RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to apply Pantone skin tones

Old 02-08-2016, 08:18 AM

Re: How to apply Pantone skin tones

What you are doing by adding samples is affecting certain areas based on hue(there is a slider at the bottom of the adjustment panel to let you further refine the area you're affecting).

"colorize" and "color blending mode"are two different options.

But since we are on the "blending mode". Hue saturation layer is basically acting the same way whether in normal or in color blending mode when in LAB(why you would want to work in LAB is beyond me ,but experimentation, I quess). Only time I managed to change the "L" is if I played with the lightness slider(if you blend the layer to color, then lightness will have no affect). That is not the case with RGB, you really do need that "color" blending mode to make things happen.

Yes, you are pushing the existing colors. Why does this work differently? Well, if something has no color to it, no matter how much you try to push the saturation up, you still end up with a gray area. Same works if something is absolutely red, for example, if the value is 256 in a big area, it'll be flat if you try to desaturate it. If you, however, use one of the methods that introduce color to an image, you will get whatever color you want. So why use the methods that only plays with existing colors? Because sometimes you like the colors as they are, and only want to give them a slight push in one direction or another, or you would like to keep the color variety that's already there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2016, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marameo View Post
I was playing with hue/sat in normal blending mode by adding samples with the eyedropper tool (reds 2) on the skin and I believe it does the job very well.
I have tried the same thing. I never really like the results.

Quote:
So if the hue/sat adjustment layer is set to normal mode am I "pushing" the existing colors or what? I have noticed that switching from normal to color will affect the L* values by one point and not the A* or B* in the palette readings.

Thanks
I don't understand your desire to work in LAB. It can result in strange problems in your blue range under some circumstances. I don't know what you mean by pushing existing colors. Color blending mode should lock the luminance value in place, but you don't necessarily want that. You should look at the results and avoid trying to reason about the names.

I have a suggestion since you seem to be convinced that something is lying there undiscovered.

Make a brightness contrast layer set to luminance in your preferred color space (some RGB variant or LAB). Turn brightness way up or way down. Get back to me on whether that is what you would really expect. I think you'll find that these modes can make it look like garbage under some circumstances.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2016, 02:11 AM

I am working in RGB and have the info palette readings set in LAB and CMYK.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2016, 02:33 AM

Quote:
I am working in RGB and have the info palette readings set in LAB and CMYK.
Ohh that makes sense now. Well my suggestion still applies if you would like to prove it to yourself. Hue saturation should keep L* approximately constant if you set it to color. I mean when it's set to color mode, it should approximately match the L* value that comes up when you click the hue saturation layer visibility off completely.

I avoid color mode most of the time, because it can mess up gradients. What I mean is that if you keep it locked to color mode, the difference in values starting from a given pixel going right, left, up, or down one is likely to change too much too much from the original difference. Does that make sense?

Those blending modes have their uses. Just be careful how you use them, because when the side effects show up, they can look really ugly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2016, 02:33 AM

Then that slight shift you're seeing is because Photoshop is converting one number to the other(from RGB to LAB). It's normal for all numbers to change because it's a different method of calculating the result, so none of the values correspond. This is way I use HSB as a reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post

Those blending modes have their uses. Just be careful how you use them, because when the side effects show up, they can look really ugly.
Agreed. Especially be careful not to go really far into one direction with one layer, then the opposite with another. Instead, go to back to your original adjustment and change that.

Last edited by skoobey; 02-09-2016 at 03:04 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I have tried the same thing. I never really like the results.
The great thing about hue/sat it is the eyedropper(s) and the slides to adjust the range, then I can mask out where desired. I don't get something similar with other tools thus forcing me to create a skin mask notwithstanding.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
The great thing about hue/sat it is the eyedropper(s) and the slides to adjust the range, then I can mask out where desired. I don't get something similar with other tools thus forcing me to create a skin mask notwithstanding.
I understand that, which is why I tried the same thing a long time ago.

I've never been able to get it quite right just by using restrictions based on color range whenever the adjustment is non-trivial. It's also necessary when I need to darken or lighten the rest (often just the background) to make the subject stand out.

My suggestions usually stick to the most general methods, because it ensures that people are as likely as possible to converge on a strong result in reasonable time. At least that is how I look at it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Select>Color range makes a selection based on color.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2016, 10:34 AM

Are the highlights, shadows and midtones tones in the Color Balance adjustment layer basically the same of the whites, blacks and neutrals of the Selective Color tool?

I have come to believe that Selective Color adjustment (on the red/yellow channel) can be a powerful tool for skin color grading.

Also, I have noticed the the "blue channel to multiply" method to make someone tan is similar to the b&w adjustment layer set to multiply at low opacity. It serves to build up more contrast. One more b&w adjustment layer can be set to screen in order to pop the highlights a bit. The area they affect can be more refined by the use of blend if sliders.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I know I suggested channel mixer for heavier corrections, but I certainly didn't suggest multiply. I don't set adjustment layers to anything but normal unless I have a specific reason to do so. I think it works well when you want to achieve a skin density that would otherwise be difficult. It still won't look right if you try to apply a significant tan to a pale model, because the highlights won't look correct.

On a side note, channel mixer can be a little complicated. Sometimes I have to use a few points of a negative value to get things just right. I think this is because the three channels aren't completely independent. They have some overlap in sensitivity range.
Is there much of a difference between Channel Mixer and Selective Color? They both can target red green and blue and have the CMYK/RGB sliders.

Last edited by marameo; 02-22-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching