RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What are those computers on the photoshoots?

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 02:15 PM
Janitor

Re: What are those computers on the photoshoots?

I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson View Post
I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude.
We are mere guests in your humble abode, Iím fine with that.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
Oh.........Kay. So, just curious, of you think her stuff is garbage, well, who do you think produces, well, non garbage?
The usual greats are still taking good pictures like Patrick Demarchelier, Steven Meisel, Ellen Von Unwerth, but even their work can't compare to what they used to do in the 80's and 90's and I really think it has to do with the INSANE amount of people that now works with them, it's insane.

But back to the topic, so all of those people are hired for the shoots and don't work all the time with the photographer?
Old 04-17-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blohan View Post
But back to the topic, so all of those people are hired for the shoots and don't work all the time with the photographer?
Yes......
No.......
Thatís about the best generalization of an answer anyone can provided.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
Yes......
No.......
Thatís about the best generalization of an answer anyone can provided.
and who are the people on the computers and how does it work? How do the image appears instantly on the computer and do they start retouching right away? Did they hide Steven Klein's and Mert and Marcus' horrific Madonna pictures?? I mean if I was as mediocre and a fraud as they are, I would never let anyone see my raw files, so how does it work?
Old 04-17-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
and who are the people on the computers and how does it work? How do the image appears instantly on the computer and do they start retouching right away?
While that isnít impossible, it would be silly; the shoot isnít finished, the images havenít been edited to separate the heroís from the losers.

Who are the people? IT DEPENDS. Why are we expected to answer questions that are so non specific that all we can do is produce severe generalizations?

Some of the people *may* be art directors, some *may* be makeup or stylists. Some *may* be the photographers assistants. Some *may* be the client(s). Some might be catching up on the last episode of Game of Thrones.

What is so wrong with people using modern technology to SEE the images that in the past couldnít be viewed until hours later, after the shoot was compelte when film was processed? Itís been done in the film industry for decades (thanks to Jerry Lewis).

When I was shooting (with one person as the subject or with a crew), we didnít have digital, we used Polaroids to check lighting, composition, that kind of stuff. This idea of sending the image to others to view during a shoot isnít a fundamentally new concept.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
While that isnít impossible, it would be silly; the shoot isnít finished, the images havenít been edited to separate the heroís from the losers.

Who are the people? IT DEPENDS. Why are we expected to answer questions that are so non specific that all we can do is produce severe generalizations?

Some of the people *may* be art directors, some *may* be makeup or stylists. Some *may* be the photographers assistants. Some *may* be the client(s). Some might be catching up on the last episode of Game of Thrones.

What is so wrong with people using modern technology to SEE the images that in the past couldnít be viewed until hours later, after the shoot was compelte when film was processed? Itís been done in the film industry for decades (thanks to Jerry Lewis).

When I was shooting (with one person as the subject or with a crew), we didnít have digital, we used Polaroids to check lighting, composition, that kind of stuff. This idea of sending the image to others to view during a shoot isnít a fundamentally new concept.
Are you daft?? How can the person sitting in that computer opening and manipulating the shots be a fucking stylist who can barely read and right?? You want to sound all mighty and knowledgeable yet you can't even understand my questions.

And there is nothing wrong with seeing the photographs while they are being shot, I'm merely stating that if my raw pictures looked as horrific as Steven Klein's and Mert and Marcus' raw files I wouldn't want anyone to see them because they don't even have the basic technicality of lighting and composition.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Are you daft?? How can the person sitting in that computer opening and manipulating the shots be a fucking stylist who can barely read and right??
What do you think now Doug?
This guy is as dumb as a bag of hammers and not nearly as charming.

Stylist who can barely read and right? A person sitting in that computer? Moron.

Last edited by andrewrodney; 04-17-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching