RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Log vs standard profile

Old 05-11-2015, 08:13 AM

Re: Log vs standard profile

If you shoot canon you can create a flat profile also or you could buy the profile.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudym View Post
You need the dcp log-gamma profile from color vision site.
Convert your raw file to dng
In the dng editor change the profile to the log-gamma it will be flat and looking like crappy.
Back to Photoshop and make your adjustments.
I use this workflow because I try to make my images look like film.
This is exactly what I'd like to do with VisionLOG. Also, I'd like to stay on Lightroom to create the DNG, change to the log-gamma and make my adjustments. No Photoshop.

I am also interested in the film look. I think VisionLOG makes a good .dcp profile that can be used to convert 5d2 raw to log color space.

What originally struck my interest is the description on their web site: "VisionLOG extracts all shadow and highlight detail from the sensors to maximize dynamic range and tonal gradation for color grading RAW stills".

I think the log-gamma approach makes sense for color grading.

I must admit I am after a David Fincher kind of look where the dynamics of light are compressed. There is clear detail in the shadow (no crushed blacks) while midtones and highlights are lowered to bring down the overall brightness. I think a log-gamma approach can help a lot where the whole dynamic range is crucial. Highlights are colored, tinted.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2015, 12:13 PM

It better to make your dng from adobe dng converter. Davinci Resolve will not see it as raw. I don't know why. If you use lightroom the you will need to open dng editor and load the log-gamma from Vision, create the dcp and open it it lightroom. I use Photoshop so I think lightroom will be the same.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2015, 09:46 AM

@Marameo

"I must admit I am after a David Fincher kind of look where the dynamics of light are compressed. There is clear detail in the shadow (no crushed blacks) while midtones and highlights are lowered to bring down the overall brightness. I think a log-gamma approach can help a lot where the whole dynamic range is crucial. Highlights are colored, tinted."

http://goodlight.us/writing/luminosi...tymasks-1.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2015, 04:38 PM

Yes, I thought about that! Also, I realized that Resolve with its unique log control lets you control and define where shadows, midtones and highlights border.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2015, 03:10 PM

Hope I was able to help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2015, 06:16 PM

Yes, I understand that grading for cinema is different from retouching for photography.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2015, 06:39 PM

They are all still images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudym View Post
Why do you want a "flat/low saturated image"?
Excellent question.
NONE of these techniques extend the dynamic range of the capture. That's a fixed attribute of the camera system (and why we use HDR when a single capture isn't sufficient). You can render the image flat or somewhat flat or contrasty, doesn't change the data the camera produced in the raw format.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2015, 11:18 AM

I found this very interesting:

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/art...61673&seqNum=5

"The original point of Log-style grading was to emulate, with digital tools, the color timing process in such a way as to enable digital colorists to create grades that wouldn’t stray too far from a color-timed result."

"The reason Log grading controls are still relevant is the increasing number of log-encoded camera acquisition formats, including camera raw formats that are debayered to a log-encoded result. It turns out that logarithmic encoding is still quite useful for efficiently moving a wide latitude of image data into a grading application’s image processing pipeline in order to achieve a reasonable balance between image quality and data throughput/processor performance."

"Additionally, when used in conjunction with true log-encoded media, Log controls encourage a very specific grading workflow that, while limiting in one sense, enable a creative aesthetic that’s tied to the history of cinema."
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching