RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

is it better to start retouch with a flat image?

Old 04-14-2015, 03:47 PM

Re: is it better to start retouch with a flat imag

guys, i,ve been trying to keep up with everything you are saying but i kinda lost it. would you mind to give me some search terms so i can at least understand a bit about it? links or where to search will do too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renato Gonçalve View Post
guys, i,ve been trying to keep up with everything you are saying but i kinda lost it. would you mind to give me some search terms so i can at least understand a bit about it? links or where to search will do too.
You are fine, they lost it and went into fantasy land of magical color profiles that never were and endless possibilities that may or may not be.

Simply put: make your image look as much as your goal from start to finish. So, start with something that looks like you want final to look, just don't clip things in areas where you think you need detail.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2015, 06:11 PM

Renato, what Skoobey is suggesting is your request for more information isn’t worthwhile to you because the others besides him who are discussing (as an example, color profiles he believes are magical) are not useful to him. If you tell us what part of this discussion you need more information about, you’ll get your request fulfilled. Further, what Skoobey is suggesting is you just make the images look good, using some magic process that doesn’t require you or I learn anything, it just ‘happens’. Further, workflow, how one gets to point A to point B isn’t worth discussing here, just make it happen (make your image look as much as your goal from start to finish) and forget the details.

Renato, as I said, there isn’t a single topic here, be it ‘retouching’ or how images are encoded or how gamut affects images or how PhotoShop layers operate that we are born with, we all have to struggle to learn the craft and science. I applaud you for asking for more information, that’s the first step towards learning. Something we all had to do at one point or another (you’ll notice I’ve asked my share of questions here too).

So again, let’s start with a specific area that’s of confusion in this discussion and I’m sure one or more members here will try to assist.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2015, 06:20 PM

There is a topic, Renato asked does he need to make the image flat(er) in order to end up with a professional looking result.

My answer is no, he should make the image look closer to the final without compromising details in RAW development.

Then you guys went into discussing color profiles, and that is not the topic.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
There is a topic, Renato asked does he need to make Then you guys went into discussing color profiles, and that is not the topic.
Only one mention of profiles was made and has everything to do with the topic, that being getting data out of the raw converter (LR/ACR) without loss of color gamut, flat, fixed or otherwise.

Also examine post #29.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2015, 06:50 PM

You are right, agreed, it is the general topic, I just think that it's good to make sure that person who asked the question is actually helped before we start discussing things further.

So, I hope I've been constructive? See that green emoticon, sentence that preceded it was meant to be a joke(funny because it's true). Damn it Andrew, you are so serious all the time, we are here to have fun, learn and show, at least I am.

Last edited by skoobey; 04-14-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
Renato, what Skoobey is suggesting is your request for more information isn’t worthwhile to you because the others besides him who are discussing (as an example, color profiles he believes are magical) are not useful to him. If you tell us what part of this discussion you need more information about, you’ll get your request fulfilled. Further, what Skoobey is suggesting is you just make the images look good, using some magic process that doesn’t require you or I learn anything, it just ‘happens’. Further, workflow, how one gets to point A to point B isn’t worth discussing here, just make it happen (make your image look as much as your goal from start to finish) and forget the details.

Renato, as I said, there isn’t a single topic here, be it ‘retouching’ or how images are encoded or how gamut affects images or how PhotoShop layers operate that we are born with, we all have to struggle to learn the craft and science. I applaud you for asking for more information, that’s the first step towards learning. Something we all had to do at one point or another (you’ll notice I’ve asked my share of questions here too).

So again, let’s start with a specific area that’s of confusion in this discussion and I’m sure one or more members here will try to assist.
Thanks, Andrew.

I understand a bit about raw conversion but I wanted to know a bit more about how it is converted. Beside knowing how the raw converters work (ACR LR and C1) and knowing what to pull and push to make it fine, I don't have a clue about how the program goes from raw data to a very flexible work image. I know how light is captured in the camera and so but not so much of what the program does to it that makes the converter so important, and what are it's limits.
That's why I asked for some search terms, since I believe it would take a long time to explain here. But if you could give me a basic intro I just could go from there.

btw, your website is just full of great material. I've been reading alot about color manegement that there that i couldn't find somewhere else.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2015, 01:36 PM

Here’s a good primer on what a raw converter provides in terms of rendering flexibility:
http://www.lumita.com/site_media/wor...ring_image.pdf
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching