RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Skin Issue solution (TIF attached)

Old 01-29-2016, 11:13 PM

Skin Issue solution (TIF attached)

Hi,

Sorry for the new topic but here is the TIF file.
Nothing has changed just cropped. Came from the camera raw. Original resolution. I had to crop it down because I'm not allowed to show the whole photo. Sorry.

Here is the topic I referring to http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...type-like.html

Feel free to retouch it and try to avoid the plastic look. That is the point
I couldn't do that.

Last edited by testerke; 05-27-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2016, 11:21 PM

Re: Skin Issue solution (TIF attached)

Her skin isn't bad at all, but I wouldn't use so much sharpening. After that I might have more suggestions. I can spot some things that might bother you, and I can probably suggest a strategy to deal with them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2016, 11:39 PM

This is very good skin. Skin has a lot of texture due to the angle of the light.

In the other topic you don't like two industry standard skin looks(neither looks bad to me), and a pretty bumpy third sample that you like. Now that you've got that bumpy look in your own image, you don't like it?

"Plastic" look often isn't caused by the evenness but rather but incorrect anatomy. Can you show us what you think went wrong when you were working on the file?

Last edited by skoobey; 01-29-2016 at 11:53 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2016, 01:17 AM

I deleted unfortunately a couple of days ago. It was for practicing only.
I know her skin isn't bad but it's special because of the highlights.
I'm not sure but maybe the camera or lens + highlights cause this.

The problem was this:
I fixed the hard pores thing below her eye (maybe that was the problem I don't know). The only good solution was the Frequency Separation and then very gently D&B. I replaced the skin from another spot on High layer and it worked.
I tried several times to avoid the overcooked retouching but every time it started to look like plastic. Same as I showed in the another topic.
I hate when I can't handle something

I marked the spots.
The green was fine the yellow was medicore and the red was awful.
Of course there is forehead with yellow and red spots too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marked.jpg (99.9 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by testerke; 01-30-2016 at 01:28 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2016, 01:41 AM

You don't smooth out all those bumps, you just remove or reduce the most prominent ones, leave the rest alone. If you make everything completely even... well it doesn't look human because we are not completely even.

I tried retouching it and healing definitely doesn't work on those highlight areas, but cloning, especially in darken and lighten mode works just fine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2016, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testerke View Post
I deleted unfortunately a couple of days ago. It was for practicing only.
I know her skin isn't bad but it's special because of the highlights.
I'm not sure but maybe the camera or lens + highlights cause this.

The problem was this:
I fixed the hard pores thing below her eye (maybe that was the problem I don't know). The only good solution was the Frequency Separation and then very gently D&B. I replaced the skin from another spot on High layer and it worked.
I tried several times to avoid the overcooked retouching but every time it started to look like plastic. Same as I showed in the another topic.
I hate when I can't handle something

I marked the spots.
The green was fine the yellow was medicore and the red was awful.
Of course there is forehead with yellow and red spots too.
This is actually a very good attempt. I suggested lowering your capture sharpening setting to avoid so much clipping in the highlights. That will make it feel a bit softer. I would then clone out the bright spots that feel most out of place. We're probably talking about 30 or possibly fewer "dabs" total. I don't mean painting a big clone streak, just a precision click to get rid of the ones that really stand out. Once the worst ones go away the rest don't look as bad, assuming you don't inadvertently create new patterns. It's very easy to do that. If it's unavoidable, you fix it with a little burn and dodge or drag texture/pores around as necessary.

It generates acceptable results when I try that as is, but I think with slightly lower sharpening it would be better. I would then add it back wherever it's really needed. If I simply received a tiff file like this (I have received many that were heavily sharpened), I would take this approach. I move on to burn and dodge pretty quickly as I mentioned.

If one channel is really uneven, I use channel mixer. It's tricky, because sometimes if you want to weight it toward the green channel, you need a few points of negative blue. The channels aren't completely uncorrelated, which might be the reason I have experienced that.

I think this might be a little much, but try this for a little skintone evening. I'm assuming the intended profile is Adobe 1998.

Channel mixer
Red : 89 15 -5
Green :10 80 10
Blue :5 10 85

Nothing looks correct on my laptop, so I had to check on the big display. It's a more even color in color, even though that's a pretty big shift. I thought the highlights looked a little magenta, but I had to be careful not to invert that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2016, 02:57 PM

To work on highlights I did split frequency a second time on the low frequency layer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skin Issue222.jpg (407.8 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testerke View Post
Hi,

Sorry for the new topic but here is the TIF file.
Nothing has changed just cropped. Came from the camera raw. Original resolution. I had to crop it down because I'm not allowed to show the whole photo. Sorry.

Here is the topic I referring to http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...type-like.html

Feel free to retouch it and try to avoid the plastic look. That is the point
I couldn't do that.

TIF LINK: http://www4.zippyshare.com/v/Cb9tle1D/file.html
If I understand you right you don't like highlight areas. IMHO, there are too harsh the light and too oily skin (any MUA?) what gives these blown out skin spots. Do you mean these issues or something else?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching