RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Skin

Old 06-14-2015, 05:24 PM

Re: Skin

Hair is harder.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2015, 05:37 PM

Hair and pattern are the two things I didn't know about when I started doing this. If someone had told me that those are so difficult I might have dropped retouching.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2015, 04:18 AM

If you lose texture on the skin the images start to look like digital paintings more than actual photos. This is not a bad thing, I don't know what your target is.

There are several skin retouching techniques that can be used, depending on situation and target. If your requirements are to edit and keep realism, then this type of editing is not good.

First go on youtube and search "photoshop retouch skin", watch first 30-40 videos and you will get many tips. I say that many because many videos are bad tutorials. Don't believe 100% what they say, Just take notes and complete your knowledge, define your own editing style.

Then go on youtube and search "Photoshop Dodge & Burn". Well, you get an idea. In a few days you will master skin retouching!

Also a printed book by Scott Kelby would be very useful, google this guy.

Here is an example youtube tutorial with a many good tips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mGUK4QDeNE
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2015, 05:16 AM

Master skin retouching in few days? Maybe basic clean up. Noone became master painter in a few days. Years, sure.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2015, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulkris View Post
Then go on youtube and search "Photoshop Dodge & Burn". Well, you get an idea. In a few days you will master skin retouching!
I think this is a little misleading. First there are a lot of edge cases that come up even in something as fundamental as smoothing out skin. Second you don't just touch pores and blemishes. Any muscle and bone structure is described across the same surface, so maintaining that while smoothing undesirable elements all while staring at the screen for an extended period of time may take some real practice. I think that if you can learn to acknowledge some of these details early on, it's likely to shorten the learning curve. I still think it takes both practice and maturity of judgement. Anatomical mistakes should lessen with time, just like overdoing the smoothing part.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
Anatomical mistakes should lessen with time just like overdoing the smoothing part.
Amen, brother!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2015, 07:30 AM

Hmmm... The question was only about skin, so my answer was specific to that.

If you know photography and photoshop basics, I don't think you need years to learn a few skin retouching techniques like:
- (spot) healing brush
- a few frequency separation variations (different types of blur and blending modes)
- dodge and burn on a gray layer
- clone stamp (in some cases)

I speak from experience when I say you can get "ok" results after a week of learning.
When I got my first job, in the trial period, my first boss told me: you have 1 week to learn photoshop. You need to edit 1 image, use layers etc. I had no previous experience in photoshop, but I knew something about other software, design and vector graphics.

This is all I did 1 week: 1 image. I studied books like a mad man and consulted a professional photographer in my own free time, haven't slept too much etc. I knew that my future in that agency was tied to that 1 image. After 1 week I presented the file and was "ok, not bad". I really think you need to set realistic goals and realistic time frames for anything you decide to learn.

One other thing is that most photographers that I know (and worked with) are doing themselves and willing to pay for 10 - 15 minutes retouch / portrait or 20 - 40 min for full body. This is why I talk about the importance of a target. Retouchers are "beauty seekers" but more important is learning to make the clients happy and work with a limited budget. My point here is that it doesn't really pay the bills to learn 3 years skin retouching, unless you have a very specific client.

Obviously retouching is not only about skin smoothing. I agree with what @klev said, you need maturity and train your eyes to do the right decisions during the editing process.

Retouching can take years to learn if someone is starting from scratch. You learn faster if you have a background in arts, painting, drawing, anatomy etc. I started to edit images in 1999 and I'm still learning. I hope is more clear now what I meant to say in the first post.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2015, 11:18 AM

There are youtubers and there are retouchers. If you wanted to become a master painter would you rather watch Renoir and the Dutch Masters, or some college kid showing what he learned in his painting 101 class?

If you're going to put in the time, watch how the real retouchers work. Go to the RetouchPro rentals page and watch the videos by the world class retouchers: Chris Tarantino, Amy Dresser, Gry Garness, Carrie Beene.

It's a privilege to be able to watch the masters work. Don't deprive yourself the opportunity.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2015, 02:33 PM

My whole point being that there is no such thing as skin retouchng... either you know how to dodge and burn realistically(or in whatever style that you like), or you don't. Noone can just become a master by learning a couple of tools, simply never happened, so yes progress can be made in a couple of days but it's a difference between drawing a smiley face and painting like Velaskez.

Cloning is such a tiny part of the process, and I see the whole process as one big undertake, stages are only there to ensure more efficient work arrangement.

Exactly, if you are painter it's much easier, but it's not a guarantee either, because it requires speed, consistency, and an insane amount of patience with people and images (most paintings these days are effectively 640x480 with big brush strokes giving texture), most images are 7000x4000, and you can't work for days on your painting, as deadline needs to be met.

I mean, try it and if you like it now, you'll only like retouching more a s you progress, I'm just trying to break the illussion that this is a real easy job.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulkris View Post
Hmmm... The question was only about skin, so my answer was specific to that.

If you know photography and photoshop basics, I don't think you need years to learn a few skin retouching techniques like:
I didn't say years. Skin sits on top of muscles and bone. A lot of people pick up the easiest part quickly yet have absolutely no sense of judgement. They obliterate everything in the course of working on skin. It's strange to call them separate things when you can easily screw up one while working on the other.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching