RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Is LUT adjusting valid retouching?

Old 04-19-2015, 06:54 AM

Re: Is LUT adjusting valid retouching?

What's up with all the hate? Seriously I don't get it. Either use it or you don't.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insmac View Post
What's up with all the hate? Seriously I don't get it. Either use it or you don't.
What’s up with whoever Benny Profane wants us to believe he is? He asks what a LUT is, without even attempting to search elsewhere for a PS capability that’s been around for 3 years. I guess he’s still working with CS5 or earlier but as you ask, why the hate? Why the BS? He got answers, than rants about ‘dog and pony shows‘ and ‘useless’ features in PS that are such because he doesn’t understand them or use them. He goes on to slam a process that a just minutes before doesn’t know exists: (Seems to be some fancy dancy way of doing an overall correction that only technically obsessed non retoucher experts use. Or don't, because they probably talk more than retouch).
Benny Profane sure talks....

He’s got zero transparency, is he really a ‘retoucher’? Whatever that’s supposed to be in his highly questionable thought process?

Ever see any of his work, before and after? Why is he so afraid of transparency? Check out his info here, is that his real name, does he have a web site, does he post such negative text elsewhere? What’s his chops so to speak?

Benny Profane sure wants us to think he’s a real life ‘retoucher’ and anyone or anything that isn’t falling into his predetermined prejudice should go away because “this is a forum for retouchers”. The guy is a legend in his own mind!

After a couple years reading his rants here while he hides behind an alias, I’ve come to the conclusion Benny Profane or whoever writes under that alias is anything but a retoucher, artist, or does anything creative and is a rather insecure little lad who wants others to think he’s pertinent. His writings often suggest otherwise.

So sleep tight little Benny, third stone from the sun, pixel ape, dream about retouching and changing the world one pixel at a time. Keep telling yourself:
I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like Me!
Oh wait, just the opposite, sorry.

Now, no one said LUTs were the end all, be all for retouching or otherwise. It’s a tool, it’s an interesting tool that one doesn’t need to dismiss solely out of ignorance. It may not be useful to some or even all retouchers (unlike BP, I will not pollute the forum and suggest LUTs have no role for any or all).

Last edited by andrewrodney; 04-19-2015 at 09:28 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeretouch View Post
Well, in this article published on May 7, 2011 Regarding 3D LUT Creator software - You do not have to use it just for creating LUTs. You will find a lot of unique color correcting tools there - and to be honest, I would expect that Adobe will invent them.
SpeedGrade will create LUTs. And you can download it along with the CC subscription which I have. The nice thing about LUT Creator from my readings (and I may buy it) is it is distilled for just this task, with a pretty nice GUI and set of tools.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2015, 10:37 AM

I'm actually a superhero who has a cave under my large estate with really fun crime fighting tools and vehicles at my disposal. (If you thought that motorcycle thing was cool, you ain't seen nothing yet.) Only my faithful butler knows my true identity. And that's just the way it's staying.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
I'm actually a superhero who has a cave under my large estate with really fun crime fighting tools and vehicles at my disposal. (If you thought that motorcycle thing was cool, you ain't seen nothing yet.) Only my faithful butler knows my true identity. And that's just the way it's staying.
As I wrote, he’s a legend in his own mind.
We can understand now, with good evidence the lack of transparency, examples of work and work experience and why that's just the way it's staying.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2015, 10:55 AM

Jeez, I hope your mom is still alive, because she is probably the only person in the world who likes you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
Jeez, I hope your mom is still alive, because she is probably the only person in the world who likes you.
She died at the ripe old age of 93 last December thank you.
Again, you look rather foolish speaking for everyone (she is probably the only person in the world who likes you).

That you are unwilling or unable to define yourself honestly and openly to others, but instead continue to go OT and troll is rather telling.

That you seem to dislike me is a badge of honor sir. And no, I don’t dislike you, I feel sorry for you. So unable to get around your obvious lack of self respect. So unable to prove any degree of accomplishment. At least you sleep at night and dream of being a ‘retoucher’. As such, sleep more, post here less.

At least know you know what a LUT is.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2015, 09:22 PM

http://3dlutcreator.com/ Interesting, Asdie from color remaping, it also has the ability to match colors.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=3d+lut

Adobe should include this or similar in CC, however, @ $299 , it is too much of an experiment giving the lack or English support, all real tutorials and how too are in Russian, too risky to spend big bucks on it.

In a brief conversation with the developer, he told me that it is currently in "crowd sourcing stage" , sounds like public beta to me, not for 299, get real. He made this comment when I asked "Is there any thing in English?"

Doug: Why not, it is just some sort of color mapping, canned color mapping if you just use the look up tables, creating them, is another ball game. It is not useful if abused, just like FS and host of other tools, as I said before in another post, you may use a hammer to drive a nail or use it to drive a hole into a Picasso!

Personally, I would use gradeiant maps a la Godmother's

Last edited by Aladdin; 04-19-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
http://3dlutcreator.com/ Interesting, Asdie from color remaping, it also has the ability to match colors.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=3d+lut

however, @ $299 , it is too much of an experiment giving the lack or English support, all real tutorials and how too are in Russian, too risky to spend big bucks on it.
There is an offer "Buy Pro version for the price of Standard" on the bottom of the page. I bought it one year ago and I am receiving free updates now. You will get your personal ID for installation. GUI is really intuitive and you can watch his videos. I am not connected to developer in any way.

I have a Pro version and it didn't cost me $299.

Btw. The price for Pro version on his site is $249 - where did you get extra $50?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2015, 02:02 AM

This one had me googling. In my long, but narrow experience, LUT's used to be curves that we applied prior to outputting an image for seps or transparency. Not for anything creative but to consistently apply various attributes such as UCR, GCR etc. From speed reading a few links it seems that this is now seen as colour modification tool with overt creative possibilities. I'll take a look at the demo when I have a bit more time but given that all my retouching work is of the seamless variety (fingers crossed!) and I am not called upon for extreme or serial colour effects, is the PS LUT process going to produce anything I can't achieve already with the PS toolset. I'd be interested to hear about any major benefits that'll improve or replace standard methods of correction, e.g. colour matching or changing blacks/whites to realistic highly saturated colours. Cheers.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching