RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to apply Pantone skin tones

Old 01-31-2016, 05:33 AM

Re: How to apply Pantone skin tones

Quote:
Originally Posted by german_raf View Post
Or CIE Lch, which is much easier to understand. What could be easier to describe the color through the lightness, chrome and hue? In this case (skintone), it is necessary to remember only the hue numbers.
Yep. It's called HSB...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2016, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Or CIE Lch, which is much easier to understand. What could be easier to describe the color through the lightness, chrome and hue? In this case (skintone), it is necessary to remember only the hue numbers.
You're reading too much into the name. If this was so practical, we would all use something like lms instead. After all we can't optimize around perception of color using a statically defined space, so we tend to describe perceived color by cone response over a constrained angle. LMS would give you a fairly decorrelated model. I would find that easier than Lch. That doesn't make it easier to generate a good result.

There are effectively dynamic components to human vision. Your vision is impacted by juxtaposed objects, and that (somewhat) messes up the simple model of remembering a hue.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
How would you view CIE Lch numbers in the Photoshop Info window?
No, you can use a Photoshop plug-in Firegrade (Nuclear light) that uses the tools of logic CIE Lch. Plugin support Lab and RGB color modes. But only in Lab you can get expected results. Is a new plug-in, but I use it for six months and must say it's cool. It allows you to control the color through Lightness, Chroma and Hue.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
Yep. It's called HSB...
Nope It's called Lch, really
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I agree, LCH which was what I used in LinoColor if memory serves is a bit more intuitive due to the 'odd' values for aStar and bStar. But the bottom line is, what you first learn to use is often more intuitive than the 2nd metric. Here in the US, most can't warp their heads around the metic system but it's fundamentally a more intuitive scale of numbers. People who worked for years with a 0-255 scale for RGB found the 0-100% scale in Lightroom difficult but really, if you had to each a new person one or the other, what's intuitive about 0-255? Take CMYK. The values, the scale of those numbers is really confusing to new people and unlike 0-255, isn't based on the encoding. The bad news, as pointed out, LCH isn't built into the Photoshop info palette.

Speaking of the PS info palette, for those on CC, we FINALLY get 10 simpler points instead of the older, lame 4. If you old down the Option key while toggling from say RGB to Lab, ALL the other sampler points existing or that you will place will now 'stick' to Lab. You don't have to alter them one at a time.

Now we could really use a better Info Palette whereby those sampler points could show more than one color model. I'd love to see each show me "Actual Color" and Lab. Maybe in 5 years....
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Yep. It's called HSB...
Lightness and Brightness are not the same.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
I agree, LCH which was what I used in LinoColor if memory serves is a bit more intuitive due to the 'odd' values for aStar and bStar.
Some my friends use LinoColor til now.

Quote:
The bad news, as pointed out, LCH isn't built into the Photoshop info palette.
The problem's not in this, but the fact that there is no Photoshop tools to control the color through the LCH. Plug-in, which I mentioned, it controls the color using LCH tools. But thinking requires reformatting logic LCH to successfully use it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Lightness and Brightness are not the same.
Neither are ego and helping...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2016, 02:00 PM

Smile Re: How to apply Pantone skin tones

Quote:
Neither are ego and helping...
Not sure what to make of such a comment. I can say, you've stated here twice the same misinformation and I've corrected you twice as did Tony, German. Sorry if the reality continues to ruin your life.

Page 4:
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...n-tones-4.html

Quote:
B in HSB is brightness while L in Lab is lightness and you're correct, they are not the same.

Brightness is a perceptual phenomena. Lightness is a perceptually scaled component of color, the axis seen in Lab (Lstar) from light to dark. It IS the L in HSL. Luminance is measurable. Brightness is the perception of Luminance.

Difference between Lightness and Brightness video (short and sweat):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq2y...ature=youtu.be
If you don't want to be called out for mistaken technical postings, don't make em.

Last edited by andrewrodney; 02-04-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2016, 04:27 AM

Quote:
There are 2 ways of affecting color in PS:

1.Pushing existing colors. And for that we use adjustment layers like curves, color balance, selective color, channel mixer, levels, hue/sat(but hue/sat only if the "colorize" option is not activated within it). All of those can be used for other things, but when set to "color" blending mode they affect color. BUT they affect it by pushing the already present color values.
I was playing with hue/sat in normal blending mode by adding samples with the eyedropper tool (reds 2) on the skin and I believe it does the job very well.

So if the hue/sat adjustment layer is set to normal mode am I "pushing" the existing colors or what? I have noticed that switching from normal to color will affect the L* values by one point and not the A* or B* in the palette readings.

Thanks
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching