RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Herb Ritts style help

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 02-27-2016, 01:26 PM
blohan blohan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 78
Re: Herb Ritts style help

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
There's a million different ways to convert color to B&W, here's a superb tutorial illustrating a number of differing methods:
http://mulita.com/blog/?p=1244

Here's how Herb's contemporary, Photographer Greg Gorman does his:
http://www.blackandwhitedigital.com/...ty/gorman.html
Thank you so much, I'll try it.
Reply With Quote top
  #12  
Old 02-29-2016, 03:42 AM
Aladdin's Avatar
Aladdin Aladdin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ/NY
Posts: 444
Re: Herb Ritts style help

Did it occur to you that the subject has real and deep tan to start with? Which brings us back to the subject of skin tone as stated above by Tony W.

In addition, this particular picture was shot utilizing hard-light. Soft-light is not meant for BW work, if you shoot using soft light, you will not achieve the required results.

Matter of fact, good BW starts with good planing, you don't just take any colored picture to convert it to BW. It is not an afterthought. You have to know ahead of thime that you are shooting for BW even though you are doing it in color. It is all about the Drama & Contrast, hence, HARD LIGHT!

Last edited by Aladdin; 02-29-2016 at 03:48 AM.
Reply With Quote top
  #13  
Old 02-29-2016, 04:03 AM
klev klev is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,109
Re: Herb Ritts style help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
Matter of fact, good BW starts with good planing, you don't just take any colored picture to convert it to BW. It is not an afterthought. You have to know ahead of thime that you are shooting for BW even though you are doing it in color. It is all about the Drama & Contrast, hence, HARD LIGHT!
Some of the shadows can be tapered down in post. I wouldn't use just hard light, as that can create problems. You have to be careful not to lose detail where you want it, and with really hard lights your acceptable margin of error drops quite a bit.

(I still agree with you. I just wanted to add those details.)
Reply With Quote top
  #14  
Old 02-29-2016, 12:00 PM
blohan blohan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 78
Re: Herb Ritts style help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
Did it occur to you that the subject has real and deep tan to start with? Which brings us back to the subject of skin tone as stated above by Tony W.

In addition, this particular picture was shot utilizing hard-light. Soft-light is not meant for BW work, if you shoot using soft light, you will not achieve the required results.

Matter of fact, good BW starts with good planing, you don't just take any colored picture to convert it to BW. It is not an afterthought. You have to know ahead of thime that you are shooting for BW even though you are doing it in color. It is all about the Drama & Contrast, hence, HARD LIGHT!
That is not true, soft-light works perfectly for black and white, as a matter of fact, Herb Ritts shot a lot of soft light too both natural and in the studio like on this picture: http://www.herbritts.com/wp-content/...1-945x1200.jpg

The point is to achieve the fine art look, a proper black and white, I have searched extensively the last few days online for it and to no avail.
Reply With Quote top
  #15  
Old 02-29-2016, 02:13 PM
Tony W's Avatar
Tony W Tony W is offline
Senior Member
Patron
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,415
Re: Herb Ritts style help

Quote:
Originally Posted by blohan View Post
That is not true, soft-light works perfectly for black and white, as a matter of fact, Herb Ritts shot a lot of soft light too both natural and in the studio like on this picture: http://www.herbritts.com/wp-content/...1-945x1200.jpg

The point is to achieve the fine art look, a proper black and white, I have searched extensively the last few days online for it and to no avail.
Aladdin gave you accurate advice. The particular image in your post used a harsh light source whether this was direct sunlight to the side low down or studio flash is not too clear. The highlight on the neck hair and cheek on the opposite side from the mainlight may have been the reflection of white wall/surface or additional lighting.

The model was either dark skinned or fake tanned and work undertaken either in post for digital or with film possibly shot with a blue filter and further darkened during processing.

Soft or hard light irrelevant for either B&W or Colour - the effect is important. A soft light e.g. via or through an umbrella becomes a hard/spot light once moved far enough from the subject.
Reply With Quote top
  #16  
Old 02-29-2016, 02:17 PM
blohan blohan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 78
Re: Herb Ritts style help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Aladdin gave you accurate advice. The particular image in your post used a harsh light source whether this was direct sunlight to the side low down or studio flash is not too clear. The highlight on the neck hair and cheek on the opposite side from the mainlight may have been the reflection of white wall/surface or additional lighting.

The model was either dark skinned or fake tanned and work undertaken either in post for digital or with film possibly shot with a blue filter and further darkened during processing.

Soft or hard light irrelevant for either B&W or Colour - the effect is important. A soft light e.g. via or through an umbrella becomes a hard/spot light once moved far enough from the subject.
That's a different subject and not really what I asked, Herb Ritts had his style, it was fan art and all his pictures looked like that whether it was harsh light or soft, I just want to learn how to properly do black and white post processing and I haven't been able to find a tutorial or anything that truly explains it.
Reply With Quote top
  #17  
Old 02-29-2016, 02:52 PM
Tony W's Avatar
Tony W Tony W is offline
Senior Member
Patron
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,415
Re: Herb Ritts style help

Originally you said relating to the high contrast image you posted
Quote:
Obviously my shots don't have the same light situation but I just can't get them to look anywhere near that.
Answer is. Obviously if your lighting and subject does not match your aim point (copy style) you are not going to get where you want to be. This will hold true until you are able to match the lighting conditions and subject matter of the image style you wish to mimic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blohan View Post
That's a different subject and not really what I asked, Herb Ritts had his style, it was fan art and all his pictures looked like that whether it was harsh light or soft...
It is a contradiction to imply that all images regardless of light harsh or soft look the same - they do not.

Quote:
I just want to learn how to properly do black and white post processing and I haven't been able to find a tutorial or anything that truly explains it.
The best way to learn is to have a B&W fine art print by the side of you and using your own image that closely matches learn and use the wonderful tools at your disposal in PS or similar to improve. You have picked a particular image here use that as a baseline for your own images - there is no shortcut, no magic or special filters involved.

Only a clear vision of where you want to be and the skill to use the tools you are provided with
Reply With Quote top
  #18  
Old 02-29-2016, 03:51 PM
blohan blohan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 78
Re: Herb Ritts style help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Originally you said relating to the high contrast image you posted Answer is. Obviously if your lighting and subject does not match your aim point (copy style) you are not going to get where you want to be. This will hold true until you are able to match the lighting conditions and subject matter of the image style you wish to mimic

It is a contradiction to imply that all images regardless of light harsh or soft look the same - they do not.

The best way to learn is to have a B&W fine art print by the side of you and using your own image that closely matches learn and use the wonderful tools at your disposal in PS or similar to improve. You have picked a particular image here use that as a baseline for your own images - there is no shortcut, no magic or special filters involved.

Only a clear vision of where you want to be and the skill to use the tools you are provided with
I've been doing this a long time, I know the basics, but I still can't get to fine art, you cannot do that by your eye alone, there is obviously some technique out there to make it happen, in the darkroom you would use the silver paper and other different types of paper to get that result, it just doesn't happen in the take, and you are just hanging up on one thing that I said that you misinterpreted and that's where you are, well fine, it's not what I meant and not what I asked, thank you for your input but I'd rather hear from somebody else that can help me.
Reply With Quote top
  #19  
Old 02-29-2016, 04:17 PM
Tony W's Avatar
Tony W Tony W is offline
Senior Member
Patron
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,415
Re: Herb Ritts style help

You are talking a load of nonsense once again. IF. you have been doing this a long time and you cannot get any further you really should re think if you should continue - this ain't rocket science.

Tell you what if you are really prepared to learn, post an image of your own and an image that you wish to mimic.

Don't waste anyone's time by posting an image that is too far away in style and lighting from your desired end point
Reply With Quote top
  #20  
Old 02-29-2016, 04:21 PM
blohan blohan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 78
Re: Herb Ritts style help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
You are talking a load of nonsense once again. IF. you have been doing this a long time and you cannot get any further you really should re think if you should continue - this ain't rocket science.

Tell you what if you are really prepared to learn, post an image of your own and an image that you wish to mimic.

Don't waste anyone's time by posting an image that is too far away in style and lighting from your desired end point
the lighting on the picture is irrelevant, there is a richness to his tones that is prevalent in every single picture, I can recognize a Ritts picture from a mile away, a Weston picture, a George Hurrell, because of their PROCESSING, the lighting is one thing, the processing is another, and the processing is what truly sets each artist apart and what makes the work identifiable. It's not my fault that you don't understand this. Are you even a photographer or just a retoucher?? Usually retouchers don't understand any of this.
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to get this picture style ?? labella Photo Retouching 2 02-07-2016 05:28 AM
layer style help ohiojr Photoshop Help 2 03-14-2012 10:05 PM
old style photo albums alewek Photography 6 02-21-2012 04:13 PM
Help with style Hatty Photo Retouching 1 05-30-2011 07:44 AM
Impressionist plugin: Troubleshooting Cheryl H Photo-Art Resources 34 06-15-2009 11:13 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved