RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Skin

Old 06-13-2015, 01:28 AM

Skin

I'm having a problem with skin toning and making skin look very smooth like in these pictures. What is the techniques to accomplish what is shown in both of these pictures. Is one using dodge and burn?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original-28817-1403716129-3.jpg (63.3 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg grid-cell-31676-1403717397-15.jpg (68.9 KB, 133 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2015, 03:26 AM

Re: Skin

Unless your objective is to over blur and/or ignore natural lighting I wouldn't strive to emulate these images in any way. Just Google images of skin retouching and it will yield far better results for you to reference and youtube, of course, has loads of tutorials.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2015, 04:18 AM

don't know why you like this skin retouch....try Portraiture by Imagenomic if you don't have time for D&B.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2015, 11:30 AM

Thank you, I seem to get splotchy results when I'm doing skin. I'm thinking I have to really study dodge and burn, which I do need a good tutorials. I've watched many on youtube but it's just not coming out the way I want them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab Martin View Post
I've watched many on youtube but it's just not coming out the way I want them.
That's because most of them are terrible. I can tell you the most frequent mistakes seen on here in case any of them apply to your situation.

People think too much in absolutes. For example they feel they need to use a soft brush, so they never alter brush hardness. Sometimes it would fix undesirable bleeding on other pixels, but it's just an example.

They don't test where their cursor actually goes in an objective manner. There's some amount of precision to this stuff, and the best way you can get an idea of how much control you have is to try a few rough shapes or letters on a blank canvas. It will tell you how accurate you really are.

They zoom in way too far. If you spend a lot of your time beyond 100%, you lose perspective for things. It doesn't make the work any better.

They know nothing about the anatomical structures in the face, shoulders, arms, etc. This leads people to create strange and often stupid looking highlights that make little sense, or render something too flat in the final, giving a really fake look.

I think you're most likely stuck with a combination of the last one and the accuracy issue by the way you describe it. If you think something is splotchy and you're just a bit off, you can just create new splotchiness. If you don't pay careful attention to various structures in the face and focus only on pores, you fall into the last trap.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2015, 03:13 PM

Dodge and burn is just a painting tool, like a crayon or a brush or spray or whatever. You need to understand the image.

This is why there and will be only a handful of decent and even less good retouchers. Retouching is discipline, patience, decisiveness, great taste that you're willing to throw out the window if client so asks and the actual labour.

Things are splotchy when they are not smooth. You're probably being to aggressive. Take your time on the image, but correct only what needs to be corrected. Don't go softening everything, there is no point in it.

First one obviously way too soft, you painted over the model with a huge brush. Second one way too inconsistent. No highlights on the chest and necklace, face splotchy and obviously the shading isn't fitting her anatomy. Hair has WB off, highlights are to white making it look gray, where it meets the neck is obvoiusly badly masked and it's supposed to affect the lighting of the face, this way it looks pasted on.

more_is_more.jpg Real messy but just so you understand that anything dark doesn't reflect as much light.

Last edited by skoobey; 06-13-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2015, 11:58 AM

Thank you, yes they are not very good and I've looked at so many my eyes crossed and after watching so many it's confusing. Use blur don't use blur, make a grey layer don't make a grey layer etc.

That's one reason I joined here was to learn. The reason I chose these examples (I did not do them) was it was almost like doll skin and I figured I'd get some technique and help. So if you could point me to a good tutorial for skin and skin toning I'd sure appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
That's because most of them are terrible. I can tell you the most frequent mistakes seen on here in case any of them apply to your situation.

People think too much in absolutes. For example they feel they need to use a soft brush, so they never alter brush hardness. Sometimes it would fix undesirable bleeding on other pixels, but it's just an example.

They don't test where their cursor actually goes in an objective manner. There's some amount of precision to this stuff, and the best way you can get an idea of how much control you have is to try a few rough shapes or letters on a blank canvas. It will tell you how accurate you really are.

They zoom in way too far. If you spend a lot of your time beyond 100%, you lose perspective for things. It doesn't make the work any better.

They know nothing about the anatomical structures in the face, shoulders, arms, etc. This leads people to create strange and often stupid looking highlights that make little sense, or render something too flat in the final, giving a really fake look.

I think you're most likely stuck with a combination of the last one and the accuracy issue by the way you describe it. If you think something is splotchy and you're just a bit off, you can just create new splotchiness. If you don't pay careful attention to various structures in the face and focus only on pores, you fall into the last trap.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2015, 12:02 PM

Hi Skoobey; I didn't do these, I just used them as an example. I'm trying to learn to be a good retoucher. I really love doing it so I was hoping I could learn from the greats on this forum. I wasn't sure if dodge and burn had a magical power as I always see people talking about using them.

Thank you for the good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
Dodge and burn is just a painting tool, like a crayon or a brush or spray or whatever. You need to understand the image.

This is why there and will be only a handful of decent and even less good retouchers. Retouching is discipline, patience, decisiveness, great taste that you're willing to throw out the window if client so asks and the actual labour.

Things are splotchy when they are not smooth. You're probably being to aggressive. Take your time on the image, but correct only what needs to be corrected. Don't go softening everything, there is no point in it.

First one obviously way too soft, you painted over the model with a huge brush. Second one way too inconsistent. No highlights on the chest and necklace, face splotchy and obviously the shading isn't fitting her anatomy. Hair has WB off, highlights are to white making it look gray, where it meets the neck is obvoiusly badly masked and it's supposed to affect the lighting of the face, this way it looks pasted on.

Attachment 95175 Real messy but just so you understand that anything dark doesn't reflect as much light.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab Martin View Post
So if you could point me to a good tutorial for skin and skin toning I'd sure appreciate it.
If I knew any really good ones, I would point you to them. I don't think that highly of subject specific ones in general. Even if they're done by someone very talented, you're likely to see more of a case study than anything, which may not be helpful in replicating it on your own work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2015, 02:05 PM

Well, they are all good. Gry Garness is definitely good, Chris Tarantino is also good(you can see both of them here, in the rent videos section of the site), also Carrie Beene, Pratik Naik.

But more than anything it's looking at great images and making yours look like that. Retouching, both for still and motion is a manual process, there is no trick, you simply have to understand what you want.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching