RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to make a live curve in photoshop...

Old 04-22-2015, 02:49 PM
Janitor

Re: How to make a live curve in photoshop...

I didn't notice he'd linked to his PSD file. I had some vague notion of using it to translate some misc. stack of adjustments into a curve, for visualization and educational purposes.

It didn't work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2015, 11:14 PM

A few years ago I found this badass PSD called "Adjustment Layer Inspector" that does just that and much more! It shows a live curve, plus live channels, hsl, etc.

http://www.gregapodaca.com/photoshop...files/007.html

http://www.gregapodaca.com/photoshop...cs/inspectors/

Hope this helps!

- Cameron
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2015, 12:16 AM

Thanks Cameron
I have bookmarked the link and also downloaded the file. I will use that to supplement what I have already put together.

While I find such tools useful, I also find it interesting that even though this person has versions of their tool(s) that go back to 2002, I have not seen it referenced in forums, books, or online tutorials/videos.

Maybe I have been blind to it posted elsewhere or the tool just has not been mainstream or caught on. I can see now it would be a narrow segment of folks that want to see how a Photoshop tools works while the broader segment may not care and just wants to the tool to do its job and get on with their work. I think I am one of those in the narrow segment. May be too difficult for the average person to see how it would be useful to them.

Thanks again for posting the links.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2015, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheeler View Post
Thanks Cameron
I have bookmarked the link and also downloaded the file. I will use that to supplement what I have already put together.

While I find such tools useful, I also find it interesting that even though this person has versions of their tool(s) that go back to 2002, I have not seen it referenced in forums, books, or online tutorials/videos.

Maybe I have been blind to it posted elsewhere or the tool just has not been mainstream or caught on. I can see now it would be a narrow segment of folks that want to see how a Photoshop tools works while the broader segment may not care and just wants to the tool to do its job and get on with their work. I think I am one of those in the narrow segment. May be too difficult for the average person to see how it would be useful to them.

Thanks again for posting the links.
He's got some cool tricks on there, like how to combine multiple adjustment layers into a single curves adjustment layer.

http://www.gregapodaca.com/photoshop...files/008.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2015, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronrad View Post
He's got some cool tricks on there, like how to combine multiple adjustment layers into a single curves adjustment layer.

http://www.gregapodaca.com/photoshop...files/008.html
I am familiar with the technique and it is cool (geeky cool). Yet just cause it is cool, does not mean it should be done or will be done. I suspect that it is the rare exception that anyone would take the time to implement those steps in a real workflow. I have tried that technique in the past (just for grins) and it works yet is it practical or have a real benefit?

For me (having a leaning towards geekiness), exploring PS features with my own similar tools has provided some good insights yet that may be far from the best way for other folks to learn.

Are there ways you use these tools in your regular workflow? Are there things you have learned with these tools that would be useful to other forum members in using PS or LR? Those insights would be worth sharing.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching