Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Clone Stamp for Just Color

Old 07-22-2015, 09:43 PM
Re: Clone Stamp for Just Color

Originally Posted by nrsm View Post
Wow. The responses, although good answers, were unnecessarily insulting to a guy who's been hanging around here since 2009.
That just means that he should know to include sufficient detail.

Note the

I'm going to assume that the problem is you want to work on a blank layer. When you want to use a blank layer, swap your blending modes between the layer and tool
When I write something, I try to include detail. If you look at his response, he didn't even acknowledge that an answer was given. That is beyond rude, and it just tells me that he's an inconsiderate person. I wrote one line telling him to write better questions, followed by around four trying to explain it in a restricted sense so that if someone else comes across this looking for the same information, they aren't misled by his ambiguity.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2015, 01:38 AM

Oh come on people. How was I rude? He asked a very vague question, I answered in great detail.

I absolutely hold no grudge against the OP, and the remark to google-ing it is because it's a very simple thing that has been answered time and time again. What am I to do, explain what layers are, when there are so many good explanations already(probably better ones than what I can provide, as I am not writing a book here).
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2015, 08:15 AM

For clarification, one response wasn't rude (sorry it was mixed in). Just didn't want to point fingers.

That's changed a bit.

It's NOT OK to be condescending or to belittle someone for not crafting a sentence to your personal standards. Implying poor language skills and name calling (see Jackass) is borderline abusive.

This is not the only thread where you have been disrespectful Klev.

Being offended at a lack of gratitude for your little nugget of wisdom, which seemed to be given grudgingly on the tail end of an insult, is completely egocentric. Trying to justify is worse.

Obviously you have advanced Photoshop knowledge and possibly skills, but if you don't have the patience to graciously answer questions, why bother?

Before this receives anymore views, maybe PM the original poster an apology, edit your first response leaving only the answer, and delete your other comments. I will delete mine.

Last edited by nrsm; 07-23-2015 at 10:01 AM. Reason: suggestion
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2015, 12:54 PM

Well I'm not getting into internet fights. Good day sir.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2015, 06:32 PM

Not much about good behaviour on forums in this "rule", but I'v seen "moderators" (other forums), zapping comments for less. My 2¢
RetouchPRO Rules
Although the administrators and moderators of RetouchPRO will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of RetouchPRO, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of RetouchPRO reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2015, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by postrophe View Post

Not much about good behaviour on forums in this "rule", but I'v seen "moderators" (other forums), zapping comments for less. My 2¢

Next step is to answer to year old comment.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2015, 05:32 PM

Alright, you guys...quit being condescending and abusive and rude wastes all of our time...and it takes up way too much of my reading time listening to you guys being crude.

Doug, If this behavior is noticed several times...i would dock a member for a few days...and if they didnt catch on and learn anything...and if they did it again afterward...I would block their participation. Coming here and ruining my experience here in this thread is not a RIGHT. You can go somewhere else and be caustic.

Doug you can ammend your "Site Use Policy" and include yourself... or a team of 3 final determinators...and specifically explain the boundaries in behavior here. Aside from your use policy saying that members views are not yours...construct the specific sentences to include rudeness, argumentation, demeaning, repeated put downs, bullying, disruptive in several threads etc. The trigger point for enforcement might possibly come when another "third party, or non involved member in the dispute... complains about the behavior in the same thread possibly. You could also add your own judgement as the owner and provider of the service if you like. Doug, YOU have a Right to exclude people who are making your brand experience look bad... or are using your own expensive server space to put people down or be argumentative. Put this in writing first...Update your abuse policy...and then you can enforce it whenever it is necessary... without guilt, or injustice, or partiality.

I would love to see this forum again be a "subject based forum" and not a place where people argue, and demean, and act rude to one another...and really annoy the rest of us... reading through it all...and wasting Our Time and Patience... having to suffer this Grief. It is SO nice when forums are helpful, subject centered, and not as a soapbox for members to personally or professionally attack and argue with one another.

A sour TONE at this site...drives older and newer users away... when they have to put up with 6 or 7 flames worth of reading time... just to get back to the good content.

So, Lets get back to the original question... about cloning without textures being transferred:
The clone stamp tool picks up the hue, the saturation, the luminance, and the texture of the sampled area...and uses that information to blend into the new stamped spot.

If you dont need texture to be picked up...just paint a non textured colored square close to the area you are working in. This would most likely be on a clear transparent layer above the original...and you would do your cloning also on another clear transparent layer above both of these layers...and then the clone stamp would be set to sample all layers.

You would then sample the clone from the non-textured square that you painted in...and then you would stamp on the area you are working on. This would transfer the color, the luminance, and the saturation...but not any texture. You didnt draw in any texture on the sample square.

Obviously you could (alt click with the paint brush) and sample the color to match the brightness, hue and saturation that you wanted to clone with. (Picking up the color without any texture associated with it).

Later could also delete this square on the separate layer from the image... after you got done using it. If you stamped onto a separate transparent layer also, minus the could then come back and then fix up that layer in many ways. You could erase or mask any areas you didnt want...or even clip a curve or a HSL adjustment layer to it... and adjust the final result however you liked. You could change any element of the clone afterwards...its color hue, the saturation, the luminance or the blend mode for example.

Last edited by ray12; 12-07-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2015, 05:28 PM

Every question is valid - no question is stupid. That's the basic tenant of any good teacher.

Everyone needs to get out of their ego and just answer the question in an informative, kind, instructive manner.

Ylwdog - Clone in Color mode is the simplest answer, but that often does not produce effective results. Using frequency separation layers may give you a better result. See this thread:
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching