RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Certified Retoucher

Old 05-07-2015, 03:22 PM
Janitor

Re: Certified Retoucher

I got A+ certified last year. It's a pretty inconsequential certification as things go, and a different industry. It would certainly never get you a job. But it did get me some interviews I'd not have gotten otherwise. The same company offers more substantial certifications, as do many others, none of which I'll be pursuing, that will instantly get your shortlisted for most relevant jobs.

But more interestingly, they publish a directory so that any employer in need can instantly browse a listing of qualified potential candidates.

Sort of a shorthand for hirers that means "not a waste of your time to investigate".

So yes, your portfolio is what will get you hired. Certification would merely serve to get your portfolio seen, and perhaps raise the odds of being contacted.

Plus a portfolio gives no information about the retoucher like "do they do consistent work" or "can they meet a deadline" or even "are they easy to work with". Let alone more technical aspects like "can they Pantone match" or "are they comfortable with CMYK" (two random examples I've come across in the past, don't get distracted by the examples).
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2015, 04:14 PM

Well, you can always go to a school of applied arts and get a certificate, they will give you a diploma if you can do all the tests. Very simple, really, and same goes for every profession.

I'm not saying it's completely pointless, I am saying that some new "institution" that gives out certificates is a total scam, unless these are actually well known professionals. There are many certificate scams out there.

For example I do have a retouching certificate(hahaha, twist in the plot) as I attended a retouching course. Sure, I'd line up for a Pascal, Tarantino, Beene certificate, because employers know those names.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2015, 04:33 PM
Janitor

That's an easy board of directors to build (except for Dangin, he never answers my emails, but not impossible). And a board of that type (though much larger) is one of the foundations of my "idea".
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2015, 05:27 PM

Well it sure would look good in anyone's portfolio (especially junior to mid level) to be approved by a known name.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2015, 05:59 PM
Patron

Been thinking about this all day... I feel that a retouching certificate should have a hearty helping of design and color concepts. Another important thing is being able to explain *why* you did what you did. Technical skills matter but must be backed up by design/communication skills.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2015, 01:14 AM

Doug: Why certification in the first place? to guarantee what? I should have asked this question early on.

In my previous job as Systems Network Technical director for some Options Trading entity, I fired a guy, he had a phd in Computer Science! Why you might ask? He spent two weeks, relentlessly working on code and optimizing code to shave off 2.5 sec of a download process that would be used between the hours of 2 & 6 AM to download terminal image to trading floor Order Entry Terminal! I mean, who gives a hoot? no one on the trading floor at this time, no one is using the terminals and yet, he insisted to optimize the code over a period of two to three weeks to shave 2.5 sec. No common sense, no understanding of business requirements and no grasp of cost-benefit analysis to find if it is worth the time and effort. Yet, he holds a phd! go figure.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2015, 01:39 AM
Janitor

So you'd have had no interest in MCSE or similar on resumes or promotions at your previous job? Security+? They wouldn't have influenced you in the slightest? It's a rough analog to what I have in mind, just a stab at framing it within the framework of your example.

Personally, I'd never hire a PhD for production work, so that might be a bad example. Or perhaps an excellent example of the value of certification for production capability.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2015, 04:13 PM

No and no. We were under the gun by the Senate Finance committee and the SEC to deliver highly reliable, fail safe and secure systems, we had to have team of "street smart" developers, certificates and resume did not mean much, like you mentioned above, they might have helped the headhunter get them into the door, but it was the end of it. Whenever we posted an opening, we just listed the technology required, heck, we did not even ask for bachelor degree.

It was the interview process that was the deciding factor, you would have to go through 3 levels of interviews, non of them asked what is 1+1? team work (how are you going to fit in), street smartness (problem solving, not how to, but the methodology of solving) and good judgment (best solution) were the most important factors, we believed if you go through this, we will show you the road! We were welling to show you the how to and teach you the technology if you passed the interviews.

The interviews were more like discussions, nothing like the brain dead interviews by Google and FB.

Latter on, we refrained from hiring "prestigious" degrees. USELESS.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2015, 04:18 PM

@Aladdin

I think you are missing the point slightly here, I did too. It would be a beneficial to the retoucher to be reviewed by the industry expert.

Yes, it could be good for employment, but it's more to know where you stand as a retoucher.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2015, 08:01 PM

Hey, I wonder if all of those people from third world nations undercutting professional retouching labor costs in the west are ....... Certified?

Know any out of work "certified" IT folk who spent some time and money to get a diploma from Microsoft, only to watch that company off shore their possible jobs, of import workers from other countries?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching