RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Is LUT adjusting valid retouching?

Old 04-18-2015, 08:58 PM

Re: Is LUT adjusting valid retouching?

LUTs have been around since CS6, couple years now, nothing new. At least to those that follow the feature progression of Photoshop functionality:

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/p...or-lookup-cs6/
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2015, 09:06 PM

What is LUT?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2015, 09:10 PM
Janitor

I'm glad I started this thread. I WAS conflating two different things. Cringing gone. Now I'm intrigued.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2015, 09:18 PM

Seems to be some fancy dancy way of doing an overall correction that only technically obsessed non retoucher experts use. Or don't, because they probably talk more than retouch. Pros have countless ways to achieve the same result.

Pros also have developed finely tuned BS filters. They can smell hype coming down the pike from Adobe before it's even announced. Every time they came out with a new version of Photoshop, there were probably ten new "features" that I ignored, but seemed to generate a lot of excitement in the amateur blogosphere. Sigh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2015, 09:41 PM
Janitor

It does strike me as being reminiscent of styles and presets, but looking at that lutcreator app makes me think there are some interesting possibilities. Maybe not for the retouching sphere, but definitely for the more creative or arty side of things.

It's really just the same old thing, since there really is only one thing. But it's a different way of looking at that, which may be useful to some, useless (or worse) to others.

I do find the absolute mapping (one specific number becomes another specific number) makes more sense to me in some ways than the relative mapping (add or subtract a number or percentage from some number). And there is a comfort factor for those coming from a film background (or that could just be me). But it does add an unfortunate layer of abstraction without an expensive additional program.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson View Post
It does strike me as being reminiscent of styles and presets, but looking at that lutcreator app makes me think there are some interesting possibilities.
Indeed. It’s just another tool. Use it, don’t use it but like any tool, don’t dismiss it outright until you know what it actually is. Some here appear to have stumbled upon the term for the first time. As I said elsewhere, it’s been around in Photoshop a couple of years and in other products and disciplines for a very long time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2015, 10:14 PM

And that crappy Dave Hill look has been around as long, but thank The Lord that fad is finally over.

Sometimes you have to have patience when the gadget heads get all jump up and down excited about the latest useless feature that Adobe just developed to wow the nerds at the next dog and pony show. This too, will pass, is the mantra. But quality retouching will always be needed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
Sometimes you have to have patience when the gadget heads get all jump up and down excited about the latest useless feature that Adobe just developed to wow the nerds at the next dog and pony show.
Right, it’s not the people using a kitchen knife as a screwdriver, cutting themselves and bleeding over their work, it’s the person making the tools, in this case, Adobe. There are a lot of tools in a product as large, complex and useful to many discipline outside “retouchers” working with Photoshop, but if not you, those tools are a dog and pony show and or course, useless. As usual, the ills of the world and specifically “retouchers” is Adobe. Really?

News flash, Photoshop is used by all kinds of people who don’t have give a damn about retouching.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2015, 10:34 PM

Listen, I'm going to bed now. Do me a favor and cut down on the coffee consumption, OK? It's not good for you. Oh, and take a deeper breath before you type again, OK?

As I said before, stay in LL and other forums that amateurs frequent. They like the mumbo jumbo. This is a retoucher's forum. I don't really give a damn about all of those people who use Photoshop and aren't retouchers. Well, until they try to tell me what's going on. Then it's just irritating.

Sleep tight.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2015, 03:04 AM

Well, in this article published on May 7, 2011 I don't read anything about Adobe and LUT:

http://nofilmschool.com/2011/05/what...ble-lut-anyway

LUT is completely useless if you want to apply it on uncorrected image. But if you work on an exhibition, for example, where all images were taken in one place and all of them will have same color look, LUT can be very helpful tool. Imagine that you have to color correct 90 images - you can just make basic corrections to all of them and then apply LUT. And finally you can make small touches to one of each to get desired look. It will save hours of your work.

Regarding 3D LUT Creator software - You do not have to use it just for creating LUTs. You will find a lot of unique color correcting tools there - and to be honest, I would expect that Adobe will invent them.

Quote from that article mentioned above:

"Nobody says you can’t apply a LUT for a creative grade, but be forewarned: if your shots don't match each other to begin with, they're not going to match after you’ve applied the LUT. In this instance, you’ve basically turned the LUT into a glorified color correction filter, which is not what it's intended to be."

Last edited by creativeretouch; 04-19-2015 at 03:21 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching