RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Certified Retoucher

Old 05-09-2015, 01:37 AM

Re: Certified Retoucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson View Post
Personally, I'd never hire a PhD for production work, so that might be a bad example. Or perhaps an excellent example of the value of certification for production capability.
They get hired on films at times depending on their area of expertise. This can happen with certain areas of physics, and possibly statistics or certain branches of math. A PhD is awarded for research. Certifications mean that you you were able to pass a set of test criteria. They are not very open ended.

Quote:
Sort of a shorthand for hirers that means "not a waste of your time to investigate".
In theory yes, but they burden someone else with additional costs without necessarily generating value. This is especially true in an area like retouching where the number of people employed as retouchers isn't really that high. It's also not much of a growth market.

Quote:
So yes, your portfolio is what will get you hired. Certification would merely serve to get your portfolio seen, and perhaps raise the odds of being contacted.

Plus a portfolio gives no information about the retoucher like "do they do consistent work" or "can they meet a deadline" or even "are they easy to work with". Let alone more technical aspects like "can they Pantone match" or "are they comfortable with CMYK" (two random examples I've come across in the past, don't get distracted by the examples).
Certification processes don't tell anything about someone's reliability or personality. They don't fit well with formal testing. The other aspect is something where certification is overkill and useless without experience. You've thrown out a lot of very random ideas lately. I hope everything is okay.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2015, 02:06 AM
Janitor

Re: Certified Retoucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
This is especially true in an area like retouching where the number of people employed as retouchers isn't really that high. It's also not much of a growth market.
Which was the purpose of this thread, to test if there was a market.

Quote:
Certification processes don't tell anything about someone's reliability or personality. They don't fit well with formal testing.
Which is the gist of my "idea" and how it is new (and no, I won't be sharing the particulars just yet)

Quote:
You've thrown out a lot of very random ideas lately. I hope everything is okay.
I took a break from the forums for a couple of years, trusting it in the hands of moderators and only posting when I needed to. I'm back, and discovered almost all the moderators had left, and the place had generally fallen into neglect. My recent posting spate is actually just me back to normal and paying attention again.

But thanks for asking
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching