RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

new db technique

Old 01-21-2016, 09:26 AM

Re: new db technique

Ok, now let's go back to the beginning.

Goal of every retouching is to produce a desired interpretation of the initial image. Looking convincing is essential. Real and convincing don't need to coincide.

Now, you can paint everything using the brush, if it looks good, it looks good. Pixel level DNB is there to either make "bad elements" less distracting or to "enhance good elements" like glitter for example. There are no general rules, it's art.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
Pixel level DNB is there to either make "bad elements" less distracting or to "enhance good elements" like glitter for example. There are no general rules, it's art.
I want to do things with integrity without going and take a shortcut. Yet, there are other ways of doing so called pixel level dnb that I'd love to point out and discuss with you.

Come to think of the dnb masks made up of tiny dots and lines I could not help notice that this result can be achieved with a different technique.

- Apply gauassian blur to the image and blend to darken mode; this should provide a visual aid to spot the "bad elements", the dark ones at least.

- Ctrl alt shift e and delete the previous layer.

- On the new layer apply other->high pass (small radious).

- Apply new threshold adjustment layer with level just a few below 128.

- On channle ctrl click on RGB and save (then invert and feather when applied on dnb curve).

Now this selection is not that far from the dnb mask I have seen around, is it?

This method brings to something like this.

Last edited by marameo; 02-01-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2016, 12:06 PM

To clarify the purpose of the above technique; now that I end up with a mask made of tiny dots I move up the adjustmant curve to even out those dark "bad elements" making them lighter. In order to even out the light "bad elements" making them darker I do the same process except that on the initial blurred layer I change blend mode to lighten insted of darken and apply new threshold adjustment layer where level above 128.

This is it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marameo View Post
I want to do things with integrity without going and take a shortcut. Yet, there are other ways of doing so called pixel level dnb that I'd love to point out and discuss with you.

Come to think of the dnb masks made up of tiny dots and lines I could not help notice that this result can be achieved with a different technique.

- Apply gauassian blur to the image and blend to darken mode; this should provide a visual aid to spot the "bad elements", the dark ones at least.

- On channle ctrl click on RGB and save (then invert and feather when applied on dnb curve).

Lol pretty cool seeing someone else do this as I have came across this technique myself a few months ago.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:

This is reasonably similar to several methods used in edge finding. You find edges, not "bad things". Most of those aren't bad things, which is why you have to be cautious with this kind of thing. I do look for the possibility of banding or dust that's otherwise difficult to spot. I would consider this to be a very misleading reference for more subtle work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2016, 01:52 AM

Well, if there is no correlation between bad elements and edges then this technique is pointless.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2016, 02:58 AM

Quote:
To clarify the purpose of the above technique; now that I end up with a mask made of tiny dots I move up the adjustmant curve to even out those dark "bad elements" making them lighter. In order to even out the light "bad elements" making them darker I do the same process except that on the initial blurred layer I change blend mode to lighten insted of darken and apply new threshold adjustment layer where level above 128.

This is it.
Edit: See this part you wrote above? This is basically undoing sharpening, but the results are likely to be worse than if you didn't apply it in the first place.

Quote:
Well, if there is no correlation between bad elements and edges then this technique is pointless.
You think in extremes quite a bit. I guess I wonder what problem that would actually solve for you and what you feel is holding you back right now. If you're worried about strong edges, try processing an image without sharpening. It can be applied selectively.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2016, 03:12 AM

Let me put this simply. If you need 10 layers to see something, that is not what you should be concerned with.

I think you would make more progress if you actually looked for constant feedback. Experimenting by yourself can lead to constantly overlooking crucial areas while being focused on less important things.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2016, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettelyoun View Post
Lol pretty cool seeing someone else do this as I have came across this technique myself a few months ago.
Does this technique provide the photo with some sort of a "flou" effect? Do you manage to maintain skin texture? I understand it depends a lot on the threshold values.

If so, I might prefer it over the frequency separation for quick retouch but it's still way far from the time-consuming "micro" dnb.

Horses for courses.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
If so, I might prefer it over the frequency separation for quick retouch but it's still way far from the time-consuming "micro" dnb.

Horses for courses.
I'll stop saying it after this, but I hope you come to realize that micro dnb and a lot of these other things just increase time spent and deliver worse results on average. If you plan on doing this for years, you will get very tired of that.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching