RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to get particular look in shadows.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:24 PM

Re: How to get particular look in shadows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwind View Post
If anyone figures out how to get exact histogram 'tale' without any bad transitions in shadow area let us know
Histograms are very misleading. They plot relative frequencies for a 2 dimensional image, and that tail isn't going to tell you much. What it says to me is that they used a method similar to what was described above on a raw image. The reason it produces that effect is that raw images (for the purpose of our discussion here, it's a lot more complicated than this and varies by raw processor) aren't clipped at 0 to 1 or 0 to 255 until they're processed. You also gain a bit of a tail if you're adjusting the black point to something that deviates from r=g=b = lower bound. Does that make sense? It appears as if he lifted it as Skoobey mentioned, then did a slight tweak on the shadow color. The peak and subsequent dropoff is a good indication that there isn't much happening outside that range, and it was probably clamped there previously.

That's about the best explanation anyone is going to give you on any forum. What I don't understand is why you aren't posting your current settings or attempts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
Attachment 95174 Like that.
you can do exactly the same in Lightroom using the Tone Curve
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2015, 12:47 AM

Which is what I initially suggested, but I can't seem to make and adjustment with only the black point, it results adding more points so it looks like a curve rather than a straight line?

Care to explain how to do this? I am mostly a Capture one user.

EDIT: Yep, linear curve can be made and edited in ACR using Point curve option, but it's not available in LR 3 for some reason? Maybe earlier or newer versions are different.

Last edited by skoobey; 06-14-2015 at 01:04 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2015, 04:57 AM

Place the cursor right in the bottom corner untli it turns into a double sided arrow. Once the cursor changes you can drag up and to the right the line
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2015, 05:06 AM

Oh and also on the bottom right there is a small image of a curve line.

Click on this icon to edit the point curve. If you hover the mouse over the curve icon, a speech balloon will appear and it will say"click to edit point curve"

Once you have clicked it you can then change the Balck point as discussed
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2015, 05:10 AM

Click on this icon in the bottom right
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (44.5 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by BayotR; 06-14-2015 at 05:15 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2015, 10:05 AM

YEEEES! That's what I was looking for! To get rid of those non-sense mid dark and light separation sliders. So, click on the icon to the right to get a "clean slate".
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2015, 12:13 PM

Red face Re: How to get particular look in shadows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
Histograms are very misleading. They plot relative frequencies for a 2 dimensional image, and that tail isn't going to tell you much. What it says to me is that they used a method similar to what was described above on a raw image. The reason it produces that effect is that raw images (for the purpose of our discussion here, it's a lot more complicated than this and varies by raw processor) aren't clipped at 0 to 1 or 0 to 255 until they're processed. You also gain a bit of a tail if you're adjusting the black point to something that deviates from r=g=b = lower bound. Does that make sense? It appears as if he lifted it as Skoobey mentioned, then did a slight tweak on the shadow color. The peak and subsequent dropoff is a good indication that there isn't much happening outside that range, and it was probably clamped there previously.

That's about the best explanation anyone is going to give you on any forum. What I don't understand is why you aren't posting your current settings or attempts.
This is really detailed explanation!

I didnt post any attempts, couse they all were unsuccessful. After a simple color toning of shadows the histogram started looking exactly the same. Thank you for your patience! I used very simple configuration of curves (attached).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg curves.jpg (22.8 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwind View Post
I used very simple configuration of curves (attached).
That might work. Be careful about using too many points in your curves, especially points that are spaced really closely like the second and third there. It can produce some undesirable results at times. Regarding results, I was curious how close they were and in what way they were off. When looking at things, I take a fairly iterative approach. There are some things where I rely on intuition, and others that I spot later. If it's going in the right direction, my adjustments typically become more subtle as I work on the image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2015, 09:43 AM

Most of the approaches that were posted so far will probably work. Nonetheless, I would like to add an idea that I think will give you a bit more control. (Personally, I dislike Lightroom and have no idea, if this can be achieved in Lightroom. I would do this in Photoshop, Capture One, Darktable or Rawtherapee.)

Anyway, to get that long tail (regardless if what we're seeing in the histogram is an artefact of r, g and b not being equal, or if this was done deliberately) I would suggest to combine a simple linear curve (lifting the black point) with a luminance mask; or, alternatively, with a parametric mask (usually called "blend-if sliders" in Photoshop). So...

1. Add an adjustment layer, and lift the black point straight up to were you want the main part of the histogram to start (after the long tail).
2. Then open the layer options (double click on the curve layer) and look for the sliders that are named "Blend If".
3. Hold down the Alt-key, click the leftmost slider of the "Underlying layer" (splitting it) and drag it a bit to the right, until the effect looks like what you want.

By using these parametric masks, you are effectively creating a smooth fade-in for the curve layer, which makes it pretty easy to control the length of the tail. Let me know, if this works for you.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching