RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

is there a color wheel for photoshop cc?

Old 06-16-2015, 01:50 AM

Question is there a color wheel for photoshop cc?

hi

is there a way to have a color wheel in photoshop to select a color and use it
to "color balance" an image ?

i know photoshop color balance adjustamanet layer has 3 sliders

what i would like to do is
1) have a color wheel
2) select a color for example # e8d2b0

3) and "color balance" the midtones with this color e8d2b0

can i do it ?

i know i can't do it with color balance adj. layer but maybe i can do it with another tool , like photo filter

can you please help me?

thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2015, 02:31 AM

Re: is there a color a color wheel for photoshop c

I think I get what you're asking.
I struggled with this a lot and in the end I found out that the best way is to paint on a color layer with small opacity.
Problematic thing about retouching, that doesn't exist in painting, is that you "shift" things rather then replace them, so everything is based on something, and lovely color transitions are rarely there in the real world. I also use gradient maps when things are a mess.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2015, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
I think I get what you're asking.
I struggled with this a lot and in the end I found out that the best way is to paint on a color layer with small opacity.
hi
do you use normal blend?
photofiter can 't do it,can it?

thanks

maybe they have added to cc 2015 like premiere cc...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2015, 12:08 PM

Brush to normal(makes no difference if it's set to color, lol, it's a new layer), layer to color blending mode.
I don't know what photofiter is.
What you're referring to in Premiere is basically a color balance tool, you can do that in PS using color balance and blend if sliders. And, as I said, it is for general things, you need to clone and draw color, just like you do with tone.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
Brush to normal(makes no difference if it's set to color, lol, it's a new layer), layer to color blending mode.
I don't know what photofiter is.
What you're referring to in Premiere is basically a color balance tool, you can do that in PS using color balance and blend if sliders. And, as I said, it is for general things, you need to clone and draw color, just like you do with tone.
hi
about photo filters adjustament layer

yes a color balance tool ,(about premiere) but let me me select a specific color , and not play with photoshop color balance sliders , because i will never get that color
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2015, 03:10 PM

It's the same thing, color shift based on luminosity. That's what those LUT guys are talking about.
I can only tell you that if you know what color you want, just simply painting on color is dead easy.

Video has those features because it's very very difficult to paint things frame by frame and required degree of precision in photography is much higher.

Last edited by skoobey; 06-16-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2015, 05:17 PM

Color layer with Blend If sliders will enable you to focus on the mid-tones, but you'll need some extra retouching to get the best result. See example of a greyscale image colorized in the mids using this method. Like a hammer without any further edits.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2015, 11:43 PM

Your color appearance depends on surrounding colors. Color doesn't exist by itself. You might choose the right color, but it would not look right if surrounding is different. You can choose tonal range with luminosity masking, and then color it the way you want it with any tool.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2015, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulack View Post
Your color appearance depends on surrounding colors. Color doesn't exist by itself. You might choose the right color, but it would not look right if surrounding is different. You can choose tonal range with luminosity masking, and then color it the way you want it with any tool.
thanks

maybe you know programs like canon digital professional or capture one , they have a color wheel to white balance , would like to do it with photoshop , at leat get the similar results
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2015, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantra View Post
thanks

maybe you know programs like canon digital professional or capture one , they have a color wheel to white balance , would like to do it with photoshop , at leat get the similar results
I like Shoku's answer, which isn't uncommon. When I think of adjusting midtones with some amount of tapering, the bases that we use to store color values of processed images in photoshop isn't really well suited to this kind of thing. It has been tested repeatedly, and it's just difficult to implement. Raw demosaiced data tends to be a closer fit to a linear gamma distribution, which creates fewer problems with a tool like that. Even if they created one in photoshop, it's unlikely that you would want to use it. I can say that the best approximation might be channel mixer. If it's a really tough image, try converting to 32 bpc first. That once again uses a linear gamma distribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulack View Post
A lot of people mention visual processing, but color is typically quantified in relation to cone response or radiometric measurements. It's because otherwise quantifying color would be a recursive problem. It already is with certain filter types, but those tend to run noticeably slow.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching