RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Steven Klein, Mert and Marcus, all frauds.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:15 PM

Re: Steven Klein, Mert and Marcus, all frauds.

You are basically saying that people light things badly because they know the tools exist in photoshop to fix it??? lol my god what a delusional, extremely mediocre reasoning. Quack reasoning.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2015, 05:34 PM

You speak with great authority, Blohan. You must tell us a bit about yourself. What do you do for a living? What is your experience as a photographer? How many years have you been working as a pro? Do you shoot digital? Do you use photoshop? Is your learning from books or do you have real-world experience?
Etc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMac View Post
You speak with great authority, Blohan. You must tell us a bit about yourself. What do you do for a living? What is your experience as a photographer? How many years have you been working as a pro? Do you shoot digital? Do you use photoshop? Is your learning from books or do you have real-world experience?
Etc.
I went to art school and studied photography, and I've been working as a photographer, on and off for 10 years, I've shot film AND digital, I've used the dark room and currently photoshop, and what does that have to do with anything? Does it make you SEETHE that I say the truth about Klein? Even if my pictures were garbage, which believe me, they are not, what does that have to do with anything?

That's always the mediocre person's response to criticism. Attack the one who criticizes, even if they are right.

What else do you want to know?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2015, 05:46 PM

I'm also going to say something that is going to make everyone seethe. There is literally nothing that you can do in photoshop that wasn't possible to do in the darkroom. Literally nothing. Dodge and burn, the blur tool, the patch tool, all of that could be done manually in photoshop, and photographers did it for centuries.

The difference is that, before digital, no photographer worth their salt would ever take a picture of a model with a visible wig hairline like on Madonna, so that they have to reconstruct it in the dark room applying grease and dodging with pencils in the dark room. Nobody. No one would waste time doing that.

Now, nobody bothers to take a good picture because you can have somebody build it from scratch on the darkroom and hide the fact to the world that you are an ignorant quack.

And before everyone says anything about time, believe me, just fixing Madonna's wig in the Klein pictures and just fixing their makeup would take the same amount of time in photoshop as it would in the darkroom. And no real photographer is going to waste time doing that. They are simply not going to photograph anyone with such a tragic hairline. You get it on the shot or you don't get it, period.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2015, 05:51 PM

You're very angry. Go and break some rules - get it out of your system?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
You're very angry. Go and break some rules - get it out of your system?
lol that's fine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2015, 06:19 PM

I'm serious. Techniques are a means to an end, not an end in themselves. The end result is really what matters, whether it's a highly controlled Demarchelier tableau or a more expressive piece of work where post production comes to the fore. You seem to be closing your mind to anything that doesn't fit with your very narrow view of what makes good, or correct photography. Yes, it's important to study and understand the techniques of your craft, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't explore other approaches and develop your creative potential. Just because peoples' approach differs from yours doesn't necessarily make them wrong. Has it not occurred to you that perhaps they know more than you. Maybe they used to be where you are now but continued to develop and move on.
Techniques, approaches and styles are moving on. You need to open your mind to that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I'm serious. Techniques are a means to an end, not an end in themselves. The end result is really what matters, whether it's a highly controlled Demarchelier tableau or a more expressive piece of work where post production comes to the fore. You seem to be closing your mind to anything that doesn't fit with your very narrow view of what makes good, or correct photography. Yes, it's important to study and understand the techniques of your craft, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't explore other approaches and develop your creative potential. Just because peoples' approach differs from yours doesn't necessarily make them wrong. Has it not occurred to you that perhaps they know more than you. Maybe they used to be where you are now but continued to develop and move on.
Techniques, approaches and styles are moving on. You need to open your mind to that.
Yes they do know more than me, they know the art of being conmen. Of selling snake oil, of fooling a huge amount of people, something I am the first to acknowledge, know nothing about. That's an art in itself.

The key to this and many things is discernment. The discernment, the wisdom to know the difference. Do I despise digital art? I do not. But I know the difference between a photographer that can't take pictures and a photographer that does.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2015, 06:28 PM

Sounds like you've made your mind up. I'm signing off now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blohan View Post
This is the reasoning of someone that doesn't know how to light anything. Real photographers do not overexpose or underexpose to fix in photoshop, because it can't be fixed. It couldn't be fixed in the dark room then, it can't be fixed now. You cannot give detail to something that doesn't have it. All those shines, extreme whites, there is no detail there. That is why her skin is painted over with a beige color in photoshop because the actual lights are overexposed.

Who are you? Where do you work?? I am astonished that a professional working in the first world like I assume you are, can come up with such mediocre and ignorant reasoning.
I'm not lending a genuine response to someone who starts with personal attacks, especially when they misstate my previous post.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching