RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Clone Stamp for Just Color

Old 07-20-2015, 06:21 AM

Question Clone Stamp for Just Color

Good morning-
I need to paint with color only and not texture. I tried changing the mode to color and hue but was not successful. How can I only paint with a sample color using the clone stamp?

thx-

Doug
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2015, 12:48 PM

Re: Clone Stamp for Just Color

I appreciate that you are learning, but at least try to google something before asking the question.

If you are cloning on an empty layer, the layer needs to be set to color... if you are cloning on the initial layer you can set the tool to color and be done with it.

This is because the clone tool affects color within the layer, and because the layer was empty it moves the pixels from below. Now the pixels are moved together with color, but because layer is set to "normal" it affects the layers bellow just like any other cloning, and in order to also affect color you would need to clone over the same spot twice. First time will fill up empty pixels and second time will affect color of the pixels.

Last edited by skoobey; 07-20-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2015, 04:59 PM

First learn to ask properly formatted questions. It's poorly written in its current form.

I'm going to assume that the problem is you want to work on a blank layer. When you want to use a blank layer, swap your blending modes between the layer and tool.

For example say you want mimic the ratio r : g : b relative to the sampled value, but you want r + g + b to remain constant. To achieve this on a layer that is entirely opaque and contains image data, such as your background layer or a copy of it, you would set your clone tool to color and leave your layer blending mode on normal. If you want to relegate the work to a blank layer and achieve the same effect, reverse the two. Now your clone tool is set to normal and your layer blending mode is set to color.

It's a somewhat general rule. I'm not going into edge cases.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2015, 05:02 PM

You know what... the heck w/ you guys.... ask a question and get a hard time... If you don't want to answer, then don't... But to start off reprimanding one for their question... who needs that?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylwdog View Post
You know what... the heck w/ you guys.... ask a question and get a hard time... If you don't want to answer, then don't... But to start off reprimanding one for their question... who needs that?
She just need a boyfriend. Ignore her. Put you clone mode in color. It would solve your problem.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I still gave you a well written answer. It would have been easier to write if I was sure of what you were asking. This means including relevant information. If you read the first line of it, you would see that I had to make some assumptions due to the omissions in your question.

That you just stuck to that part without even acknowledging a good answer tells me that you're a complete jackass.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2015, 01:03 AM

Quote:
+1000

There are way too many soapboxes around the net. Way too many self-proclaimed experts, you get the point.

You got your answer, run with it, don't pay attention. Granted, most of the answers are out there for google to find, however, if every one googles, there will be no need for sites like this.

Sites like RetouchPro adds value to the answer, I googled your question and found the answer out there, however, it was explained better here. Then again, why do you think sites like this, eventually deteriorates and loses membership?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2015, 08:15 AM
Janitor

I have noticed a drop in our famous hospitality lately. I'm open to suggestions as to how to address this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson View Post
I have noticed a drop in our famous hospitality lately. I'm open to suggestions as to how to address this.
That one was posted on a grumpy day for me. I still see lazy questions that omit way too many details, but I don't normally call them out on it. You'll notice a lot of first posts go unanswered. Some of them would still go unnoticed. Part of the issue there is that the similar posts suggestions tends to bring up threads from several years ago. Beyond that a lot of questions examine a concrete problem experienced by a single person yet pose it as a general question. This leads to a much longer response to cover all non trivial cases, guess work, or loss of interest.

What was telling here was that the person didn't even acknowledge that he was given two cogent answers. He focused on the wrong thing. Reading it back I'm not sure he's a native English speaker, which might make it more difficult.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2015, 04:05 PM

Wow. The responses, although good answers, were unnecessarily insulting to a guy who's been hanging around here since 2009. I'm sure that wasn't the original intent but to start calling names afterwards? Instead of trying to justify poor behavior - apologize. We all have bad days. Don't try to blame the original poster for being offended.

This site has plenty of users that ask questions or post concerns some of us may find simple or easy to Google. Still, most are graciously answered. It's also filled with one-timers looking to have work done for free in which case many others members oblige, then they're never heard from again.

I thought it was a good question about a specific tool's blend mode that isn't as well known. I'm sure that others beside myself learned something (after the initial shock of course). Isn't that the point of this forum?

Last edited by nrsm; 07-22-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching