RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

new db technique

Old 04-12-2016, 01:43 AM

Re: new db technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
modify until it looks like a neutral sample
I believe I don't get this^

Yet, otherwise is clear; I pick color from sample image and correct the luminosity and color of my image to match the HSB values of the other file. What if I just affect hue instead of color? Saturation most of the time is ties to brightness.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2016, 04:04 AM

Hue is also tied to the brightness, although much less so. Saturation is also tied to the original file, meaning what you start with is also important.

I meant that you should try to match to a neutral area, one that is not contaminated by surrounding color. What I do sometimes is just slap on color with colorize, then refine it with a mask and additional adjustments.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2016, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marameo View Post
I know it might sound ever so obviously but how would you go about dodging the background as in this photo? Here is the luminosity of the photo.

Curve, Exposure adjustment layer or something like a white solid layer in low opacity?

Thanks
Things like exposure adjustment layers and solid color fill have the potential to make things look really weird. In the case of exposure, it might work out better if applied during raw processing, but you'll have trouble avoiding some clipping where you don't want it to appear. A solid white fill can be problematic in more than one area, but I think the significant issue with applying that to the background would be the edges of your mask.

The woman is taking significantly less light than the background, so it's really possible that it was pretty close already. They would processed it out a little bright, then deepened the skin a bit and color corrected as necessary on skin and garments. It's one of the easier approaches to such a problem. Usually you want to take an approach that doesn't take too many actions and isn't likely to break. It will leave you with fewer headaches.

Also keep in mind that it will be more difficult to avoid this looking weird if the background isn't pretty bright from the start.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2016, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
Also keep in mind that it will be more difficult to avoid this looking weird if the background isn't pretty bright from the start.
Oh yes as it would involve some crazy masking around the hair and that hay shade. It can be dark and look amazing, too, but they were smart an opted for less effort.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
Looking at the exif data of this image the exposure value is around EV13 (f/8 1/160 ISO-100) so pretty bright from the start.

Yet, I can feel there has been masking around the hair an those clouds could come from another image. I love this style a lot though!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2016, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marameo View Post
Yet, I can feel there has been masking around the hair an those clouds could come from another image. I love this style a lot though!
I would agree with you that there's some work around the hair. I'm a little skeptical that they would change clouds on this one, because that's more work and I don't think they would have intentionally gone for a hazier background. The pool water suggests that there were some clouds.

My thoughts on the earlier image were that she wasn't really facing the light source and it may have been modified slightly. As a result she could be much darker than the background. If they expose the image relative to the model's brightness, you do sometimes end up with a pretty stark difference in that kind of situation. I've seen similar things in raw image data.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching