RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to apply Pantone skin tones

Old 02-22-2016, 01:57 PM

Re: How to apply Pantone skin tones

Obviously, I am not confident with my knowledge of the channel mixer.

How can I interpret what is shown in the following picture?

Replace 30% of the red channel with the darker tone of the green channel (30% from green channel goes to red channel)?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2016, 02:02 PM

You should read the manual, all of these things are explained in great detail there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marameo View Post
Obviously, I am not confident with my knowledge of the channel mixer.

How can I interpret what is shown in the following picture?

Replace 30% of the red channel with the darker tone of the green channel (30% from green channel goes to red channel)?
Assume we have R, G, and B as starting channels. We are going to replace R with R'. In this case R' := 0.7 * R + 0.3 * G.

The same goes for the other channels. They use the as they are right before the application of that layer to remap as necessary. If green is darker, that's incidental. It's often darker, but this won't always be the case. I use this when one channel has very weak detail or I just want to make a significant color adjustment where other single adjustments provide unsatisfactory results. This is sometimes just easier for me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
You should read the manual, all of these things are explained in great detail there.
I have gone thru the manual but I don't find this great amount of details. The following is all there is to Channel Mixer:

The Channel Mixer adjustment options modify a targeted (output) color channel using a mix of the existing (source) color channels in the image. Color channels are grayscale images representing the tonal values of the color components in an image (RGB or CMYK). When you use the Channel Mixer, you are adding or subtracting grayscale data from a source channel to the targeted channel. You are not adding or subtracting colors to a specific color component as you do with the Selective Color adjustment.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I have gone thru the manual but I don't find this great amount of details. The following is all there is to Channel Mixer:
That's why I gave you the basic formula for your example. It's additive for any given channel. Notice how the starting point for red is 100, 0, 0. This means the new red channel is just:

1.0 * value of old red channel + 0 * value of old green channel + 0 * value of old blue channel

If you move the sliders, you are changing the weight values in that formula. It's not the most popular tool, but I have been able to achieve strong results in fewer layers using it.

Does that help at all?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
The Channel Mixer adjustment options modify a targeted (output) color channel using a mix of the existing (source) color channels in the image. Color channels are grayscale images representing the tonal values of the color components in an image (RGB or CMYK). When you use the Channel Mixer, you are adding or subtracting grayscale data from a source channel to the targeted channel. You are not adding or subtracting colors to a specific color component as you do with the Selective Color adjustment.
That truly does explain the tool. Try practicing tools one at a time instead of wondering in circles what to use. They all are really just basic basic tools, and it's your decision before you grab a tool that makes the real difference. Retouching is about small adjustments one at a time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
Does that help at all?
Is there more way to do it?

According to this video the channel mixer can be explained as this:

The output channel is red.

Green Slider: I drag it to the right it's going to put more red where the image has green. I drag it to the left it's going to put more cyan where the image has green.

Blue Slider: I drag it to the right it's going to put more red where the image has blue. I drag it to the left it's going to put more cyan where the image has blue.

Does it make sense?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2016, 07:51 AM

Makes sense because you're reducing the red. Opposite of red is cyan.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2016, 10:23 AM

I believe this video is really helpful. It covers Channel Mixer in CMYK to match a colour. It strikes me that the performance of the Channel Mixer depends on the color mode of the image.

When working in CMYK, increasing the numeric value of the color cyan or dragging its slider to the right increases the amount of cyan in the Cyan channel. Decreasing the numeric value or dragging to the left subtracts cyan from the channel. Adjusting the color slider of any other color, such as magenta, while the Cyan channel is targeted changes the amount of the cyan in the Cyan channel based on the relationship between the brightness values of magenta and cyan.

Last edited by marameo; 02-23-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2016, 10:41 AM

Lol. Well of course it does. Different channels will mix differently.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching