RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

soft proofing settings help

Old 06-03-2015, 11:08 AM

Question soft proofing settings help

Hi

i have my monitor and my print papers calibrated with x-rite device

may i ask a question about soft proofing settings?

i have read and googled around ,haven't find a good answers

1)
for color image , which settings should i keep enable ?
black point compensation ON
simulate paper color ON
simulate black ink ON

2) and for black and white?

thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2015, 12:01 PM

Re: soft proofing settings help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantra View Post
Hi

i have my monitor and my print papers calibrated with x-rite device

may i ask a question about soft proofing settings?

i have read and googled around ,haven't find a good answers

1)
for color image , which settings should i keep enable ?
black point compensation ON
simulate paper color ON
simulate black ink ON

2) and for black and white?

thanks
Black point compensation - on
I never use the other settings.

For Black and White - do you mean greyscale?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2015, 03:55 PM

Yes, you should calibrate your monitor. Beyond that... it's anyone's guess, and the only time you need to worry about color proofing is when client sends you a specific color profile.

Things get printed and published in all sorts of ways and you are not the one controlling the presses.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2015, 07:24 PM

Simulate paper color reduces your white in an attempt to match the look of the paper when illuminated by a specific type of light source. The paper color thing is really about matching the color of that paper base, and you would adjust the brightness of either the source or the display for a closer match. It is not as meaningful under arbitrary lighting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2015, 07:54 PM

Using the Proof Setup with the default SWOP v2 profile is beneficial if you want to check for RGB gamut issues. Cmd + Y ( Ctrl + Y on a PC) is a quick way to take advantage of viewing your RGB file in CMYK without having to convert it.

That's all I use it for now.

As skoobey said, if a client sends you a specific color profile, or you are sending to a printer who offers custom profiles, proof setup can be used to review your files in these profiles before conversion to those profiles - If they send you a profile or offer one, you should use it if that color space will be the final color space.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2015, 12:43 AM

Question Re: soft proofing settings help

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
Yes, you should calibrate your monitor. Beyond that... it's anyone's guess, and the only time you need to worry about color proofing is when client sends you a specific color profile.

Things get printed and published in all sorts of ways and you are not the one controlling the presses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
Simulate paper color reduces your white in an attempt to match the look of the paper when illuminated by a specific type of light source. The paper color thing is really about matching the color of that paper base, and you would adjust the brightness of either the source or the display for a closer match. It is not as meaningful under arbitrary lighting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoku View Post
Using the Proof Setup with the default SWOP v2 profile is beneficial if you want to check for RGB gamut issues. Cmd + Y ( Ctrl + Y on a PC) is a quick way to take advantage of viewing your RGB file in CMYK without having to convert it.

That's all I use it for now.

As skoobey said, if a client sends you a specific color profile, or you are sending to a printer who offers custom profiles, proof setup can be used to review your files in these profiles before conversion to those profiles - If they send you a profile or offer one, you should use it if that color space will be the final color space.

Hi
i have monitor and papers calibrated
but the monitor is always more bright then the paper , so i need to print and compare the print with the monitor and increase the brightness to match my prints

could soft proofing help me in this?
avoid to make a print , and compare always with the monitor ?

thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2015, 01:06 AM

Quote:
but the monitor is always more bright then the paper , so i need to print and compare the print with the monitor and increase the brightness to match my prints
Your monitor emits more light than the paper reflects when viewed under that lighting. Can your monitor's brightness be turned down without losing an excessive amount of contrast? If so you should profile your display at a lower brightness level and work at that brightness level. Results will be better. I think I told you the same thing about a year ago.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2015, 04:27 AM

Dude, what papers? You are talking about cheap ink-jet? DON'T LOOK AT CRAPPY CRAPPY ink jet.
We calibrate for consistency, then the print operator adjusts thingsin order to make them look good at their machine or process. Relax and stop proofing things with cheap printers, that will get you no where. Only way to print is plates, and there are a couple of consistent professional printers but they are in the 10000+ USD range.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
Your monitor emits more light than the paper reflects when viewed under that lighting. Can your monitor's brightness be turned down without losing an excessive amount of contrast? If so you should profile your display at a lower brightness level and work at that brightness level. Results will be better. I think I told you the same thing about a year ago.
hi
good advise!
i tried to calibrate with x-rite @ 100 in the color munki preferences (so i had to decrease the brightness of my monitor) and i make a print , really better!

so soft proofing is useless, isn't it?

thanks Klev
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
hi

so soft proofing is useless, isn't it?
Soft Proofing is not useless, if your monitor is set-up correctly and you know where your files will be printed, and have the printer's profile (if they offer one).

We print hundreds of orders everyday, and most of our clients send in files that are too dark because what they see on their monitor is too bright. If your system is setup properly, what you get on your inkjet should be close to the proper density. The only issue that would remain are colors that an offset printer can't reproduce - an inkjet has more color capability than your average offset press.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching