already did. As you can see from this picture http://41.media.tumblr.com/0ac6b44270b26ef7816cad03de3e3835/tumblr_nllsx0dPUp1ryxb20o1_400.jpg

and these others http://41.media.tumblr.com/4fc658e86...b20o1_1280.jpg

you can tell that not only did they had to rebuild her scalp from scratch on post production, they also had to comb the hair properly because in the original pictures, the parting of the hair is a mess, and the wig is all frizzy because they didn't bother to fix it properly. So, rebuilding the hairline from scratch, combing the hair on the computer and eliminating all the frizzy and out of place hair, some of which were in her eyes in the unprocessed shots, would be 3 to 4 days of post production on the hair ALONE, so yeah my calculations of it taking a week per picture are correct.

These are final shots were you can tell I'm right: https://madonnapictures.files.wordpr...2009/03/25.jpg

https://madonnapictures.files.wordpr...2009/03/04.jpg

Here are before and after shots of Mert and Marcus, the ones the other poster calls "great":

http://40.media.tumblr.com/e944b4c85...b20o1_1280.jpg

http://36.media.tumblr.com/45dbcaea4...b20o2_1280.jpg

I'd love to say that the before picture is just a test shot but no, that's the actual photoshoot.

Anyway, I'm done really, goobyee
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2015, 03:39 PM

You just don't have enough experience. I used to think that and got all worked up over the details, all the while I missed the big picture. I see it now in my assistants, they get lost in the detail, like the stray hairs, and miss that the hair is green and things like that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
You just don't have enough experience. I used to think that and got all worked up over the details, all the while I missed the big picture. I see it now in my assistants, they get lost in the detail, like the stray hairs, and miss that the hair is green and things like that.
And what do you know about the experience I've had or haven't had? If anything, I can say the opposite. If in your line of work, completely rebuilding hairlines in photoshop is customary, then you've been working with mediocrity as well as quacks selling snake oil.

No photographer worth their salt is going to allow a subject go into the set looking like this: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MFtEZtRTxa...te%252Bpng.png

Why? So that you have to completely rebuild her hairline from scratch to make it look like this:

http://perlbal.hi-pi.com/blog-images...1284835862.jpg

And that's just the hairline. Let's not even talk about the bad lighting, the bad color, which has to be done IN THE SHOT, YOU CANNOT HAVE COLOR CONTAMINATION IN THE SHOT, which this picture clearly has, and I can go on and on but I won't because you are mediocre and a waste of time.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching