RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Discuss: How to get this rich skin texture ?

Old 02-12-2017, 08:07 AM

Re: Discuss: How to get this rich skin texture ?

A face is not flat, it's round. So adding noise or using brushes makes no sense to me at all unless you do it on a 3D model. So the only way would be to use skin textures which already exists on that face or maybe flip a texture from one side to the other.

but there are too many problems:
a face is round, so the textures should be in the right perspectives
different light situations on the face
a skin on a face is like a landscape

but how to do enhance or oversharp existing skin texures? whats the best way to do it?
highpass or d&b?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2017, 01:28 PM

DND to make overall skin even, then sharpen to enhance texture. It's about what it looks like from a distance it's meant to be viewed from, not if it looks pixel perfect at 500% zoomed in.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi View Post
A face is not flat, it's round. So adding noise or using brushes makes no sense to me at all unless you do it on a 3D model. So the only way would be to use skin textures which already exists on that face or maybe flip a texture from one side to the other.
You misunderstand the point of adding noise, which should be done very sparingly. It hides a lack of fine detail/texture. If you want better detail, you need a combination of resolution, lack of camera shake, and lighting which properly emphasizes it. The other stuff is a collection of hacks, which you would only ever consider if you're forced to make the best of what you have available. They never produce ideal results under any circumstance, assuming the same person doing the work under the same basic time constraints.

Quote:

but how to do enhance or oversharp existing skin texures? whats the best way to do it?
highpass or d&b?
The best way is to avoid doing so, because it looks like shit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2017, 03:58 PM

even if you think it looks shit, it would be interesting to know more about it:

http://www.gavinoneill.com/wp-conten.../Janini_11.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
even if you think it looks shit, it would be interesting to know more about it:

http://www.gavinoneill.com/wp-conten.../Janini_11.jpg
Oh that's because you don't achieve that with sharpening at all. If anyone told you that they never tried it themselves. I suspect that if you compare to something like this, you will not be impressed with any results that use something akin to high pass.

Lighting helps. This was shot close up. Note the scale of the texture. Sharpening doesn't make that larger. In fact this isn't even overly sharp. Try to get the lighting. Darken the skin to give it contrast. Make sure the eyes have that nice contrast to prevent the entire thing from looking dark. You will be much closer to this than you would ever get using the nonsense that is high pass.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2017, 07:26 PM

That, in fact, is sharpened and quite crunchy. It looks good because the overall contrast makes sense in relation to the local contrast. Sharpening looks "overdone" when the image is soft, yet local detail is overwhelming. This isn't the case in the sample, and it looks great.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
That, in fact, is sharpened and quite crunchy.
It is a bit, and it has what looks like bad highlighting on the nose. I mean some people have a sharper peak along the bridge than others, but that still looks a bit done. The important thing however is that sharpening has very little to do with the appearance. It doesn't have halos, so it can't have been sharpened that much. It also wouldn't produce the deep skintone, which is necessary to carry that look. People only attribute it to sharpening, because they haven't reached a point where they are comfortable breaking down a look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2017, 10:31 PM

Please don't judge a picture if it's good or bad.
there is no good or bad at all. even a very plastic (d&b) looking retouching is a very popular style.

I just really would like to know step by step if there is a tutorial or an example layered PSD about this different techniques of getting a rich skin. i know its no just right away from the camera and i also saw this on pictures with wide aperture an non crazy sharp raw materials. it must be very simple cause a lot of people are doing it.

So if somebody can help me, I would be crazy thankful.

http://informate365.com.ve/wp-conten...r-Treats-1.jpg

https://share.kimkardashianwest.com/...1449513692.jpg

https://cdn.cloudpix.co/images/beach...arge-17187.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2017, 02:10 AM

Quote:
I believe you should consider something. The internet has been around for many years, yet you were clearly unable to find a guide for this. I believe the real problem lies in breaking down a look, and it's hard to make a guide for that.

I look at these, and I can't tell you ever step each person took to make each image, but I can tell you where to start. If I had to match one of them, I know how I would go about it.

I can guess what these looked like at the beginning. Two you have linked so far are black and white, featuring caucasian models with disproportionately dark skin. I know the shiny parts were at least mostly there when it was shot, especially in the forehead. I can tell you that because I have seen that in many raw files. The rest is just darkened in post. They maintain some lighter parts whether it's the eyes, the background, the clothing or whatever, because it ensures that the photo doesn't look dark. If you make everything dark, the image looks dark and flat. If it's only the skin, it fools your eye.

You can get most of this with a little masking. You can check other threads. People have asked this before you. This isn't a unique question, and most people aren't very satisfied when they try the more hacky methods. It's not that they never work. They just aren't consistent or reliable.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2017, 08:10 AM

Thumbs up Re: Discuss: How to get this rich skin texture ?

Quote:
Please don't judge a picture if it's good or bad.
there is no good or bad at all. even a very plastic (d&b) looking retouching is a very popular style.

I just really would like to know step by step if there is a tutorial or an example layered PSD about this different techniques of getting a rich skin. i know its no just right away from the camera and i also saw this on pictures with wide aperture an non crazy sharp raw materials. it must be very simple cause a lot of people are doing it.

http://informate365.com.ve/wp-conten...r-Treats-1.jpg

https://share.kimkardashianwest.com/...1449513692.jpg

https://cdn.cloudpix.co/images/beach...arge-17187.jpg
Now alll 3 are completely different. I told you, sharpen more and don't dnb smooth shapes if you want a blotchier result. What you paint is what you get. Besides, your work is already really good, there is no point in nitpicking.

Last edited by skoobey; 02-15-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching