RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

new db technique

Old 02-29-2016, 08:29 PM

Re: new db technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by marameo View Post
I have noticed a retoucher that does the frequency separation before the actual dnb. It's not the usual healing on the high pass and blur on the low pass. Instead, a blank layer is put between those two pass layers and the retoucher continuously samples and paints to smooth out the tonal transition of the skin.

Is it helpful before getting down to dnb?

Thanks
It's changing the tones just like DNB. It can be useful for evening out some areas. Question is are you skilled enough to know when the amount and tone you're painting it's benefiting the image, and when it's starting to hurt it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettelyoun View Post
Just Heal/Clone on Lighten and Darken mode
When healing in Lighten mode with a small brush (6px) am I supposed to keep the hardness at 100% and continuously sampling but presssing the alt key?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2016, 02:59 PM

This link is a before/after I found on the web where the author shows his healing and dnb abilities. This one is the same file where on the left is my attempt. It still lacks texture though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2016, 08:29 PM

Neither of those are good because they don't improve upon the image. Power to change things is good, but you have to change them for the better. Lashes are not the focal point, and they should be(in this crop at least), and things look rather dull and flat(skin is muddy all over) around the cheek, and then go really crunchy around the brow, and between the nose and where the mouth would be if it were not out of the frame. The whole image lacks direction in general. Start with a better file(I'm talking about the lighting and angle of the face in relation to the message it's conveying).

Quote:
When healing in Lighten mode with a small brush (6px) am I supposed to keep the hardness at 100% and continuously sampling but pressing the alt key?
You're supposed to be doing whatever is giving you the results you're after. 6px is not some widely known industry value, and it depends o the size of your image, shape you're trying to affect etc.
You sample from a specific area to replace texture on another area. That being said, things will get pixelated using such small radius(the tool is calculating texture within 6px), so I would stamp instead. Same thing about softness, you make it blend, if it's a 100% hardness on a really crunchy area that will make it blend, then you use that, if it's a 0% hardness on a soft area that wil make it blend, then use that. I would, however advise you not to heal with a soft brush, because healing involves using a much larger area to sample from as compared to cloning, and thus you are softening a much larger portion of the result as your feather is much bigger.

Last edited by skoobey; 03-03-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
Question is are you skilled enough to know when the amount and tone you're painting it's benefiting the image, and when it's starting to hurt it?
I am not skilled enough. Yet, I believe if I use visual help I can understand where to paint. I have found out I can use a solarize curve in addition to the b&w layer to help detect the tones and the blemishes as show in this video.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2016, 02:15 PM

I used to do that, too. Looking back at it I think it just distracted me. What you really need to do is think over every move. Easiest way to do that is to either retouch your image, and constantly reference it to the sample of the image you like, or, even better, have a retouched version of a file, as well as the raw, and try to match that. At least it was beneficial to me.

I find all these retouchers applying methods to see the difference in hue and what not. Truth being you need to train yourself to recognize those without a ton of layers, because you're loosing perspective on the file when you're looking at a crazy rendition.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2016, 03:42 AM

Quote:
I am not skilled enough. Yet, I believe if I use visual help I can understand where to paint. I have found out I can use a solarize curve in addition to the b&w layer to help detect the tones and the blemishes as show in this video.
It might work against you. The times where I could see that being useful would be edge cases, such as difficult to spot acne, sensor dust, and potential banding. I wouldn't use that as a guide of where to smooth. I think you would make a lot of progress if you really tried to study this stuff closely without alteration.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2016, 05:42 AM

One can always apply those maps to sort of reverse engineering someone else's retouching. This video was very insightful after all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2016, 06:12 AM

I know it might sound ever so obviously but how would you go about dodging the background as in this photo? Here is the luminosity of the photo.

Curve, Exposure adjustment layer or something like a white solid layer in low opacity?

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2016, 12:11 PM

You open your image. Open the other file.

Pick color (all 3 values ,luminosity, hue, saturation), make a swatch ,and modify until it looks like a neutral sample (for example something that looks like color of skin, but not next to the pole, because that color is affected by the color of wood).
Then another for the main dress color, one for the sky...

Now, you have a color palette. You go to your image and start applying. NOW you think of color as separate from luminosity. You start dodging and burning to affect luminosity, and affecting color using color adjustments little by little until it resembles the sample. You can try to make one adjustment that fixes everything on top, like global skin, overall global contrast etc, but everything beyond that is done locally.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching